DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2S vs M3 night photos

I don't see the practicality in having only one battery which is why I'd have purchased the fly-more-combo.
If you didn't buy a Fly More, you could still probably get more batteries and spend less than a Fly More Kit.. it all depends on whether the rest of the items in a Fly More are really needed over the base kit and buying an extra battery or two...

I am not sure that sample image is zoomed, it maybe, however I think all that does is exaggerate to some degree the "obvious" differences that would still be clearly noticeable.

There are other issues that have been touched on here, every YouTuber post processes/edits their video, after watching several Mavic 3 videos, there is a clear difference in quality from one channel to another with supposedly Mavic 3 video output and while some mention its 5.1K, that still gets down-rezzed to 4K in their processing, and then YT mangles it the rest of the way...

Now if someone could post native images and video that you could download and view, based on the possibly limitations of your gear, you could get a better idea of the overall difference in quality from an Air2S and the Mavic 3.

The sample images in comparison chart are displayed in 100%.

Reactions: Droniac and Macinfo
If you didn't buy a Fly More, you could still probably get more batteries and spend less than a Fly More Kit.. it all depends on whether the rest of the items in a Fly More are really needed over the base kit and buying an extra battery or two...

That's exactly what I did.

Some of the items in Fly More Kit are way overpriced, also doesn't suit my need.

- Instead of spending $319 on DJI carrying bag, I use a Peak Design Everyday backpack ($259), which is more functional for my shooting style.

- instead of spending $179 on DJI ND Filter set, I would purchase ND-PL set from PGYTech, which cost only $89.

I also do not recommend buying the 65W USB Car charger from DJI ($79). You can find 65W USB car chargers on Amazon for 1/3 of the price, which provides the same function. Or even better, buy a 95W/105W car charger with three USB port, so you can charge battery/remote controller/cell phone at the same time.

Last edited:
I don't see the practicality in having only one battery which is why I'd have purchased the fly-more-combo.

But that comment only muddies the water and does nothing to reinforce your claims re: improvements . . . .

Reactions: Droniac
But that comment only muddies the water and does nothing to reinforce your claims re: improvements . . . .
True, however, it wasn't realy meant to do that, I'd just like to know why the person didn't buy the fly-more-combo. I figure you never know what you never know until you know it.

That's exactly what I did.

Some of the items in Fly More Kit are way overpriced, also doesn't suit my need.

- Instead of spending $319 on DJI carrying bag, I uses a Peak Design Everyday backpack ($259), which is more functional for my shooting style.

- instead of spending $179 on DJI ND Filter set, I would purchase ND-PL set from PGYTech, which cost only $89.

I also do not recommend buying the 65W USB Car charger from DJI ($79). You can find 65W USB car chargers on Amazon for 1/3 of the price, which provides the same function. Or even better, buy a 95W/105W car charger with three USB port, so you can charge battery/remote controller/cell phone at the same time.
Exactly my thought process as well. Idk why anyone would need the $319 DJI bag 🤷‍♂️
Definitely considering the PGYTech or PolarPro ND filters

Exactly my thought process as well. Idk why anyone would need the $319 DJI bag 🤷‍♂️
Definitely considering the PGYTech or PolarPro ND filters
PGYTech and PolarPro already have Mavic 3 filters?!🤯

True, however, it wasn't realy meant to do that, I'd just like to know why the person didn't buy the fly-more-combo. I figure you never know what you never know until you know it.
Everyone has their own thought process on this purchase, I think if you read the other replies on this issue, the Fly More kit is irrelevant, if you want to save money, you can get the base kit extras batteries, and other accessories 3rd party and probably save at least $4-500 or so.. then its the question is, do you want to do one stop shopping and spend more?

Reactions: Droniac and BigAl07
I guess they had to start making it after getting the drone delivered 🤷‍♂️
Oh, I thought they'd have some type of agreement with DJI like how the YouTubers do.

For the money, The Mavic Air 2S is the best drone for the value.

Oh, I thought they'd have some type of agreement with DJI like how the YouTubers do.

DJI might not be so gracious in this case because DJI also sells their own filters. If third party filters aren't available on launch day, DJI gets 100% of the filter business until that changes. This allows them to capture a nice chunk of that market before it becomes a free-for-all. They also use included filters as part of the value proposition for their bundles. Lens filters are incredibly high margin products so they probably want as much of that as they can get. I obviously don't know for sure what their plan is, but it seems that is what they did in this case.

Often times accessory manufacturers do get pre-release info, not necessarily in terms of the physical product, but things like detailed CAD drawings so they can have accessories ready on or close to launch day. Smartphone cases often work like this, just as one example.

Low light and long exposures will be much of what I will be focusing my review on. This is what the M2P is very good at, and I'm expecting even more success with the M3.

I'm back from vacation tomorrow, and will have my review done over the weekend.

I'll post it here as well.

I purchased M2P in 2018 for $1499. I just spent another $2199 on M3. I am a professional photographer who only shoot stills, there is not need to purchase the Cine version. So the price difference is $700, not $1800.

Besides the image quality improvement of that 4/3 sensor, there are other improvements which benefit my professional work:

1) The 50% increased flight time (46 min vs. 31 min) gives me more freedom to scout the terrain, compose and shoot, especially during sunrise/sunset. The sky still looks fantastic, even 20 minutes after sun goes down the horizon. There have been multiple occasions I missed a golden opportunity, because the battery ran out, and I have to land the drone, change the battery, and fly back to the same spot to continue the shooting.

2) The extra wind resistance of M3 means more stable shoot in windy condition. It also helps long exposure during night shoot.

3) The 7x telephone camera. If you are creative, you can still come back with some interesting and unique images.

4) The 15.5mm add-on wide angle lens. Personally I think this accessary is a killer feature for photographers, since it opens a whole new door to more dramatic aerial images.
These are only a few of the reasons the M3 upgrade is well worth the nominal cost. Relative to professional video camera equipment of ANY kind, a thousand or two $$ is pocket change (even for a hobbyist/semi-pro). Professional video equipment is expensive... very expensive. I own Blackmagic cinema cameras 'cause that's what I can afford and the step up to Red is tens of thousands more $$. It's pretty annoying IMO all the haters on this forum, YT, etc. complaining... 'OMG, $3,000 for the new M3, what a rip-off, money grab, etc, etc'. Most of it is click-bait for the ignorant masses that don't realize that any SINGLE one of the upgrades (re: ProRes to internal SSD, longer flight time, SIDE SENSORS, 7x camera) would be worth the upgrade for ANY pro videographer and MANY hobbyists. There's just WAY too much chatter on this topic. Buy it or don't, but please stop the pointless b#tch!n'.

Last edited:
These are only a few of the reasons the M3 upgrade is well worth the nominal cost. Relative to professional video camera equipment of ANY kind, a thousand or two $$ is pocket change (even for a hobbyist/semi-pro). Professional video equipment is expensive... very expensive. I own Blackmagic cinema cameras 'cause that's what I can afford and the step up to Red is tens of thousands more $$. It's pretty annoying IMO all the haters on this forum, YT, etc. complaining... 'OMG, $3,000 for the new M3, what a rip-off, money grab, etc, etc'. Most of it is click-bait for the ignorant masses that don't realize that any SINGLE one of the upgrades (re: ProRes to internal SSD, longer flight time, 7x camera) would be worth the upgrade for ANY pro videographer and MANY hobbyists. There's just WAY too much chatter on this topic. Buy it or don't, but please stop the pointless b#tch!n'.
AMEN!

Reactions: BigAl07 and Droniac
DJI might not be so gracious in this case because DJI also sells their own filters. If third party filters aren't available on launch day, DJI gets 100% of the filter business until that changes. This allows them to capture a nice chunk of that market before it becomes a free-for-all. They also use included filters as part of the value proposition for their bundles. Lens filters are incredibly high margin products so they probably want as much of that as they can get. I obviously don't know for sure what their plan is, but it seems that is what they did in this case.

Often times accessory manufacturers do get pre-release info, not necessarily in terms of the physical product, but things like detailed CAD drawings so they can have accessories ready on or close to launch day. Smartphone cases often work like this, just as one example.
4Hawks is already in the process of getting upgraded antennas out the door.

254925405_1289660731501299_7407719216947834788_n.png

Reactions: zeusfl
These are only a few of the reasons the M3 upgrade is well worth the nominal cost. Relative to professional video camera equipment of ANY kind, a thousand or two $$ is pocket change (even for a hobbyist/semi-pro). Professional video equipment is expensive... very expensive. I own Blackmagic cinema cameras 'cause that's what I can afford and the step up to Red is tens of thousands more $$. It's pretty annoying IMO all the haters on this forum, YT, etc. complaining... 'OMG, $3,000 for the new M3, what a rip-off, money grab, etc, etc'. Most of it is click-bait for the ignorant masses that don't realize that any SINGLE one of the upgrades (re: ProRes to internal SSD, longer flight time, 7x camera) would be worth the upgrade for ANY pro videographer and MANY hobbyists. There's just WAY too much chatter on this topic. Buy it or don't, but please stop the pointless b#tch!n'.
What I'd LIKE to see instead of the endless chatter about pricing is some real comparative differences on ProRes video at night, more examples of 7x camera video. Aside from the extended flight time and other features, video quality is theoretically what may separate the M3 from the MA2S. The side sensors are a pretty big deal as I've crashed three times doing POI's, resulting in challenging recoveries, then costly repairs.
I currently fly the M2P and MA2. The M2P takes perfectly good video and photos, but its flying features are outdated compared to the MA2S. I'm truly on the fence. Is the MA2S a necessary upgrade for my MA2 or just upgrade to the M3? With winter coming, I may just wait for the next worth flying trip/destination and see what the YT universe has to say after using the M3 for a while.

There is one YT reviewer that posts on his web site "Tom's Tech Time", where you could download sample videos and photos and he's done this for a few drones that I recall, so you could if the history is available, download unmodified video and photos from different models to compare the quality and how it looks for you on your gear...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twin01