DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2S and Litchi POI Orbit sideways jerky

Here is what it looks like in google earth. Your final video should be close. Stabilized it in Da Vinci Resolve will also improve it.
Good luck

Here is what it looks like in google earth. Your final video should be close. Stabilized it in Da Vinci Resolve will also improve it.
Good luck

fab thanks a million for this. I'll import and try over the weekend and let you know. Really appreciate the effort you've made. thanks Ro

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
fab thanks a million for this. I'll import and try over the weekend and let you know. Really appreciate the effort you've made. thanks Ro
Not a problem. Just sitting here waiting for the next snow storm to hit tonight LOL
Sunny day right now but things are abou to change tonight. 🍺

OK it now has 90 waypoints all focused on the POI which is the house. All waypoints are 98 feet. You can change the radius of the orbit in Litchi hub to what ever you want. Hope this helps.
Same thing change the txt back to CVS
View attachment 144851
If you can that mission in the Mission Hub public would be great as others could use it for their own uses.!

If you can that mission in the Mission Hub public would be great as others could use it for their own uses.!
Well lets wait and see if it actually helped out the OP in his quest. LOL
Might have caused more problems so no sense in making it a standard to follow. 🙃

Strange, but for me using Waypoints is more jerky than Orbit function in litchi

Strange, but for me using Waypoints is more jerky than Orbit function in litchi
This might be true but using the Orbit function for the this he cannot save it to fly over and over again in the same spot which is what he wants to do to document the difference in the construction on the property.

This might be true but using the Orbit function for the this he cannot save it to fly over and over again in the same spot which is what he wants to do to document the difference in the construction on the property.
You can actually save orbits!
The only downside is that the saved orbits are not cross-device compatible, they don't save on the litchi account cloud storage, instead in the device itself. Missions save on cloud storage and can be opened from any device assuming you are logged into your account.
Check this screenshot below, I highlighted the buttons on the left which do load and save orbit:

1646485406726.png

Of course, you can also use other methods such as generate poi in mission planner and convert to litchi.

Using my Air 2S I wanted to see if I could produce a acceptable orbit in Litchi after reading your post. So what I did was use a program called Mission Planner. It allows the user to create a perfect circle of waypoints. Litchi only accepts up to 100 so I just used a 80 waypoint circle.
That's actually a great alternative to Litchi Orbit. In the video it looks that the orbit is pretty smooth, and it also can be saved as waypoints.

The funny thing about it is that the script was never tested with anything other than Mission Planner Survey missions, and it's surprising to me that it actually works with other types of Auto WP configurations like Circle (POI) and maybe others too. During development, I never tested the script with anything else than Survey Missions, because I was designing it for that. Good to know that it is also working with other mission planner functions too! :D

A member from the Parrot forum made up a site to make all kinds of missions for the parrot drones so I was thinking about some of the missions I made with his web App. Never think inside the box, there is always room to improve something I say. LOL

Reactions: TasosD
Now once opened up in litchi I added a point of interest where I figured the construction was taking place. I did have to go through each waypoint a tell it to point to the point of interest I placed. Might seem like a lot of work but it only took about 5 minutes. Here is what it looks like in Litchi Hub with the POI.
View attachment 144845
If I may make a couple of observations...

1) In Litchi, you may select multiple (all) waypoints by first selecting one, then Control-Selecting the second. Litchi will then provide the option of selecting all waypoints. This way, you can easily assign a POI to all waypoints no matter how many there are.

2) Using this many waypoints to generate a circular missions is overkill. Instead, use far fewer waypoints with curved turns. Litchi uses a spline to create the curve at a waypoint. For a perfect circle, the curve size should be set to 1/2 the distance between the waypoints.

3) A handy utility to create missions like this is Spiral Mission Maker for Litchi. It provides all the controls you need for spiral missions.

2) Using this many waypoints to generate a circular missions is overkill. Instead, use far fewer waypoints with curved turns. Litchi uses a spline to create the curve at a waypoint. For a perfect circle, the curve size should be set to 1/2 the distance between the waypoints.
Sorry but I do have to disagree with you here. I have found any DJI drone that uses virtual sticks needs as many waypoints in a tight circle to make it a smooth flight. The large number of waypoints might seem like over kill but it provided a very smooth flight IMO.

Was checking out the Mission Utilities for Litchi that you linked to. Seems a lot more work to get to the same place. Mission planner in my opinion is a much faster way of getting the desired effect at least for a circle waypoint mission.

Now the droneception one I will have to spend more time on but looks very interesting.

Sorry but I do have to disagree with you here. I have found any DJI drone that uses virtual sticks needs as many waypoints in a tight circle to make it a smooth flight. The large number of waypoints might seem like over kill but it provided a very smooth flight IMO.

Was checking out the Mission Utilities for Litchi that you linked to. Seems a lot more work to get to the same place. Mission planner in my opinion is a much faster way of getting the desired effect at least for a circle waypoint mission.

Now the droneception one I will have to spend more time on but looks very interesting.
All of my drones have on-board waypoints. I cannot comment on the virtual sticks implementation. Fewer waypoint with the curve size set to half the distance between waypoints does result in a perfect circle though.

If you are comfortable using Google Earth Pro and Virtual Litchi mission the Spiral Mission Maker for Litchi is quite easy to use. This utility has been available for a couple years now and has many users. If you are not familiar with Google Earth Pro it might first appear to be complicated (more work, as you say). However, a couple tries will show that the process is quite simple.

All of my drones have on-board waypoints. I cannot comment on the virtual sticks implementation. Fewer waypoint with the curve size set to half the distance between waypoints does result in a perfect circle though.

If you are comfortable using Google Earth Pro and Virtual Litchi mission the Spiral Mission Maker for Litchi is quite easy to use. This utility has been available for a couple years now and has many users. If you are not familiar with Google Earth Pro it might first appear to be complicated (more work, as you say). However, a couple tries will show that the process is quite simple.
Yes very comfortable with Google Earth and Virtual Litchi mission. Not my first rodeo as they say LOL
Since you do not use any drones that rely on virtual sticks for its commands you will not understand the difference. Do appreciate your comments and the link to the web page. Learning new stuff is always welcomed but for now I find my way much easier.

Oh also thanks for reminding me about how to select all waypoints. Forgot about that option.
"1) In Litchi, you may select multiple (all) waypoints by first selecting one, then Control-Selecting the second. Litchi will then provide the option of selecting all waypoints. This way, you can easily assign a POI to all waypoints no matter how many there are."

Yes very comfortable with Google Earth and Virtual Litchi mission. Not my first rodeo as they say LOL
Since you do not use any drones that rely on virtual sticks for its commands you will not understand the difference. Do appreciate your comments and the link to the web page. Learning new stuff is always welcomed but for now I find my way much easier.
Instead of loading mission parameters (but not the gimbal pitch nor waypoint-defined speeds) to the drone's on-board memory, drones without on-board waypoint capability rely on the mobile device running Litchi to constantly transmit the flight telemetry to the drone as the mission is being flown.

There are different implementations of virtual sticks with some (Maven) reportedly resulting in smoother flights. The smoothness may also be affected by the processing capabilities of the mobile device.

Instead of loading mission parameters (but not the gimbal pitch nor waypoint-defined speeds) to the drone's on-board memory, drones without on-board waypoint capability rely on the mobile device running Litchi to constantly transmit the flight telemetry to the drone as the mission is being flown.

There are different implementations of virtual sticks with some (Maven) reportedly resulting in smoother flights. The smoothness may also be affected by the processing capabilities of the mobile device.
Yes I am aware of this. The problem with Maven it is only iOS and I will never own another iOS device in my life.

Hi Guys,

I'm using the Air2S and have started experimenting with Litchi (had typically used DJI Go App)

I know the Litchi support for Air2S has only in recent months been released (and it possible still is in beta) ?

When I started the Litchi app I got a popup warning was along the lines of there is a known gimbal issue which will be addressed - so this may well be my issue

AfterI do my POI/orbit, when I look at the recorded video (from the SD card, it's an sd extreme one) the POI isn't too smooth (i.e. like it would be super smooth doing the same in DJI Go) and is a little sideways jerky - is this the same "gimbal" issue that's referenced when I start the app ?

Also does anyone know when we might expect the issue to be fixed?

Any thoughts/guidance would be great!

Thanks Ro
Look here gimbal issue with my Air 2 !!! Also Litchi with waypoints and poi that crane !!! Work beautiful until POI arrived and again beautiful after POI.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore