DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2S in Spring 2022

nick779

Reactions
Hi all,

I'm looking to take a step up from my Mini 2 and get a drone with some better features and the ability to cover more ground per charge.

Compared to the Mini 2 I want:
  • A generally faster drone in Normal mode with minimal pitching (so the camera isn't forced down)
  • Hyperlapse
  • Waypoint
  • Solid Activetracking
  • Possibly better range
  • OEM ND filter support
  • Longer distance covering ground at a cruising speed

In your general opinion, do you think the Air 2S worth picking up at this time with the above requirements in mind given that it's a year old now?

Hi all,

I'm looking to take a step up from my Mini 2 and get a drone with some better features and the ability to cover more ground per charge.

Compared to the Mini 2 I want:
  • A generally faster drone in Normal mode with minimal pitching (so the camera isn't forced down)
  • Hyperlapse
  • Waypoint
  • Solid Activetracking
  • Possibly better range
  • OEM ND filter support
  • Longer distance covering ground at a cruising speed

In your general opinion, do you think the Air 2S worth picking up at this time with the above requirements in mind given that it's a year old now?
I have Mini 2 and got the A2S as a retirement a couple of months ago. The A2S has all of what I need and all of what you describe with the exception of waypoint programming other than with hyperlapse feature. Now that the Mini 3 is out, or almost out, you might want to look into that one. I have seen some initial review videos and looks like that could be basically an A2S in a super small, compact package. Looks like it has almost all of the features the A2S has but don't need to register and is probably gonna have some firmware updates to add functions. Mini 3 has better camera specs than either the Mini 2 or the A2S. All a personal choice and how much you're willing to shell out.

I recently purchased an A2S to supplement my Mini 2. The Mini 3 Pro does look quite nice, but I'm in the software biz and shy away from version 1.0. I'm going to let the dust settle a bit and let others work out the kinks.

I love both of the drones but later in the year I might look at replacing the Mini 2, not the A2S, with the M3. None of DJI's consumer drones have on-aircraft waypoints.

Reactions: jeffy351
I recently purchased an A2S to supplement my Mini 2. The Mini 3 Pro does look quite nice, but I'm in the software biz and shy away from version 1.0. I'm going to let the dust settle a bit and let others work out the kinks.

I love both of the drones but later in the year I might look at replacing the Mini 2, not the A2S, with the M3. None of DJI's consumer drones have on-aircraft waypoints.
True, I was thinking of the hyperlapse waypoints. On-Aircraft waypoints I don't see coming back considering current regulations.

Reactions: ThatBeardedDroneGuy
True, I was thinking of the hyperlapse waypoints. On-Aircraft waypoints I don't see coming back considering current regulations.
The Yuneec drone I had for a couple of years had the waypoint feature on it. You would have to fly the route you wanted and set the waypoints, but, you could save the route and fly it over and over. I wish DJI had a feature like this. Or, better yet, be able to set waypoints BEFORE you fly.

The Yuneec drone I had for a couple of years had the waypoint feature on it. You would have to fly the route you wanted and set the waypoints, but, you could save the route and fly it over and over. I wish DJI had a feature like this. Or, better yet, be able to set waypoints BEFORE you fly.
I think DJI had them for a bit before the FAA cracked down on rules.

I'd love an oem software solution that would let us plot a hyperlapse or POI on the pc that would sync with our DJI account and then show up In the apps map or be a predefined route that we created.

I think Litchi let's you do something like this, but I have never used those programs before.

Reactions: Dave Maine
"On-Aircraft waypoints I don't see coming back considering current regulations."

Can you point to that regulation? Ive asked this question before and been met with crickets. Also, in what country? The regulations differ all over the world.

"On-Aircraft waypoints I don't see coming back considering current regulations."

Can you point to that regulation? Ive asked this question before and been met with crickets. Also, in what country? The regulations differ all over the world.
USA. On-Aircraft POI would permit loss of RC connectivity indicating probable loss of LOS. It's probably just not worth the legal headache for DJI to put it back in.

Insane. That one might utilise on-board waypoints while operating within the law is not an option, DJI? This is akin to banning cars as they may be involved in illegal activity. Its a major drawback with the latest DJI drones and Im considering ditching the Air2s for an alternative that allows such a basic and essential function.

USA. On-Aircraft POI would permit loss of RC connectivity indicating probable loss of LOS. It's probably just not worth the legal headache for DJI to put it back in.
How would that make the a/c loose RC connectivity? The other drone that I had, had the waypoint feature and I still had full control of the a/c during a route. It was hugely helpful in letting the a/c fly the route while you could control the camera. The Yuneec had a 360 gimble on it, which was kind of awesome because you could fly a straight line and just move the camera for different aspects. I didn't know there were any regulations that were banning that type of feature. Where is that in the regs?

I've had the Mini 2 for a couple years, and I just got an Air 2S a couple days ago. It's quite a bit different to me, aside from seeming much more responsive.

But the biggest reason I went with the Air 2S was for the 1" sensor and 10-bit color in shooting either HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) or DLOG, to me that's a huge jump up from the video quality I get from my Mini 2 (Even with using the Litchi app to tweak the image settings, it's still an 8-bit color profile off of a 1/2.3" sensor). It basically puts my flying camera closer to what I shoot with my Panasonic GH5 in 10-bit HLG (150Mbps Long-GOP H264), especially with the Leeming conversion LUT for both to help normalize them close to each other.

Regarding the ND filter, one of my complaints on the mini 2 is how you kind of have to snap on ND filters and I always worry that I'm somehow going to damage the gimble, just like a couple weeks ago kept getting gimble stuck error after putting on an ND filter (same set I had for a couple years), but it was also a week after I few at a very very windy and sandy beach with it.

On the Air 2S I had assumed they were magnetic, as I didn't actually bother to actually look at videos showing them attached. Rather you have to push in the frame and twist counter clockwise to release it, and then do the same in reverse with the ND filter (push it onto the front of the lens, and turn clockwise to lock it into place). That's still a bit nerve wracking to me, but seems to work better.

Two big thing I noticed being different in both fly more combos is these:

1) With the Mini 2, I could run out to the car, unbox the new drone, and hook up the battery charge to any number of my USB-C charging options. With the Air 2S what comes with the drone is strictly AC outlet charging (though I assume you can probably charge a single battery inside of the drone via it's USB-C port) Ended up buying a small power inverter to mitigate that since I tend to charge between locations.

2) The Mini 2 fly more combo came with a wrap to secure the props in the bag, the Air 2S doesn't, it was weird to me having loose props having to carefully lower the drone into the bag without the props catching the side, and likewise when taking it out. (Apparently MissCrissyCo on Etsy sell prop holders that don't put any pressure on the props).

The normal mode speed is definitely faster feeling and my control over it is very responsive, I haven't tried the features like hyperlapse as I mainly fly manually and collect stuff into the computer afterwards.

However post #2 saying the Mini 3 had better camera specs, I can't agree. The Mini 3 is strictly 8-bit color mode using a Cinelike-D color profile on a smaller 1/1.3" (0.7") sensor, versus the Air 2S with a 1" sensor , recording 10-bit (16 million versus 4 billion colors) in either HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) or DLOG color profile. Both the Mini 3 and Air 2S do 150Mbps. Both of course are better than the Mini 2 at an even smaller 1/2.3" (0.4") sensor, 8-bit color with only a normal color profile. You might get a little bit lower light capability with the Mini 3 at f/1.7 but given the sensor size noise-wise you probably still end up about the same if not a little worse than the 1" sensor at f/2.8 (they're roughly 1.6 stops apart in EV).

Now the Mavic 3 with it's 4/3rd sensor... that's something else, but I couldn't justify spending over twice the price for it, especially with the small 1/2.3" sensor zoom lens on top that I would probably never use.

TLDR Version : Upgraded from a Mini 2 to the Air 2S and so far I'm very impressed with the jump, not just in handling but also image/video quality for the kind of stuff I do.

How would that make the a/c loose RC connectivity? The other drone that I had, had the waypoint feature and I still had full control of the a/c during a route. It was hugely helpful in letting the a/c fly the route while you could control the camera. The Yuneec had a 360 gimble on it, which was kind of awesome because you could fly a straight line and just move the camera for different aspects. I didn't know there were any regulations that were banning that type of feature. Where is that in the regs?
I'm thinking because maybe someone would program a waypoint that takes it well out of VLOS or in a range quite far from the RC if it were possible to program the points without flying there manually first to set it (kind of like you'd do with the Skydio 2).

I've had the Mini 2 for a couple years, and I just got an Air 2S a couple days ago. It's quite a bit different to me, aside from seeming much more responsive.
I really appreciate the comments! I plan on digging into DLOG and the other 10 bit video types and how to apply a LUT. Video editing is not my forte, but its something I always wanted to get better at.

It gives the user the ability to program a waypoint that is not in direct LOS violating formal FAA rules. I would love to have it, but DJI has no way of making sure the controller is always in range. That's why all SDKs and waypoint modes use twin stick control modes and the controller.

I really appreciate the comments! I plan on digging into DLOG and the other 10 bit video types and how to apply a LUT. Video editing is not my forte, but its something I always wanted to get better at.
The lut files imo are more useful for say the HLG footage where there isn't already a ton of videos about how to normalize the footage to an SDR space (HLG was not intended originally to be an editing profile like dlog or vlog but rather a format that could show correctly sdr or hdr depending on the device it was played backed on).

For dlog much like the flat vlog on other cameras there's more guides about how to manually grade it down to a normal looking video. But with much more control of how you show off the extra details (such as having visible details in the shadow instead of being lost as black patches if recorded as normal).

I use Davinci Resolve for my editing which is free unless you want the features of the studio version. The node tree style of editing the colors makes it pretty nice compared to just dropping a lut on it (ie like putting an automatic filter on it ).

Reactions: nick779
@karlblessing it seems we have some similar thoughts.

There are couple of nice looking car chargers for the Air 2S. For my upcoming trip, I'm not sure if I'll have access to an outlet, though, so I picked up a single charger that'll run off my battery pack.

Single
Two Battery
Four Battery

Probably want to make sure whatever you get handles both 13.2 and 12.6 voltages.

I also picked up a prop holder from Etsy (though not Miss Chrissy). I feel much better putting the drone in my backpack now.

I also love the image quality I'm getting with the bigger sensor and like shooting with the D-Log profile and grading in Resolve.

@ThatBeardedDroneGuy

I mainly kind of went the "I know it'll convert correctly" route of getting a little $30 inverter from the local lowes (was kind of in a hurry to charge up, and didn't want to order an official $50 DJI car adapter that was out of stock everywhere). The inverter is rated for 120W (12A fuse) which is way more than I need since the charger only requires about 1.3Amp, but the inverter also had two USB outlets too, and with just charging the Air2S batteries it didn't get hardly hot at all compared to hooking up something a little more substantial like a laptop.

@ThatBeardedDroneGuy

I mainly kind of went the "I know it'll convert correctly" route of getting a little $30 inverter from the local lowes (was kind of in a hurry to charge up, and didn't want to order an official $50 DJI car adapter that was out of stock everywhere). The inverter is rated for 120W (12A fuse) which is way more than I need since the charger only requires about 1.3Amp, but the inverter also had two USB outlets too, and with just charging the Air2S batteries it didn't get hardly hot at all compared to hooking up something a little more substantial like a laptop.
I recently bought this one. I haven't tried it in the car yet, but, I figured if you're in the field and need the batteries charged quickly, this would be the one to do it for the next set of flights.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08J7M1MPL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

@karlblessing I hear ya. I have an inverter also. I'm thinking along the lines of "I don't want to move chargers between locations". I'm the type to forget it here or there. I'd get on location and realize I had the inverter but the charger is plugged in at home.

@BrianA That's one of the chargers I linked to. It looks very nice.

I'm still on the fence. if I didn't need to worry about Remote ID I would already have the Air 2S.

Pilot location being available to anyone with a cellphone just makes me uneasy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Duhr