DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Warning - Will other drones trigger it?

chanson

Reactions
I was flying in a park right next to the Mississippi River in Memphis today and was returning out over the river when I received a "Manned aircraft" nearby warning. Of course I decreased altitude and looked all around. Suddenly I heard a drone over my head and realized that someone else had launched a drone (don't know for sure but it looked to be a Mavic of some type). I never saw any other traffic at all. So, the question is, can another drone trigger the warning that another aircraft is nearby?

Thanks!
Chris

I was flying in a park right next to the Mississippi River in Memphis today and was returning out over the river when I received a "Manned aircraft" nearby warning. Of course I decreased altitude and looked all around. Suddenly I heard a drone over my head and realized that someone else had launched a drone (don't know for sure but it looked to be a Mavic of some type). I never saw any other traffic at all. So, the question is, can another drone trigger the warning that another aircraft is nearby?

Thanks!
Chris

The "manned aircraft" warning covers a fairly large area of airspace. Maybe a lower flying Cessna or something you could not see - just out of line of sight. As long as you are below 400 ft AGL - descending is your choice - depending on many factors. If you were flying near a hospital with emergency helicopters - you do need to be fully aware of that and they can fly below 600 ft AGL. Apps like Kittyhawk and others will show you those areas. BTW - there are many of them too - even in a super rural area like where I live. Not to mention small airports that do have NFZ's.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Negative... that is coming from ADS-B and UAS do not participate in that program. Actually they are not ALLOWED to be in that program at all.

Reactions: dawgpilot

Thanks!
Chris
Hey Chris,
I believe that DJI is the only consumer drone manufacturer that has started implementing ADS-B receivers in their drones. As far as I know only fixed wing and helicopters have transponders. Because your drone only receives the ADS-B signals, it is invisible to all other aircraft. I hope I was able to answer your question.
Best regards,
Rex

Reactions: Ben Anderson
I have gotten the Manned aircraft warning and never saw any aircraft. When I check the map there is a small airpark a few miles away and when they just start their planes up I will get that warning. I have watched and the aircraft indicator will show the plane sitting on the taxi way for quite a while.

I have gotten the Manned aircraft warning and never saw any aircraft. When I check the map there is a small airpark a few miles away and when they just start their planes up I will get that warning. I have watched and the aircraft indicator will show the plane sitting on the taxi way for quite a while.
And the app's warning gets more insistent if the manned A/C is actually in the drone's (or is it the pilot's) immediate vicinity.

And the app's warning gets more insistent if the manned A/C is actually in the drone's (or is it the pilot's) immediate vicinity.
Yes it does... Even though I am close to that airfield and there are no restrictions, I stay away from the line of the runway. But I have had a few planes turn into the area I have been in... even one that was extremely low and I was getting the insistent warning.

Thanks for all of the helpful replies! The warning was very brief. Based on your feedback, I'm assuming that it was an aircraft that was rather far away and just close enough to briefly trigger the warning.

Good flying!
Chris

Reactions: Rex Peters
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming