DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airplane mode IOS

If you load the map etc before switching you will have the "Area" maps available but if you move or fly a long distance you may not have enough or the right tiles in memory to view the detailed map. It just depends on what's loaded into memory prior to switching into Airplane mode.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Before I head out, I usually load up the maps into my WiFi only Tablet and zoom in to make sure I get all the detail. My old Tracfone Smartphone will not Hotspot or Tether. The maps stay in memory until I go fly someplace else. I suggest you load up the maps after you arrive, Zoom In on the location and maybe even scroll around a bit on the maps to cover out a mile or so… Then go to airplane mode, it's less drain on the battery, you do not get disturbed while flying, and in a critical situation (heavy wind, birds, trees, etc…) you are not distracted by Mom calling to ask, "When are you coming over, I never see you any more since you got that new toy…"

Other points that I've heard concerning IOS phones is by turning the screen to max brightness so you can see it outside in the bright sun is don't charge the phone while you are flying as it can cause the phone to get hot and shut down the screen, not good if your drone is out a bit and you cannot see it's orientation… You'll be stuck with hitting the 'ol RTH…

User of IOS phones are knowledgeable on this and may discredit this, I've only heard comments on some YouTube Videos…

Happy Droning and Fly Safe…

If you load the map etc before switching you will have the "Area" maps available but if you move or fly a long distance you may not have enough or the right tiles in memory to view the detailed map. It just depends on what's loaded into memory prior to switching into Airplane mode.
Thanx! Then I will for sure never use "Airplane Mode"

Reactions: LoudThunder
Based on what BigAl07 wrote about maps tiles, I ran a few tests on my Wi-Fi only Samsung Galaxy S2 Tablet. With the Wi-Fi on, I loaded my location maps without scrolling. I shut down the Fly App, turned off the Wi-Fi and then restarted the Fly App. My map tile measured only 500' east and 500' west of my location and 800' north and 800' south of my location. The Map tile was a high-resolution Satellite image, but outside of those distances, there was no satellite image and the street view was little more than streets.

I reran the test, this time I scrolled around for a couple of miles in all directions from my location then I shut down the App, turned off the Wi-Fi and restarted the App. The above rectangle remained high resolution, but for several miles out in all directions, I had a lower level satellite image, enough to distinguish houses, bushes, trees, cars, etc… Not bad, but not the greatest…

So what Big Al says is correct, I guess I'll have to carry my wife's phone as it allows Hot Spotting.

If you do not want to be disturbed by phone calls while flying, you have several options besides going into Airplane Mode which also shut down data…. In setup, turn off vibrate when ringing (I set mine up to vibrate and ring…), and in setup, select Mute, or just turn the volume down so you cannot hear the ringing…

skype.png

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fotcs