DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2S Controller Mode Switch Issue

subliminal00

Reactions
Ive only flown my air2s a few times and just noticed that the switch to change between normal/sport/cine doesnt work right. If I put the switch in the middle position it registers it as cine, I can get it to go into normal if I move the switch slowly from sport towards the middle but without it actually clicking in to the middle section, kinda like in between sport and normal. Before I send this off to DJI for warranty repair just wanted to ask if this was a common issue and if so is there an easy fix I can do myself?

Just checking , can you confirm that this is after you have been flying in some mode other than N mode?
At each drone or controller boot ( I can't remember which ) the controller defaults to N mode irrespective of the actual position of the switch.
If the switch was in the S or C position to subsequently use the S or C mode the switch must first be set-to / returned-to the N position and then moved to the desired position.

I concur, the controller defaults to N mode no matter what mode it is set to. I flew my Air 2s for many flights until I realized it was flying way too fast in C mode. There was another thread that mentioned this and since then, I typically return the Mode to N mode as a matter of process when I am shutting down. Then at least the controller matches what is actually happening the next time I startup.

Ive only flown my air2s a few times and just noticed that the switch to change between normal/sport/cine doesnt work right. If I put the switch in the middle position it registers it as cine, I can get it to go into normal if I move the switch slowly from sport towards the middle but without it actually clicking in to the middle section, kinda like in between sport and normal. Before I send this off to DJI for warranty repair just wanted to ask if this was a common issue and if so is there an easy fix I can do myself?
Sounds like a hardware issue rather than DJI's safety policy to always default the mode to N regardless of the switch position at each boot. Send it to them.

Reactions: Yaros
I experience the same behavior with the new RC Controller as I did with the RC-N1. I believe it is a software issue, which would only be fixed through an update.

I experience the same behavior with the new RC Controller as I did with the RC-N1. I believe it is a software issue, which would only be fixed through an update.
You can't say it is a software issue in 100% of the cases though. It really depends.
The fact that the drone starts in Normal mode no matter the position of the switch isn't an issue by itself, it's actually intended behavior by DJI, the issue is happening here is that as I understand, the actual mode doesn't match the one selected on the remote, no matter in which state, this is not normal and likely a hardware issue.

the actual mode doesn't match the one selected on the remote, no matter in which state, this is not normal and likely a hardware issue.
Consider this: Communications between the controller and drone in selecting the flight mode is transmitted in a software communication. If the drone does not fly in the mode selected on the controller, then the software has not instructed the drone to follow the selected mode.

On power up if the mode switch is set to Sport mode but the drone flies in Normal mode, then the controller software is instructing the drone to fly in Normal mode ignoring the actual mode selected.

If, after taking off, the mode selection is changed at all and the drone also changes flight speed, then that proves the hardware works as it should and the software is giving proper instructions to the drone.

I still think the issue has been designed this way by DJI since it is the same for both controllers (for whatever illogical reason) but could be changed through a software update.

I’m now wondering if it isn’t the controllers but the Air 2s since the issue exists with two different controllers.

Great discussion! I just decided to contact DJI to question them about it.

If, after taking off, the mode selection is changed at all and the drone also changes flight speed, then that proves the hardware works as it should and the software is giving proper instructions to the drone.
This is well known, you're right, that might be the case, but from what I'm understanding, OP is having an unrelated issue to this, which no matter if switching or not switching the mode after takeoff, it still doesn't match the selected mode.

Reactions: mobilehomer
This is well known, you're right, that might be the case, but from what I'm understanding, OP is having an unrelated issue to this, which no matter if switching or not switching the mode after takeoff, it still doesn't match the selected mode.
I think you and I are the only one who actually read the OP. It is a PHYSICAL problem with the switch, people!!

Reactions: Wav2000 and Yaros
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000