DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2S - Smart Controller or Regular w Ipad Mini?

NaweG

Reactions
Recently got my Part 107, and about to pull the trigger on an Air 2s. Saw a combo available with the Smart Controller, but I've seen several articles/videos that suggest that I might be better off with the default controller and the latest version of the Ipad Mini. Thoughts?

There are a LOT of discussions about the benefits/negatives of the SC w/ the 2S. One of the major ones is that the range using the SC is noticeably shorter, albeit the single unit screen controller combo is great for quick deployment and screen brightness. Some people on the other hand love having the ipad mini's larger screen, although dimmer.

I guess it all boils down to your needs. Where are you located? What type of work are you planning on doing? Etc.

For us, we opted NOT to get a Smart Controller and instead use a Samsung S20+ w/the controller. Reason being, we are in Central Florida and fly a lot on the coasts, in the extremely bright and hot sunlight. The S20+ has 1200 nits and works fine for us. Why don't we use one of our 4 iPad pros or 3 iPhones? Because here in FL they overheat like CRAZY and screen-off, unlike the Samsungs which let you dim the screen before catastrophic screen failure. 2) We NEVER fly out of VLOS, however, since we do fly inner-city, we depend on that solid occusync signal that is not degraded. since we use the standard 2S remote.

Again, it all hinges on what you are aiming to do...

Reactions: NaweG
There are a LOT of discussions about the benefits/negatives of the SC w/ the 2S. One of the major ones is that the range using the SC is noticeably shorter, albeit the single unit screen controller combo is great for quick deployment and screen brightness. Some people on the other hand love having the ipad mini's larger screen, although dimmer.

I guess it all boils down to your needs. Where are you located? What type of work are you planning on doing? Etc.

For us, we opted NOT to get a Smart Controller and instead use a Samsung S20+ w/the controller. Reason being, we are in Central Florida and fly a lot on the coasts, in the extremely bright and hot sunlight. The S20+ has 1200 nits and works fine for us. Why don't we use one of our 4 iPad pros or 3 iPhones? Because here in FL they overheat like CRAZY and screen-off, unlike the Samsungs which let you dim the screen before catastrophic screen failure. 2) We NEVER fly out of VLOS, however, since we do fly inner-city, we depend on that solid occusync signal that is not degraded. since we use the standard 2S remote.

Again, it all hinges on what you are aiming to do...
Appreciate the input. Sounds like I may want to consider using the iPad Mini for now, and then go to my S21+ if I replace it next year and just not trade it in this time.

I bought a combo with the smart controller and ended up selling the smart controller and buying a new mini ipad 5 and buying a regular controller on ebay for 65.00 dollars. I can see the mini ipad better then the smart controller due to a larger screen size. I really happy and satisfied with this setup. I think you'll enjoy the mini much better and not to mention you can use it for many other applications.

Reactions: NaweG
Love, love, love having a smart controller! Finding more cool advantages and features all the time. I use it for both my pro and air. Only wish I could use it for my mini as well. As a real estate and marine photographer it is a great piece of equipment to add to the tool box!

I bought a combo with the smart controller and ended up selling the smart controller and buying a new mini ipad 5 and buying a regular controller on ebay for 65.00 dollars. I can see the mini ipad better then the smart controller due to a larger screen size. I really happy and satisfied with this setup. I think you'll enjoy the mini much better and not to mention you can use it for many other applications.
Can second that. I'm in the process of putting my SC on ebay having just bought a regular controller to replace it. I also bought a air2s combo with the SC. Previously I had a MA2 and used it with a regular controller. Now with the SC and the Air2s my range is horrendous and the experience just isn't the same.

JMI.. I ordered the 2s with SC last week.. I found it not worth the money! The map is terrible. Even when on WI FI from my phone. Hard to pinch and zoom and find the home point .. Lost video connection 2 times in one day, had to hit RTH .. I wound up returning it.. Just ordered a 2s from Ebay NEW not activated for $700 ans will use all my equipment from my Air 2 .. DJI doesnt have the SC in stock anymore.. Im sure there will be a SC 2 coming out in the future.. Ill wait for that.. If it comes .. Just picked up a Samsung Galaxy NEW on ebay to use with my Air 2 and Air 2 s .. Screen is over 887 Nits and I got the Active so it has a bigger battery ! bye Bye SC ... package was $1918 from DJI .. JMI not worth , Even my wife said it was terrible.. Lag lag , Loosing Video Connection and MAPS horrible..

JMI.. I ordered the 2s with SC last week.. I found it not worth the money! The map is terrible. Even when on WI FI from my phone. Hard to pinch and zoom and find the home point .. Lost video connection 2 times in one day, had to hit RTH .. I wound up returning it.. Just ordered a 2s from Ebay NEW not activated for $700 ans will use all my equipment from my Air 2 .. DJI doesnt have the SC in stock anymore.. Im sure there will be a SC 2 coming out in the future.. Ill wait for that.. If it comes .. Just picked up a Samsung Galaxy NEW on ebay to use with my Air 2 and Air 2 s .. Screen is over 887 Nits and I got the Active so it has a bigger battery ! bye Bye SC ... package was $1918 from DJI .. JMI not worth , Even my wife said it was terrible.. Lag lag , Loosing Video Connection and MAPS horrible..
All of the places with out of stock Smart Controllers. I wondered if it was chip availability caught up to them or they are selling stock to make room for a new model.

That was wishful thinking.. LOL .. Im sure they will update the SM , It seems very dated.. And NO stock at most places and DJI has no stock NEW or Refurbished

I have the Smart Controller that works with my new Air 2S and my Mini 2. I love the screen brightness. It does get intermittently laggy (even with no screen recording) but not to a great degree and the final video is never lagging from the SD Card. The one this no one is talking about here is that the Smart Controller has HDMI out and can be used with HDMI capable goggles for an immersive experience. Yes, it has to have a cable but it's no biggie. It IS shameful for DJI to sell such an expensive accessory that has such problems but many who fly the Air 2S have said that they do NOT have any video lag problems also...seems in my travels to be about 50/50 and that's way too much. Before the Smart Controller I used my iPad Mini 4 with my Mini 2 and it's great as long as you are standing in the shade but that never happens to me when I'm out flying and the screen is just not bright enough at all in the HOT Texas sun. I'm imploring DJI to update the firmware to fix the lagging problem, even if the transmission rate drops to 720p so the old hardware can handle it. OR...have the standard controller have HDMI out for other video options???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer