DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air or Platinum for Vietnam

Fred Viet

Reactions
Hi guys,

I'm living in Vietnam and I will be doing a tourist website with some videos drone.

I'm looking for information for 2 weeks on which drone to choose between the Air and the Platinum. I know there are plenty of topics and Videos comparing the both but my need is a bit specific:

1- I will be riding for 1 year with my motorcycle here with all my gears on the bike, so I won't live in a house anymore and have all my stuff in a bag, going from a hotel to another.

2- I will be filming touristic places and activities such as: Waterfalls, Beaches, Zip Lines, Attractions Parks, Monuments...

3- Piloting a drone in Vietnam is illegal without the authorisation of the government, and I won't be able to have it, even if I could have it 1 day authorisation cost 300$, but most of drones' owners fly without problems here.

4- I have a 2013 Macbook air with 8 gb of RAM, and 256 SSD, do you think it's enough to edit the videos? I'm not looking for a super fast editing, I have time to do it.

My concerns are:

1- I don't want to annoy people with the noise of the drone, and I don't want them to look at the drone while I'm taking my footages, I would like them to behave naturally, and I don't want the police to be attracted by the noise of the drone.

2- I'm wondering if a Mavic Air with 2 additional batteries ( so around 45 minutes) has enough flight time to capture all the footages I want of 1 location without having to come back a second time.

3- I watch videos of the travel bags of the Air Combo and Platinum Combo and they look pretty similar in size, even having the Platinum a bigger drone.

So from your experience guys, piloting your Air in places where there are people annoys them or catch their attention so they look at the drone? Is the flight time with 2 additional batteries enough to do your footages in 1 session? Owners of the both travel bags see a big difference in the sizes?

The Air Combo here is the same price as in the US, 1000$, but the platinum Combo is much cheaper, 1230$ compare to the 1400$ in the US, both of them at the DJI online store.

As I told you before, I will have my drone in a backpack on my bike for a year, so space is a little concern but not that much, but I see the gimbal of the Platinum is more fragile than the Air, do you think with all the bumps, vibrations, shaking, that it could damage the gimbal of the Platinum?

I know the Platinum is quieter than the Air, so I'm wondering if flying not too close but not too far ever from people when I will film at a waterfall for exemple will annoy them or not?

Thank you very much for your replies and excuse my English mistakes, I'm French ;)

Go to the following site and select the Air and the Platinum as the two that you wish to compare. By the time you have compared all the specs, it should be clear which is right for you.

Note, in particular, that the Platinum has a narrower field of view; not mentioned is that you can zoom the lens 2.0X. Also, the flight time is longer.

With regard to people below seeing your quadcopter (avoid use of the word "drone" as it scares people), when you are at sufficient height, it is very difficult to either hear or see the aircraft.

BTW, IMO the Alpine White Mavic Pro (the Combo is on sale on DJI) appears less intimidating than the other two versions -- and it may also be more difficult to see when overhead.

Consumer Drones Comparison- DJI

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
User711