DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace Authorization

It seems to be saying that airport already has LAANC available so you can just use the LAANC app when you want to fly there and don't need use the DroneZone process. What Class D airport were you seeking an authorization for?
KITH. Yes, I tested and it does have LAANC enabled - I thought the whole idea of the DropZone Authorization was to get a blanket approval and not have to be submitting a flight plan every time I want to head out. I'm VERY new to Airmap process - did my first flight plan for KITH Class D airspace yesterday. I live within the airspace so need an approval anytime I want to go out in the back yard and take off for 5 minutes.

KITH. Yes, I tested and it does have LAANC enabled - I thought the whole idea of the DropZone Authorization was to get a blanket approval and not have to be submitting a flight plan every time I want to head out. I'm VERY new to Airmap process - did my first flight plan for KITH Class D airspace yesterday. I live within the airspace so need an approval anytime I want to go out in the back yard and take off for 5 minutes.

You misunderstood: the point of the DroneZone process is to seek authorizations for those airports that haven't been LAANC enabled yet. The FAA otherwise wants you using LAANC so they have a real-time notification of where drone activity is taking place, which they don't get if you obtain a manual blanket authorization.

In fact, one of my year-long DroneZone authorizations I obtained last year is expiring at the end of this month, and sometime since obtained it, that airport joined LAANC. When I logged in to see the renewal options, there was a message that said that since the airport has joined LAANC, the authorization isn't available for renewal.

Once you are used to using LAANC it really should take no longer than 30 seconds to obtain an authorization, so it's not really a hassle.

You misunderstood: the point of the DroneZone process is to seek authorizations for those airports that haven't been LAANC enabled yet. The FAA otherwise wants you using LAANC so they have a real-time notification of where drone activity is taking place, which they don't get if you obtain a manual blanket authorization.

In fact, one of my year-long DroneZone authorizations I obtained last year is expiring at the end of this month, and sometime since obtained it, that airport joined LAANC. When I logged in to see the renewal options, there was a message that said that since the airport has joined LAANC, the authorization isn't available for renewal.

Once you are used to using LAANC it really should take no longer than 30 seconds to obtain an authorization, so it's not really a hassle.
Ahh, got it. Yes, I missed the goal on that one. Thanks @dawgpilot for the helpful insight; I'll plan to play with Airmap more.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload