DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airplane mode- is GPS still active?

Lurch003

Reactions
Hey y'all

Apologies for the newbie question, can't get to a nice 'open space' while in lockdown to test.

If I put my phone in airplane mode as I've read, and been advised on here, do you lose any GPS or map?

Probably over worrying for nothing but heard a few horror stories and don't want to lose my mini!

Thanks
P

Reactions: Tim Cook 173
Hey y'all

Apologies for the newbie question, can't get to a nice 'open space' while in lockdown to test.

If I put my phone in airplane mode as I've read, and been advised on here, do you lose any GPS or map?

Probably over worrying for nothing but heard a few horror stories and don't want to lose my mini!

Thanks
P
You won't lose GPS, but you won't be able to download maps. However, if you download maps before you go to airplane mode, they will be cached.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Cool, thanks guys. So many things to go wrong running through my mind!

Cool, thanks guys. So many things to go wrong running through my mind!
Take it slow. Stay close. Get used to controls. Practice simple maneuvers first. Tons of good tutorials on beginner flying on You Tube. We all started exactly where you are. Have fun and good luck.

I never fly in airplane mode - Android or IOS, and I have not yet had any issues.

Be advised, in airplane mode (or with wifi and/or bluetooth OFF) you will lose some functionality, including switching modes.

There have been threads/postings on this.

Take it slow. Stay close. Get used to controls. Practice simple maneuvers first. Tons of good tutorials on beginner flying on You Tube. We all started exactly where you are. Have fun and good luck.

Oh it's staying close, trust me! Learning controls and getting used to looking at the feed whilst watching the drone... Never was good at multi tasking! Crept up to 20m today and still very wary.
Just want to make sure everything's working ok and I'm not making bad habits!

I never fly in airplane mode - Android or IOS, and I have not yet had any issues.

Be advised, in airplane mode (or with wifi and/or bluetooth OFF) you will lose some functionality, including switching modes.

There have been threads/postings on this.

I did not know that, thank you. Read to put into airplane mode on a few posts, might just turn off cellular instead and see if that gets modes back... Still lots to learn!

I did not know that, thank you. Read to put into airplane mode on a few posts, might just turn off cellular instead and see if that gets modes back... Still lots to learn!

Like I said in your other thread, try leaving everything on to start with. Even cellular. Just fly low and slow. See what it can do. Even if a call comes in while flying, nothing is going to happen. Experience this so you have the confidence. Then start learning. Yes, cellular off is a good idea, just to avoid distractions.
Don't be scared. But don't be stupid either! This is not a toy in any sense of the word. Read up. Ask questions. AND DON'T BE STUPID. And I promise you...... you will really enjoy it.

Have you downloaded the complete manual and read it a couple of times?

Please do. It pays off.

Sorry.... talking like an old man (but I am :cool:).

Cheers!

Reactions: slup
Interesting, I always fly in flight mode (and do have problems switching modes unless I exit the app and start again after connecting to the MM)

I do this because I did have problems when I didn’t go into flight mode, I kept getting “temporary” connection problems and the video feed dropped even when the drone was very, very close. I still had full control of the MM and the connection never returns so I have to land without video, turn the MM off and on again to recover this.

This really concerned me in case I lost control all together and that’s why I always use flight mode now, haven’t been brave enough to try it since though.....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98