DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2S vs M3 night photos

These are only a few of the reasons the M3 upgrade is well worth the nominal cost. Relative to professional video camera equipment of ANY kind, a thousand or two $$ is pocket change (even for a hobbyist/semi-pro). Professional video equipment is expensive... very expensive. I own Blackmagic cinema cameras 'cause that's what I can afford and the step up to Red is tens of thousands more $$. It's pretty annoying IMO all the haters on this forum, YT, etc. complaining... 'OMG, $3,000 for the new M3, what a rip-off, money grab, etc, etc'. Most of it is click-bait for the ignorant masses that don't realize that any SINGLE one of the upgrades (re: ProRes to internal SSD, longer flight time, SIDE SENSORS, 7x camera) would be worth the upgrade for ANY pro videographer and MANY hobbyists. There's just WAY too much chatter on this topic. Buy it or don't, but please stop the pointless b#tch!n'.

All these hate from hobbyists, because DJI named this drone "Mavic 3", which sets a false expectation.

Had DJI named it "Inspire Mini", there would have been a lot less noise on the Internet.

Not my video
That makes it more suspicious (to me) that someone may have something against the M3 or DJI, and these photos are not ligit. Maybe people stood that still even though that's not likely, but speeding cars are in the same place. I'm not buying it, the photos that is.

Just wondering how you had taken some of these photos at the exact same time. The cars and people in the exact same positions without moving seemed strange. Somethings fishy.

They may have had both drones up in the air at the same time with 2 pilots - just a guess though.

The comparison is useless for a number of reasons though. First, the fact that it's been uploaded to YouTube means nothing to do with image quality can be evaluated objectively right off the bat. Second, the exposure and framing is different in every comparison sequence. Third, we have no way to verify what processing was or was not done to the images.

If you want to evaluate image quality from an objective standpoint, you need to have the raw footage/files and a way to view them, there is no way around that. I suspect most of these comparisons are being made to farm views as people directly profit off of that.

Reactions: Sripey and sar104
They may have had both drones up in the air at the same time with 2 pilots - just a guess though
No, take a good look at all the cars that you can find. Cars making turns with the exact same blur, all those people in the one scene not a single movement. They could not synchronize every photo to the split second. It's bogus. You are correct about comparing photos especialy from you tube.

Just wondering how you had taken some of these photos at the exact same time. The cars and people in the exact same positions without moving seemed strange. Somethings fishy.
This is a 100% fake review. Someone just looking for clicks.

You can't have the same reflections from two different cameras.

Attachments

• Fake.jpg
    Fake.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
.. and if you look at his channel, he's done the same thing on his other Mavic 2 Air 2 S comparison. Check out the clouds and tree limb position.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 1.43.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-09 at 1.43.39 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: globetrotterdrone
PGYTech and PolarPro already have Mavic 3 filters?!🤯
PolarPro has not announced anything yet. I emailed their support department yesterday and they were non-commital. Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't found any CP filters for the M3. A high percentage of my still photos are over water and I leave the PolarPro CP on my M2P the majority of the time. I want good quality glass and have been pleased with PolarPro.

I came here to report the same thing about how the images are practically the same thing, especially with the cars they are in the same exact position in both photos and the shadows are exactly the same. Even with 2 pilots flying 2 different drones there is no way everything will be exactly in the same spot. Not to mention the photos in the video looked like they have been ripped from another video or source due to all the compression on them.

PolarPro has not announced anything yet. I emailed their support department yesterday and they were non-commital. Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't found any CP filters for the M3. A high percentage of my still photos are over water and I leave the PolarPro CP on my M2P the majority of the time. I want good quality glass and have been pleased with PolarPro.

They are launching a new line of filters for Mavic 3, on Dec. 13th.

screenshot.jpg

Reactions: RonBower
I came here to report the same thing about how the images are practically the same thing, especially with the cars they are in the same exact position in both photos and the shadows are exactly the same. Even with 2 pilots flying 2 different drones there is no way everything will be exactly in the same spot. Not to mention the photos in the video looked like they have been ripped from another video or source due to all the compression on them.
His whole channel is full of fake comparisons.

Reactions: BigAl07

By the way, you can also purchase UV/CPL/ND/VND filters for Mavic 3 from PGYTech, starting Dec. 10th.

screenshot.png

Billy Kyle just did a comparison between ProRes and other CODECs. Not exactly comprehensive and no night video clips, but you can see there’s no clear advantage with the ProRes in his example. The fortunate truth is that the current CODECs are really quite good. If you’re trying too hard in post to recover highlights and lift harsh shadows, perhaps you should consider filing when the light quality is better.

Thanks for this info! I don't have any experience with PGYTECH filters. Does anyone have an opinion of them relative to the PolarPro filters? Thanks!

Polar Pro is the "gold standard" in terms of build quality but it's unlikely you will notice an image quality difference between any of them provided you are buying from a major brand. PGYTECH has made filters for most previous DJI drones as well, and they were fine in the past. Other "value" brands to check out is Neewer and Freewell.

Lens filters in general are incredibly high margin products, so as long as they are using good optical quality glass, multicoated for reflections, and have uniform/accurate ND properties, it doesn't really matter which ones you go with. Also, since most filters can be found on Amazon, you've got a month to try them out and return them if you aren't happy with the quality.

Sad to see that the improvement is minimal. Was expecting to see much better differences between the two

Difference is far from minimal! Look at the dynamic range (the difference between black and white) - way more range on the Mavic 3.
Look at the sharpness!
The video was also biased, trying to favour the Air; but the differences are obvious.

If people don’t want to spend the money, or can’t, that’s fine - complain about the price in a dedicated forum. I’m getting annoyed at reading all the rants about how the improvements are “minimal” from people who don’t or can’t, spend the money. It’s pathetic.

4/3 sensor - huge difference
better lens
better flying abilities
the list goes on…
the 3 is a Game Changer.

Reactions: Komatsu
Billy Kyle just did a comparison between ProRes and other CODECs. Not exactly comprehensive and no night video clips, but you can see there’s no clear advantage with the ProRes in his example. The fortunate truth is that the current CODECs are really quite good. If you’re trying too hard in post to recover highlights and lift harsh shadows, perhaps you should consider filing when the light quality is better.

This is laughable, honestly. The main benefits of ProRes are ease of editing - not in the final compressed version. But there are visible differences - you are choosing not to see them.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111