DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft orientation sometimes there, sometimes not.

Drony_Drone

Reactions
The aircraft orientation symbol on middle bottom is really handy. However I find sometimes it’s just not there at all, or is red and doesn’t work.

I’m up to date on firmware and app on iOS. I use an iPhone 11 with it. Why doesn’t it appear sometimes at all?

Thanks

Seems to be a wide spread issue when looking about now.

Found this on YT
haven’t tried it on my iPhone, not sure what that phone was, but that’s not good.

Anyone else hand this problem? Bit worrying if DJI didn’t notice this when developing it.

How do you calibrate the compass on iPhone 11?

Thanks

I think this is primarily an issue of Wi-Fi network interference. When I fly my drone out in the country The position indicator works all the time. But when I’m in the city, it frequently flakes out as you described.

I think this is primarily an issue of Wi-Fi network interference. When I fly my drone out in the country The position indicator works all the time. But when I’m in the city, it frequently flakes out as you described.

Ah ok, my iPhone is in aircraft mode when flying, so shouldn’t be that.

It’s annoying as it’s a really handy feature I find for easy quick reference.

Ah ok, my iPhone is in aircraft mode when flying, so shouldn’t be that.

It’s annoying as it’s a really handy feature I find for easy quick reference.
i find it better to have the map showing it gives home point and aircraft direction and the orientation icon is hidden

i find it better to have the map showing it gives home point and aircraft direction and the orientation icon is hidden
I agree, I use the map but didn't realize that when the map is showing the orientation icon is hidden. I use a couple of devices (iphone and ipad) so am used to the seeing/not seeing the icon. Will have to check that out. Thanks again OMM

Reactions: old man mavic
I agree, I use the map but didn't realize that when the map is showing the orientation icon is hidden. I use a couple of devices (iphone and ipad) so am used to the seeing/not seeing the icon. Will have to check that out. Thanks again OMM
i think it it because the fly app has not been optimised for the Ipad yet,maybe it will show both when it is,i have mine set in 16.9 and end up with a half inch border around the screen on my 9.7inch Ipad, it is still larger than using a phone though ,my biggest gripe is the lettering at the top of the screen for info being in white and it doesn't show up very well against the sky background colour

Reactions: WooZie
Had the same issue, the AC orientation arrow is not accurate. I just calibrated the compass on my mobile device. Will try it out, hopefully today, to check whether this fixed the issue.

Flew one battery today after calibrating the phone compass but still the same; the arrow is still a bit off from where it should be.

Any ideas?

Mine wasn’t there today. On iPhone, there is a setting to enable compass calibration and it’s on, so not sure what else can do.

If you use the map, the orientation of the triangle is a reliable indicator which way the aircraft is pointing. I always check it before liftoff on both the Phantom and the mini. If you have say a north south/street and the aircraft is pointing parallel to the street, you should see this on the map. If it shows pointing in a different direction, you best be checking the compass.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't thought checking the map view to see whether it points to the right direction, I need to try it. Seeing a couple of videos in YT, I saw that even in the camera view this was accurate that's why I was baffled to see mine being a bit off.

When I realized that it's inaccurate, the first thing I did was to calibrate the compass but didn't seem to have any effect. Still, if it works in the map view I am fine with it.

The AC indicator (after a flight with the new app) is still a bit off. However, checking the map view the orientation is correct so it's a good indication about where the aircraft is pointing with respect to the home point.

Interesting...

So if using a phone/tablet mount things may get even more complicated when trying to identify the correct phone placement.

iPhone don’t have, to me knowledge, a manual calibration now for compass.

There is a setting to have it on or off?l but that’s it.

65cda731a816e5078402396307656c8b.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise