DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airplane Mode or Not?

Ray&Paula

Reactions
Hi, Newbie just received my Mavic Air. I would like to know if it's better to fly in airplane mode or not? I will be using a 9.7 Apple iPad with the controller. I have two Apple iPads with one being an iPad Air 2 (WiFi only) with the other being a 2018 (WiFi + 4G LTE). I'll be using the 2018 iPad for the most part.
"Please correct me if I'm wrong;"
1) Airplane mode will cut off any incoming calls and/or texts therefore, I won't be bothered by them while flying. With that being said, I would have live mapping, be able to reset RTH and use the Follow Me Mode just as long as I'm using the 2018 (WiFi = 4G LTE iPad).
2) I don't believe I need a cellular plan (no data needed) if using the 2018 (WiFi + 4G LTE) in order to use "all" the functions of the Mavic Air.
I hope I'm not asking this in a confusing manner. I would sincerely appreciate any input and/or help that you may have. Thank, Ray

Reactions: Irish-apple
I) MavicAir work fine with your mobile device Airplane mode
2) data plan is optional

Hi, Newbie just received my Mavic Air. I would like to know if it's better to fly in airplane mode or not? I will be using a 9.7 Apple iPad with the controller. I have two Apple iPads with one being an iPad Air 2 (WiFi only) with the other being a 2018 (WiFi + 4G LTE). I'll be using the 2018 iPad for the most part.
"Please correct me if I'm wrong;"
1) Airplane mode will cut off any incoming calls and/or texts therefore, I won't be bothered by them while flying. With that being said, I would have live mapping, be able to reset RTH and use the Follow Me Mode just as long as I'm using the 2018 (WiFi = 4G LTE iPad).
2) I don't believe I need a cellular plan (no data needed) if using the 2018 (WiFi + 4G LTE) in order to use "all" the functions of the Mavic Air.
I hope I'm not asking this in a confusing manner. I would sincerely appreciate any input and/or help that you may have. Thank, Ray
cache your maps

I use the same pal an iPad 2018 and cellular never put in a SIM card .. you cant tether signal from phone but cache maps anyhow

Possible to use USB cable?

Airplane mode if you don't want any interruptions while flying.
As mentioned above,cache your flying area map.

Thanks to all above for the help. It appears that I'm correct about Airport mode therefore, I will fly in that mode for no interruptions. I'll have my cell phone on me for the calls and/or text. It also appears that I don't need any type of plan for WiFi or Cellular to fly. All I need to have is my 2018 iPad thats has both capabilities in order to use "all" the modes. However if I want live maps, I would need to have a data cellular plan or use my iPhone as a hotspot. By caching the maps ahead of time, I wouldn't need to use my iPhone as a hotspot. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Thanks again for all your help. Ray :)

Thanks to all above for the help. It appears that I'm correct about Airport mode therefore, I will fly in that mode for no interruptions. I'll have my cell phone on me for the calls and/or text. It also appears that I don't need any type of plan for WiFi or Cellular to fly. All I need to have is my 2018 iPad thats has both capabilities in order to use "all" the modes. However if I want live maps, I would need to have a data cellular plan or use my iPhone as a hotspot. By caching the maps ahead of time, I wouldn't need to use my iPhone as a hotspot. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Thanks again for all your help. Ray :)
at home with wifi plan your journey open the dji go app no aircraft needed to be connected scroll around in satellite mode scroll a lot actually in. case you decide to move or something { make sure cache maps is on in settings }get there make your checks before flight connect drone make a wonderful movie enjoy !

at home with wifi plan your journey open the dji go app no aircraft needed to be connected scroll around in satellite mode scroll a lot actually in. case you decide to move or something { make sure cache maps is on in settings }get there make your checks before flight connect drone make a wonderful movie enjoy !

Sounds great...... Everyone here has really helped me in understanding what steps to take. I now know that I don't have to have data plans to do everything the Mavic Air has to offer. I will definitely fly in Airplane mode. Now I have to wrap my head around GEO Unlocking........ which seems to be a P.I.A. Thank's goes out to all of you for your help, I sincerely appreciate it. Ray :):)Thumbswayup

I tend to use ‘do not disturb’ rather than Airplane mode. I click the ‘do not disturb’ button, then turn off wifi and bluetooth, turn up brightness the whole way and turn up the audio the whole way.

Never had any problems.

Reactions: derekcreates
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes