DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air versus Shiny New Pro2

Inferior to what? Your comment suggests that anyone who doesn't have the same list of priorities/values as you is wrong, which is not only ignorant, but hypocritical as you are putting down others in an attempt to justify your own decision.

If I bought an Inspire 2, should I then go to the Mavic Pro forums and **** on everyone for buying an inferior product? Or do you think maybe there are legitimate reasons people might want to own one instead of the other? It sure sounds like your definition of inferior simply means something different than whatever you bought.

You also seemed to glaze over the fact that many Air owners think adding a Mavic 2 Pro to their kit as a compliment sounds like a great idea as they have very different skill sets.

Please don't feed the troll :)

Reactions: tiparoch
I love the Air, especially the size. I like most people wish it had better connectivity and was quieter. Has anyone heard anything about a new version that would be quieter and maybe have Occusync? I have been holding back on the Mavic 2 because of the size but I would be first in line if they came out with a revamped Air or even just made quiter blades available.

I do a lot of driving to Europe in a 2 seater sports car so space is limited. I am a hobby photographer (have downsized from a Nikon D810 with pro lenses to a Sony RX10 (amazing camera) and always wanted an airborne camera. The Air pretty much ticks the boxes for me in terms of size and portability and I'm happy with the footage and stills. However, I wish it has a zoom lens and that may push me towards the bigger unit.

Here's a side by side size comparison. The Pro 2 is a humongous beast compared to the air!

Definitely glad I purchased the Air, there's no way I'd make the investment in the Pro 2 without seeing how amazing the Air is. I'll definitely be keeping her around even with the pro.

20180827_104224-jpg.44379

Yeah the Pro is cool, but you just can't beat the size of the Air!

The air is cool, but.. you cant beat the range of the Mavics.

The air is cool, but.. you cant beat the range of the Mavics.
Yes agree but if you cannot see it while you are flying....well you know the story . As for me I've done the FCC hack but pretty much keep it within line of site --- guys are getting 5km + range in a standard set up.

I can live with periodic connectivity losses from time to time but the noise level isn't well liked by neighbors.

I do to, but there is still a lot of noise. I like my white Air because it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb in the sky. The larger darker Mavic 2 will alert everyone of it's presence. I know it's better because you can see the drone better with a darker color.

In the pic it shows 3 MA batteries being charged with a unit that shows voltage etc. I have a similar unit and the other day it came up with an error message, Have you any manual etc that lists the error messages. Mine said ERROR 1, It now won't charge. THANKS

Hey Womble

That's just a cheap hub I bought for like $5 on ebay. If the batteries charge from the main charger, I'd just buy a new charger hub from ebay... if you need a link to the one I bought let me know. It's simple electronics, I'd just throw it away and get a new one.

Thoughts about MAir vs. M Pro/Pro2 after having traveled over seas with MAir.

I recently returned from an overseas trip. I thought a lot before departure which bird to take; (have both MPro and MAir), I opted for MAir. Mostly good. I went to a few countries. One country drones of all kinds were not allowed to fly (but was my 1st country on the trip). I got in and out with now problems, and did NOT fly. Next place I flew in 1 location and got some pretty sweet footage BUT I did miss a few things...

Flight Time, It seemed I was always coming up on a low battery. I took the 5 batteries I own and of course I could swap them out, but a few times, especially at sunset I really missed the flight time of a MPro.

Course Lock/Home Lock, I wanted to do some fly-by pans etc. I really missed that. Tap and Fly just doesn't cut it. The Point of Interest function was not practical in a few places (getting on top of a subject) . Also I used the 'Circle Mode' but it would get lost after a bit.

Portability was great, for sure. But last summer I took my MPro along and it seemed fine. I have separate cases for the drone and controller and bits and pieces. The DJI cases are nice but not for traveling over seas, stuffing in a backpack. One country 'found ' my MAir and insisted that I put into check luggage ( I did of course). Was fine.

So I do hear the back and forth about which is better. I do like the MAir a lot. The portability cannot be beat. The Quick Modes are sweet, great camera. But for some serious photography I did miss the MPro. I think the MAir is great for hiking, mountain climbing (snow boarding :--) I was tempted to take both along (M Air and M Pro) but couldn't spare the space... I did miss my MPro though, have to say... I think M Air and M Pro 2 are a great , albiet expensive combo.

Sweeping declaration:

Next ma models will offer same connection type, longer flight time, quieter blades, have a zoom option.

Can I be youtube famous now? Lol
I'm dji's roadmap I'd assume the MP series to always be a step above MA..

Here's a side by side size comparison. The Pro 2 is a humongous beast compared to the air!

Definitely glad I purchased the Air, there's no way I'd make the investment in the Pro 2 without seeing how amazing the Air is. I'll definitely be keeping her around even with the pro.

20180827_104224-jpg.44379

Yeah the Pro is cool, but you just can't beat the size of the Air!

Yikes!
I hadn't realized there was such a size difference.

I have my MA for sale... but i the end... I don't need it to sell and if it doesn't then I'll continue to fly it. I will fly the MA indoors in tripod mode well before I fly the MP2. The MA just flys through a 32" door opening so much easier than the MP2.

They both have their uses. I still fly my P3P too. Just took this sexy photo of my trio:

09012018-166040-jpg.45190

Attachments

• 09012018.166040.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 105
Yikes!
I hadn't realized there was such a size difference.

Yup. People saying they are the same size and can be packed into the same bags must be smoking something. It's double the weight (plus larger/heavier accessories), almost 2.5X bigger when folded, and even more than that unfolded. Completely different set of advantages compared to the M2. They compliment each-other nicely IMO.

Reactions: c.m.s
Yup. People saying they are the same size and can be packed into the same bags must be smoking something. It's double the weight (plus larger/heavier accessories), almost 2.5X bigger when folded, and even more than that unfolded. Completely different set of advantages compared to the M2. They compliment each-other nicely IMO.
I carry them (spark, ma and MP) in the same Spark's case, and I don't smoke at all.

I carry them (spark, ma and MP) in the same Spark's case, and I don't smoke at all.

That does not mean much :) You will definitly not get either a Spark or a Mavic Pro into the Mavic Air case, thats for sure. If you go hiking, where space is precious and every gram counts that difference in size/weight is huge. I bought the Air because of that, it was not a price thing for me.

Reactions: CanadaDrone

We aren't really discussing the Spark, but the spark doesn't even fold, so it's not surprising you can fit other drones into the same case. The MA is smaller than the Spark when folded.

If you have a case sized such that it is near the minimum size that will take a folded Mavic Air, neither the spark nor the MP will fit in it. That is what we are saying. You need a case with ~2.4X the volume if you want to fit a MP in it too.

Reactions: mad monkey
I have a Mavic Pro and a Spark. Ideally, I would be upgrading them both (Mavic Pro to Mavic 2 Pro, and Spark to Mavic Air). However, with the Spark I have the mobile charging station which really solves all the battery issues and portability issues (as you can put the controller in it as well). I love that thing and don't have much love for the Air's 2-cases solution.... Well, looking into upgrading the Mav' first anyway, maybe they'll come up with a Spark 2 next year (and don't tell me that "Air is Spark 2" stuff ;-) )

We aren't really discussing the Spark, but the spark doesn't even fold, so it's not surprising you can fit other drones into the same case. The MA is smaller than the Spark when folded.

If you have a case sized such that it is near the minimum size that will take a folded Mavic Air, neither the spark nor the MP will fit in it. That is what we are saying. You need a case with ~2.4X the volume if you want to fit a MP in it too.
Of course we're not talking about Spark.

There's a travel bag in ma fly more combo. It's 240X165X95 mm. Its volume is 3,762,000 mm3.

The travel bag in MP fly more combo is 175X125X210 mm. Its volume is 4,593,750 mm3. As we can see, it's not double in size than ma's.

Travel bag in Spark fly more combo, is 250X105X180 mm. Its volume is 4,725,000 mm3. It fits MP also.

When traveling, I use Spark/pro bag, with any of my three drones. It's 25% bigger than ma's bag, fits all my birds (with FMC extras) and this makes FOR ME no much difference in portability.
It's obvious, that I don't need 240% bigger bag than my Air's bag.

If any of you is carrying his drones in pockets, in small bags without extra batteries and chargers, I understand, every mm is important for you.

If you're not talking about the Spark please leave it out of the conversation. Best way to make sure no one thinks you're talking spark is to stop listing it in yiur posts

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52