DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air balloon shows are a "NO" for drones....but are Kite shows a no also ?

MavicFlyer2

Premium Pilot
Reactions
We're having a Kite show on 1 or our area lakes soon and checked to see if drone flights are clear and found this on the FAA - FNS NOTAM Search page:
Understanding these are just notices not flight restrictions ?

This is on the FAA - FNS NOTAM SEARCH page and the CLASS: Obstruction NOTAM#: 02/012
BST KITE WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 1NM RADIUS OF 451000N0935225W (1.2NM WNW CFE) 1450FT (450FT AGL) FLAGGED 2302111400-2302112300

Would drone flights be clear to shoot some aerial material around the edges of the Kites ?

Hopefully someone who is better at deciphering notams will chime in but it appears to me to be a warning of an obstruction not a TFR. To a manned aircraft this would be a section of airspace to avoid obviously. To me it means the same for a drone pilot. You could call one of the info numbers on the notam. Having said all that, if you do buzz around these kite flyers I would definitely contact the organizer first. You could end up with a lot of POed people.

Hopefully someone who is better at deciphering notams will chime in but it appears to me to be a warning of an obstruction not a TFR. To a manned aircraft this would be a section of airspace to avoid obviously. To me it means the same for a drone pilot. You could call one of the info numbers on the notam. Having said all that, if you do buzz around these kite flyers I would definitely contact the organizer first. You could end up with a lot of POed people.
Most defiantly I'll talk to the person in charge of the event first for permission and I agree, there's no need to step on any toes because this is a family fun event for all.

We actually have a Kites on Ice event today in Buffalo, MN and I was considering flying from the opposite side of the lake.

That is a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) and it is not a TFR. One reason might be that airplanes are supposed to stay 1000' above people, places and things and I'd be surprised of those kites are going to go that high. It's not impossible but I doubt it. And its area is 1 NM radius of the 451000N 0935225W.

As stated above, NOTAM, not a TFR.

Kites are tethered and balloons are aircraft that may require a TFR in the area.

That is a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) and it is not a TFR. One reason might be that airplanes are supposed to stay 1000' above people, places and things and I'd be surprised of those kites are going to go that high. It's not impossible but I doubt it. And its area is 1 NM radius of the 451000N 0935225W.
NOTAM's and TFR's....so many acronyms and every one is important and ALL have their place in our line of work and/or enjoyment of flying our drones....I had a very good conversation with the coordinator of the event and received the approval to fly....safety and communication is important to us both also I was told another drone will be on-site for there event too.
I'll be wearing my "Drone Operator Vest" for better visibility for sure :)Thumbswayup.
Thank you to all for commenting back and safe flying !

As a kite flyer for over 40 years I would definitely contact the organizer. Single line kites are fairly stable in the air but the lines are nearly invisible. Multi line kites move VERY fast and the lines can sever fingers if not careful. I would do my own kites flying solo in a field. Probably would not get to near an organized fly.

We're having a Kite show on 1 or our area lakes soon and checked to see if drone flights are clear and found this on the FAA - FNS NOTAM Search page:

This is on the FAA - FNS NOTAM SEARCH page and the CLASS: Obstruction NOTAM#: 02/012
BST KITE WI AN AREA DEFINED AS 1NM RADIUS OF 451000N0935225W (1.2NM WNW CFE) 1450FT (450FT AGL) FLAGGED 2302111400-2302112300

Would drone flights be clear to shoot some aerial material around the edges of the Kites ?
Besides making sure you're allowed by the organizer, there are certainly a lot of safety issues at stake here. Will you be flying over participants? We have some great guys on here better equipped in answering this question @Vic Moss and @BigAl07 and may respond soon.

According to the wording of that NOTAM, it is just an advisory. You can legally fly there, but check in with the Air Boss of the show. They may not want you to. Use your best judgement in that case.

If it's a registered NOTAM it applies to drones as well. You'll probably find it crops up on the DJI fly safe map closer to the date. The 2 nm diameter surrounding the take-off point is clearly registered.

Besides making sure you're allowed by the organizer, there are certainly a lot of safety issues at stake here. Will you be flying over participants? We have some great guys on here better equipped in answering this question @Vic Moss and @BigAl07 and may respond soon.
I'll be along and around the edges....I did do a low, with the gimbal angled upwards, flight on the edge of the front kites (kites on the upward wind side). I had a number of people asking basic questions about the drone. How much do they cost, do I need to be licensed to fly one, how long have you been droning etc....
Everything went very well and the weather was great for the event ! We had a good time out on the ice.

I'll be along and around the edges....I did do a low, with the gimbal angled upwards, flight on the edge of the front kites (kites on the upward wind side). I had a number of people asking basic questions about the drone. How much do they cost, do I need to be licensed to fly one, how long have you been droning etc....
Everything went very well and the weather was great for the event ! We had a good time out on the ice.
Thank you for getting back with the results. I was wondering how it would go. On one hand you are honoring the kite fliers by doing video and or pictures and the other side of the coin would be if the fliers felt interfered with. Great to hear it went well and everybody enjoyed everything going on. Obviously you shared the air well. Win, win for all and good ambassadorship for drone use.

Reactions: MavicFlyer2
According to the wording of that NOTAM, it is just an advisory. You can legally fly there, but check in with the Air Boss of the show. They may not want you to. Use your best judgement in that case.
Thanks Vic
Looking forward to seeing the show once you post in the Video/Photo

Thanks Vic

Looking forward to seeing the show once you post in the Video/Photo
It'll be fun doing the "Kites on Ice" video and photos...sorry to say though but it's going to be a little while before I can get to it. I'll most defiantly let you know when I post it !

I've been able to do some work on the "Kite's on Ice" event that I received the go ahead to fly back in February. Still working on putting the video together but here's a 360° panorama I stitched together a few days ago of the event. The weather was perfect for both kite flyers and spectator's and soon I'll have a video to post also !

360° Panorama on Buffalo Lake in Buffalo Mn. ( Kites on the Ice )

Too cool.

Literally. :cool:

Thanks for sharing.

Nice picture. Can I do that with a mavic 3?
I would think so.....I don't fly the Mavic 3 but you can look in your photo settings and see if there's a pano selection available.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J