DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air versus Shiny New Pro2

thebigbaddan

Reactions
Here's a side by side size comparison. The Pro 2 is a humongous beast compared to the air!

Definitely glad I purchased the Air, there's no way I'd make the investment in the Pro 2 without seeing how amazing the Air is. I'll definitely be keeping her around even with the pro.

20180827_104224-jpg.44379

Yeah the Pro is cool, but you just can't beat the size of the Air!

I was looking at the original Mavic Pro and the Air side by side again yesterday and was again surprised by just how significant the size difference is (even folded). The Pro is WAY bigger, has about twice the dimensional 'volume', and the batteries are a lot larger as also shown above. I keep thinking I could get away with the Pro but the size difference isn't even close if you're trying to pack small & light, especially after accessories are considered.

The Air really is quite a marvel when you consider how much technology they have packed into something that much smaller than a Pro.

Reactions: c.m.s and HYRYSC
People tend to forget the massive size difference. Plus the air has more sensors than mp. And technically 2 less than mp2, but theirs only work in a couple auto. Modes

Here's a side by side size comparison. The Pro 2 is a humongous beast compared to the air!

Definitely glad I purchased the Air, there's no way I'd make the investment in the Pro 2 without seeing how amazing the Air is. I'll definitely be keeping her around even with the pro.

20180827_104224-jpg.44379

Yeah the Pro is cool, but you just can't beat the size of the Air!

One thing that strikes me as I look at that picture that I guess I never really noticed before is how much the MA front props actually sweep over the body of the drone. I love the size of it for certain, but it seems that a lot of efficiency is lost because of that. The 2 beside it doesn't have nearly the same issue.

Anyway, just an observation.

Reactions: Neckcrank
One thing that strikes me as I look at that picture that I guess I never really noticed before is how much the MA front props actually sweep over the body of the drone. I love the size of it for certain, but it seems that a lot of efficiency is lost because of that. The 2 beside it doesn't have nearly the same issue.

Anyway, just an observation.

I don't think it really matters that they are over the body a little bit, at least not to the point of any major detriment. The Air isn't even 500g which probably helps. Looking at other drones, like the Phantom which has been optimized over 5+ iterations, has far more overlap to the point where more rotor is over the body than not.

Not a direct comparison but looking at full-scale like a Chinook, there is also so much overlap with the body that the rotors have to be at different heights.

The reason they have to spin faster because they are physically smaller. A larger rotor with more surface area can spin slower (and quieter with a lower pitch) to generate the same amount of lift. In fact that's primarily how the low noise props work, they have more surface area and spin slower for the same lift with longer battery life.

The Mavic props are out on long arms but they are pretty large, I don't think there is more than a few inches between them when they spin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony56
IMHO, the Air is really not that much smaller then the MP... at least not so that it matters. Neither will fit well in a pocket. Both fit just fine in your hard and any case they are put into will be about the same size.

IMHO, the Air is really not that much smaller then the MP... at least not so that it matters. Neither will fit well in a pocket. Both fit just fine in your hard and any case they are put into will be about the same size.

Don't know if the Pro 2 is bigger-- but nope, I completely disagree. Air is super small... can be thrown in a backpack easily. Mp2 is a big *** tank of a drone. It's twice the size, twice the weight.

I also have to respectfully disagree. As someone who is trying to pack for a Europe trip and hikes a lot, I can tell you the size difference is extremely significant. It is the difference between fitting in any of my current bags/cases vs. not fitting at all. One of the biggest issues is the size difference in batteries if you want to bring extras with you. They most definitely will not fit into the same bags and cases, even if you ignore the accessories. The Air can quite easily fit in a larger jacket pocket or small compartment or water bottle mesh in a backpack, the Pro simply cannot. The drone itself is almost twice the weight, never mind the extra batteries.

They both technically can fit on your palm, but there is a pretty huge difference there. I can also fit a huge dinner plate or frizbee on my palm... The Air is barely bigger than an iPhone (other than thickness obviously) or a can of Coke when folded. The height of the Pro is also an issue, the weight and volume of the drone is double that of the Air. Some countries also only allow convenient usage of drones under 500g (which the Air is), and over 500g (Pro or larger) you have to jump through so many hoops it's not even worth bringing it.

These pictures show it pretty well - the top view size difference is rather obvious, the Pro is about twice the size

Mavic-Air-and-Mavic-Pro-and-Spark-folded-768x435.png

What is less talked about though is the height/volume and is a big reason why the Air is so easy to pack. The Pro is twice as tall/thick with a much less rounded shape when folded, which makes it not nearly as packable. I actually wish the Mavic 2 Pro was just a big version of the Air, I personally think it is a much cleaner design.

Mavic-Air-vs-Spark-vs-Mavic-Pro-folded-768x435.png

The icing on the cake is the significantly better video quality with the Air vs the original Pro, and better obstacle sensors. As long as you didn't need to fly beyond 4KM, there wasn't much else to be desired. The new Pro 2 changes that of course as I think a 1" sensor is a game changer on a foldable drone, but it is still a lot larger than the Air.

Reactions: dewr83 and Elhefe4

Kidding? It fits in my cargo pockets easily and comfortably. I sometimes go flying and just put everything in my pockets.

Small drones are not better than bigger ones by default.

Mavic2 is better than ma, in every field.

Portability is an advantage, but it's not the same for everyone. For example, I usually take with me my spark, or my ma, or my MP, in the same small DJI bag.

Mavics are smaller than inspires, but not better.

Of course time will show how good are new Mavics, but I'm sure that they are the best portable drones ever.

Small drones are not better than bigger ones by default.

Mavic2 is better than ma, in every field.

Portability is an advantage, but it's not the same for everyone. For example, I usually take with me my spark, or my ma, or my MP, in the same small DJI bag.

Mavics are smaller than inspires, but not better.

Of course time will show how good are new Mavics, but I'm sure that they are the best portable drones ever.

Let's say I had an Inspire (I don't because I already sunk enough into this hobby, but even I can't justify that outlay of cash) and an Air (which I do have). I'm going on a plane somewhere and want to get some photos/videos. The Air beats the Inspire here hands down. The difference between the M2 and the air is smaller, but the Air is still better than the M2 for size. You could say then just get a spark, but the trade-offs between the Air and the M2 are much smaller compared to the spark vs the M2.

To me this is a relatively cheap hobby and a lot of bang for your buck.

Try flying RC jets - the turbines alone cost more than a whole drone. My last jet (Eurofighter with 35lb thrust turbine) which I built in 2008 cost over US$ 10k.

Let's say I had an Inspire (I don't because I already sunk enough into this hobby, but even I can't justify that outlay of cash) and an Air (which I do have). I'm going on a plane somewhere and want to get some photos/videos. The Air beats the Inspire here hands down. The difference between the M2 and the air is smaller, but the Air is still better than the M2 for size. You could say then just get a spark, but the trade-offs between the Air and the M2 are much smaller compared to the spark vs the M2.
Ma and M2, are both small size, so M2 wins, in case of portability with best characteristics.

The only situation in which air is better, is when for a few cm, cannot carry a M2. But in this situation, maybe spark is best of all.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datkin