DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace Authorization

PapaBob

Reactions
I do commercial photography and have 4 prospective clients that are interested in drone work. That prompted me to take the 107 exam which I passed at the end of last month. The prospective jobs would cover two class C airspaces and three class D airspaces. The C's are no problem because I have LAANC access. None of the D's are listed in the LANNC directory. There is no information on the internet as to if and when they will come on line. I will be making some calls to the FBOs to see if they have any information. It seems the an airspace authorization is not the answer because I may have little lead time on most of the jobs (one is a commercial construction firm and another is a local real estate firm). An airspace waiver seems to be the answer. It is a PITA to apply for but I am up for the task if there is no alternative. Any suggestions for a new pilot?

---Bob

Last edited:
Reactions: PhoenixBird
I do commercial photography and have 4 prospective clients that are interested in drone work. That prompted me to take the 107 exam which I passed at the end of last month. The prospective jobs would cover two class B airspaces and three class D airspaces. The B's are no problem because I have LAANC access. None of the D's are listed in the LANNC directory. There is no information on the internet as to if and when they will come on line. I will be making some calls to the FBOs to see if they have any information. It seems the an airspace authorization is not the answer because I may have little lead time on most of the jobs (one is a commercial construction firm and another is a local real estate firm). An airspace waiver seems to be the answer. It is a PITA to apply for but I am up for the task if there is no alternative. Any suggestions for a new pilot?

---Bob

What type of D airspace is it and how high does the lower level start? Surface or above it? Check it using a sectional.

Most, if not all, Class D airspace starts at the surface and has a specific ceiling. Class B, C and E have varying floors and ceilings. Class D, though, often changes to Class E when the control tower is closed.

Reactions: PapaBob
You apply for a blanket airspace authorization (not a "waiver") via the FAA DroneZone site for each of those airspace areas. You can typically get permission to fly up to the facility map altitudes, and the authorization can be granted for at least a year or two. I've gone though the process for several Class D airports that aren't in LAANC and the process was pretty easy.

Depending on the area, you can be approved in less than a week these days, but in theory it can take up to 90 days or so.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

dawgpilot: According to the information from my DroneZone account you can apply for an airspace authorization/waiver (as opposed to an operational waiver which is different). My understanding is that an airspace authorization is for a specific flight and a waiver is general permission to fly provided you observe the uas facility map altitude limitations and follow all of the 107 rules. My problem is that when I click on the airspace authorization/waiver guidelines tab I get directed to "page not found" [FAA has to fix that]. I do not want to learn by stumbling through the application process. I want all of my ducks properly lined up for the sake of the FAA examiner who has to review this. If you can give me any pointers then that would be greatly appreciated.

I was hoping for an alternative but that is most likely wishful thinking.

Last edited:
Update: this was originally written for Part 107 pilots only. Since writing this, the FAA added a separate Recreational pilot airspace authorization section in DroneZone. I have yet to update this material to account for any differences in that process, if any.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

dawgpilot: According to the information from my DroneZone account you can apply for an airspace authorization/waiver (as opposed to an operational waiver which is different). My understanding is that an airspace authorization is for a specific flight and a waiver is general permission to fly provided you observe the uas facility map altitude limitations and follow all of the 107 rules. My problem is that when I click on the airspace authorization/waiver guidelines tab I get directed to "page not found" [FAA has to fix that]. I do not want to learn by stumbling through the application process. I want all of my ducks properly lined up for the sake of the FAA examiner who has to review this. If you can give me any pointers then that would be greatly appreciated.

I was hoping for an alternative but that is most likely wishful thinking.

The process/website is a bit confusing if you haven't gone through before, but as I mentioned in my previous reply, I've personally gone through this several times, and currently hold multiple blanket wide-area airspace authorizations for different Class D airspace areas.

The FAA has previously explained that for 99% of the pilots out there, authorizations is what they want us to be selecting. It can be better explained this way: an authorization is "getting permission to enter the airspace", whereas a waiver is saying that the airspace rules don't apply to you at all. They are much more comfortable with the idea of "authorizing" UAS pilots, even if it's for a wide-area (the entire Class D airspace, up to the UAS Facility Map altitude) and even for an entire year's duration.

I'll tell you how I've filled out the application:

Select Airspace Authorization on Drone Zone.

For your title, just name your operation whatever you want. (for example, "Wide-Area Authorization for XXXX Class D Airspace") You'll fill out your personal details below that, such as your name and phone number.

On the next page enter your proposed start date and end date. The end date can be a year into the future (or more). In my experience the FAA examiner will automatically adjust the dates when they approve you to whatever they are comfortable with.

Timeframe: you can select everything but Night. Flying at night requires a separate Night waiver to be on file, which I don't have.
Frequency: How often do you expect to be flying? Make your best guess there.
Time Zone: self explanatory.
Proposed Location of Operation: Here you can write that you are planning to operate in multiple locations in that airspace area, up to the Facility Map Altitudes. You should add that you will comply with the UAS Facility Map and not fly in any areas that have a 0 altitude posted.

Proposed Maximum Altitude: Here I selected 400 feet.

For latitude and longitude, you pick the GPS coordinates for the center of the airport at the middle of the airspace area you are applying for. You can get the GPS coordinates for an airport off of AirNav.com.

For Radius (this is important): You want to pick "Wide Area".
Nearest airport: the airport associated with that Class D airspace, and for Airspace: Pick Class D

Description of your operation: You can briefly write the purpose of your operations. (aerial photography, roof inspections, etc). I usually add something about maintaining compliance with all Part 107 regulations and again that I will follow the UAS Facility Map as far as altitudes that I will be flying. Also that I won't fly if there is a Temporary Flight restriction in the area, etc.

Existing authorizations/waivers: Unless you've applied in the past, this should be answered No.

After that you can submit your application and wait. Depending on their workload, I've had applications approved in as little as 24 hours recently. After they approve it, you can download an Authorization document that you can print out that shows you have FAA permission to fly in that airspace. None of my authorizations have required that I contact ATC or anything before specific flights, so I'm basically good to go for flying in these areas for the next year. (absent some other flight restriction like a TFR for a football game, etc)

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited:
Wow! Great information dawgpilot. Thanks for taking the time to explain. Yes the website is confusing and most youTube videos are worthless. Thanks again!

Reactions: dawgpilot
My pleasure. Good luck with your authorization applications. In my personal experience the process went incredibly smoothly.

Reactions: CNYdronepilot
The process/website is a bit confusing if you haven't gone through before, but as I mentioned in my previous reply, I've personally gone through this several times, and currently hold multiple blanket wide-area airspace authorizations for different Class D airspace areas.

The FAA has previously explained that for 99% of the pilots out there, authorizations is what they want us to be selecting. It can be better explained this way: an authorization is "getting permission to enter the airspace", whereas a waiver is saying that the airspace rules don't apply to you at all. They are much more comfortable with the idea of "authorizing" UAS pilots, even if it's for a wide-area (the entire Class D airspace, up to the UAS Facility Map altitude) and even for an entire year's duration.

I'll tell you how I've filled out the application:

Select Airspace Authorization on Drone Zone.

For your title, just name your operation whatever you want. (for example, "Wide-Area Authorization for XXXX Class D Airspace") You'll fill out your personal details below that, such as your name and phone number.

On the next page enter your proposed start date and end date. The end date can be a year into the future (or more). In my experience the FAA examiner will automatically adjust the dates when they approve you to whatever they are comfortable with.

Timeframe: you can select everything but Night. Flying at night requires a separate Night waiver to be on file, which I don't have.
Frequency: How often do you expect to be flying? Make your best guess there.
Time Zone: self explanatory.
Proposed Location of Operation: Here you can write that you are planning to operate in multiple locations in that airspace area, up to the Facility Map Altitudes. You should add that you will comply with the UAS Facility Map and not fly in any areas that have a 0 altitude posted.

Proposed Maximum Altitude: Here I selected 400 feet.

For latitude and longitude, you pick the GPS coordinates for the center of the airport at the middle of the airspace area you are applying for. You can get the GPS coordinates for an airport off of AirNav.com.

For Radius (this is important): You want to pick "Wide Area".
Nearest airport: the airport associated with that Class D airspace, and for Airspace: Pick Class D

Description of your operation: You can briefly write the purpose of your operations. (aerial photography, roof inspections, etc). I usually add something about maintaining compliance with all Part 107 regulations and again that I will follow the UAS Facility Map as far as altitudes that I will be flying. Also that I won't fly if there is a Temporary Flight restriction in the area, etc.

Existing authorizations/waivers: Unless you've applied in the past, this should be answered No.

After that you can submit your application and wait. Depending on their workload, I've had applications approved in as little as 24 hours recently. After they approve it, you can download an Authorization document that you can print out that shows you have FAA permission to fly in that airspace. None of my authorizations have required that I contact ATC or anything before specific flights, so I'm basically good to go for flying in these areas for the next year. (absent some other flight restriction like a TFR for a football game, etc)

Hope that's helpful.
Could you clarify what you mean when you say "not fly in areas that have zero altitude posted"? If Class D airspace starts at the surface, isn't it all zero altitude?

Could you clarify what you mean when you say "not fly in areas that have zero altitude posted"? If Class D airspace starts at the surface, isn't it all zero altitude?

I'm talking about those sectors of the UAS Facility Map with "0" in them.

Reactions: Thomas B and tcope
I'm talking about those sectors of the UAS Facility Map with "0" in them.
OK, so from within the LAANC grid on the map. But, what if no grid displays on the facility map? Is applying for a waiver in an area like that even possible?

The facility map altitudes have nothing to do with where the actual Class D airspace starts (which is always the surface, like you said) The facility map altitudes are basically the FAA's determination about the safety of UAS flights in certain segments of the controlled airspace, taking into account the distance to the actual airport and landing/approach paths.

Can you tell me what location you are looking at so I can see for myself?

OK, so from within the LAANC grid on the map. But, what if no grid displays on the facility map? Is applying for a waiver in an area like that even possible?

If no grid is on the map then it is most likely not even controlled airspace and you wouldn't need authorization in the first place.

What area are you looking at?

Reactions: tcope
If no grid is on the map then it is most likely not even controlled airspace and you wouldn't need authorization in the first place.

What area are you looking at?
Thanks for the reply! I am looking at the Class D airspace associated with KSVN aka Hunter Army Airfield. I realize being military that there may be exceptions to the rules regarding the chance of getting authorization but MCAS Beaufort (KNBC) which is not too far from me has the grid overlay Here is a screen shot of KSVN & KSAV:

Thanks for the reply! I am looking at the Class D airspace associated with KSVN aka Hunter Army Airfield. I realize being military that there may be exceptions to the rules regarding the chance of getting authorization but MCAS Beaufort (KNBC) which is not too far from me has the grid overlay Here is a screen shot of KSVN & KSAV:

View attachment 78525

That's a weird one. It looks like the FAA never added that specific Class D airspace to the facility map because there aren't even any grid squares overlying that airspace. Since that's military airspace you likely aren't going to get a blanket waiver but will have to discuss the specific operation and location and maybe they'll approve something, but I wouldn't keep your hopes up.

@ Dawgpilot
In Post #6 you state
Note: This information is for Part 107 pilots only. According to the FAA, recreational operators can not apply for authorizations or waivers via DroneZone at this time.
I was on DroneZone (09/02/19) to apply for flight authorization in controlled D airspace as a recreational pilot. They have instructions on how to do so. Right now my application is "submitted" status. Where can I find the info the we can not apply?
Thanks in advance for your reply

Y
@ Dawgpilot
In Post #6 you state
Note: This information is for Part 107 pilots only. According to the FAA, recreational operators can not apply for authorizations or waivers via DroneZone at this time.
I was on DroneZone (09/02/19) to apply for flight authorization in controlled D airspace as a recreational pilot. They have instructions on how to do so. Right now my application is "submitted" status. Where can I find the info the we can not apply?
Thanks in advance for your reply

Edit: looks like the FAA added a recreational pilot authorization section now, my apologies.

Last edited:
@dawgpilot , thanks for your coaching here! I am going through the FAA Dropzone application for recreational flyer authorization, and when I get to the point where I type in closest airport (which is the airport I'm looking to get authorization to fly in it's Class D airspace), I get an error at the box where I chose Wide Area. Says "Blanket Area / Wide Area is not allowed for a LAANC enabled airport." I will see if the application will run through anyway, but am guessing it's going to be a problem. Anybody have a workaround?

@dawgpilot , thanks for your coaching here! I am going through the FAA Dropzone application for recreational flyer authorization, and when I get to the point where I type in closest airport (which is the airport I'm looking to get authorization to fly in it's Class D airspace), I get an error at the box where I chose Wide Area. Says "Blanket Area / Wide Area is not allowed for a LAANC enabled airport." I will see if the application will run through anyway, but am guessing it's going to be a problem. Anybody have a workaround?

It seems to be saying that airport already has LAANC available so you can just use the LAANC app when you want to fly there and don't need use the DroneZone process. What Class D airport were you seeking an authorization for?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure