DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airplane taveling

Monty97

Reactions
I'm thinking about taking the pro2 instead of the air to lake Superior this summer and was wondering if any one has traveled via plane with the pro2. I'm getting the requirements from tsa and the airlines. Just would like to get recommendations from anyone. It's m first air travel.
Thanks

Reactions: PhoenixBird
The only requirements are to pack the drone batteries in your carry-on bag and make sure the battery terminals are covered. You can cover the battery terminals by placing the batteries in a case that has dedicated battery slots, with battery covers (like these SunnyLife covers), or with tape.

Reactions: Thomas B
I'm thinking about taking the pro2 instead of the air to lake Superior this summer and was wondering if any one has traveled via plane with the pro2. I'm getting the requirements from tsa and the airlines. Just would like to get recommendations from anyone. It's m first air travel.
People fly with their drones every day and the TSA security check people see drones on their X-Ray scanners every day.
There are no particular rules for your drone but the batteries have to go in your carry-on luggage and not in checked luggage.

Reactions: Thomas B
The only requirements are to pack the drone batteries in your carry-on bag and make sure the battery terminals are covered. You can cover the battery terminals by placing the batteries in a case that has dedicated battery slots, with battery covers (like these SunnyLife covers), or with tape.

View attachment 75265
Cool got them on orer.
Thanks

Would it help to have a print out of battery specifications?

It wouldn't hurt. You likely won't be asked to produce it.

FLown internationally several times and have never even been asked to open the case. Just put a strip of black electrical tape over the spare battery terminals. That's all I do plus my case has individual cut outs for each of the three batteries. Anyone need a Mavic 2 case, I have a spare for sale now?

I work for TSA in Las Vegas and have seen many drones come through the checkpoint. Not one has been stopped for the batteries. The only thing that TSA will require is that all electronics larger than a cell phone needs to come out of the bag. The intent of this is that nothing is on top or below the electronic item so the x-ray operator has a clear image of the electronic. The only exception to this is if they are using the explosive detection dogs, then you would not be required to remove your electronics or shoes. If you do have to remove your drone I would recommend removing the props because there are four lead curtains on the x-ray and they are always catching property and pushing it out of the bin. I would hate for the curtain to catch a prop and damage it. If you are TSA Pre-Check you are not required to remove your electronics.

Happy traveling!

Thanks
Have flown to Jamaica. I pack the batteries in LIPO bags. Carry on. No problems at all.

I work for TSA in Las Vegas and have seen many drones come through the checkpoint. Not one has been stopped for the batteries. The only thing that TSA will require is that all electronics larger than a cell phone needs to come out of the bag. The intent of this is that nothing is on top or below the electronic item so the x-ray operator has a clear image of the electronic. The only exception to this is if they are using the explosive detection dogs, then you would not be required to remove your electronics or shoes. If you do have to remove your drone I would recommend removing the props because there are four lead curtains on the x-ray and they are always catching property and pushing it out of the bin. I would hate for the curtain to catch a prop and damage it. If you are TSA Pre-Check you are not required to remove your electronics.

Happy traveling!
So I will be required to remove the drone and controller along with the batteries out of the case ? Thanks Monty97

You should only have to remove the drone. The controller is about the size of a typical phone like iPhone X/Samsung S9 and so are the batteries.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J