DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alas "No drones allowed"

Roy

Reactions
21f70b38a56690d0c945c846f9993e10.jpg

Reactions: raymo
Very similar here in the States. Drones are not allowed on National Parks and some State Parks

Welcome to the club. Enjoy the little bit of freedom that we have left because we are faced with more and more restrictions each day that goes by. I predict in 5-10 years we will be regulated to RC parks.

You can thank all of the idiots that have done stupid things ahead of you for many of the restrictions.

Welcome to the club. Enjoy the little bit of freedom that we have left because we are faced with more and more restrictions each day that goes by. I predict in 5-10 years we will be regulated to RC parks.

You can thank all of the idiots that have done stupid things ahead of you for many of the restrictions.
Wrong.

You can thank the idiots who are creating these restrictions.

"Stupid things" are inevitable to some extent, they will ALWAYS happen and they do NOT justify these kinds of restrictions.

Isn't it the uninformed/misinformed idiots making the repressive rules and laws that are responsible?
Isn't it the media that inflame and sensationalise everything related to consumer drones that are responsible?
Y'know these things are not as dangerous as the media and politicians are making them out to be but fanning the flames with comments about irresponsible operators doesn't help the cause.

Um. I actually saw this sign, or one like it, in person a few weeks ago in Iceland. It is in a national park where thousands of tourists go to see the most powerful waterfall in Europe.

Not allowing flying in a national park at a feature being swarmed by hordes is not exactly unusual. And the sign even tells you how to get permission.

Lots to film by drone in Iceland, there are amazing waterfalls and volcanic activity outside of parks.

Even so, I filmed there just like I do every where. I assume someone will complain if I get in their space.

My flights in Iceland could not completely avoid people, so I employed tactics both out of respect for others and personal defense.

I take off away from people (don't be obvious), approach the shot quickly, execute my shot according to plan and get the hell out.

I plan my flight and my shots to minimize sound or visual contact, both with the drone and with me. I respect your space, minimize my time in the air, and make it difficult to engage me in a conflict.

You won't know I have a drone with me (knapsack). You won't see me unpack or take off. You probably won't see me pass, and if you do I won't be there long before I disappear out of your sight. If somehow you still manage to see me land (because I did maintain visual contact) it will probably be too far away from you to interact with me.

The higher the risk, the less likely I am to even make a second pass, let alone start a second session with a fresh battery.

If the risk is too high, why fly? A one in a lifetime shot doesn't count if you end up losing to drone or initiating an encounter- even if you are "within your rights."

It's like leaving no visible impact when hiking or camping. I know some idiot will ruin it someday, but it isn't going to be me.

You won't know I have a drone with me (knapsack). You won't see me unpack or take off. You probably won't see me pass, and if you do I won't be there long before I disappear out of your sight. If somehow you still manage to see me land (because I did maintain visual contact) it will probably be too far away from you to interact with me.

Drone ninja

Um. I actually saw this sign, or one like it, in person a few weeks ago in Iceland. It is in a national park where thousands of tourists go to see the most powerful waterfall in Europe.

Not allowing flying in a national park at a feature being swarmed by hordes is not exactly unusual. And the sign even tells you how to get permission.

Lots to film by drone in Iceland, there are amazing waterfalls and volcanic activity outside of parks.

Even so, I filmed there just like I do every where. I assume someone will complain if I get in their space.

My flights in Iceland could not completely avoid people, so I employed tactics both out of respect for others and personal defense.

I take off away from people (don't be obvious), approach the shot quickly, execute my shot according to plan and get the **** out.

I plan my flight and my shots to minimize sound or visual contact, both with the drone and with me. I respect your space, minimize my time in the air, and make it difficult to engage me in a conflict.

The higher the risk, the less likely I am to even make a second pass, let alone start a second session with a fresh battery.

If the risk is too high, why fly? A one in a lifetime shot doesn't count if you end up losing to drone or initiating an encounter- even if you are "within your rights."

It's like leaving no visible impact when hiking or camping. I know some idiot will ruin it someday, but it isn't going to be me.

I also just got back from Iceland and I am completely with you. I probably had 30 flights but never launched near people, never flew too low (or too high) and always took my footage quickly and headed back. I was disappointed to see so many " no drone" signs but found many opportunities to fly that would not bother anyone.

Reactions: Rbruz and BigEegit
The laws need to catch up with technology. It will happen eventually , but we do have to go through growing pains.

Reactions: BigEegit
Isn't it the uninformed/misinformed idiots making the repressive rules and laws that are responsible?
Isn't it the media that inflame and sensationalise everything related to consumer drones that are responsible?
Y'know these things are not as dangerous as the media and politicians are making them out to be but fanning the flames with comments about irresponsible operators doesn't help the cause.

Thanks. Now I don't feel the need to post this, pretty much word for word.

Thats the problem, technology has improved to the point its easy and cheap enough for anyone to buy off the shelf. No screen, no high cost deterrent restricting to people that REALLY want them.
The result is plenty of idiots buying them, using them like a toy and causing problems for others. Ultimately this results in the restrictions we're seeing - the drone community isnt grown up enough to look after itself as a whole.

Lets face it, drones ARE noisy, they do annoy other people around and we should be taking steps not to disturb them too much with it (by not flying too close, too low and so on). Sadly not everyone flies responsibly.

(Then theres the National Trust in the UK who just ban them as a money making scam and nothing more than that).

The opposite is happening in Michigan. Our state has drone preemption that prevents local municipalities from enacting or enforcing any drone regulations.

You can fly pretty much anywhere the FAA allows in Michigan. Including all state and local parks.

They did make some unique laws that if you are a sex offender or have a restraining order you are not allowed to fly a drone somewhere you are not allowed to be.

I take off away from people (don't be obvious), approach the shot quickly, execute my shot according to plan and get the **** out.

lol... I like your tactics. I usually check out the area really well before flying if I know it's a location frequented by people. I know what I want to shoot. I drive close enough to be very discreet, and often take off from the top of my car, I have a glass roof on an MPV. I fly in, do my thing, fly off on a different direction and round back to land on my car roof, stick out my hand and take in the drone, rarely does anybody have a clue where the drone came from or went. The reason I sometimes do this is because I've started to get challenges from people about privacy issues etc. They usually only want to see their point of view, I do not need the grief, so out of sight, out of mind. I have had some positive interaction though, if for example a parent with young kids seem positively interested I will always ask them if they want to see what I see, when I show it to them they are amazed, so this is the cool bit.

I, too just got back from a wonderful week in Iceland. I obeyed all the "No Drone" signs and still found plenty to photograph. In fact, I found the signs to be very useful: if I did not see one I assumed it was legal. I still avoided places/times of day that were crowded. I had one person approach me while I was preparing to fly. I explained what I was doing, that I respected privacy and laws, and left the person wishing me well.

Reactions: DaveWilson
I do much the same thing and try to time my flights with minimal people around, even for popular locations. Early morning or just at dinner time in the evenings seem to work best. I've only been approached once by a police office who was more curious about the Mavic than me being there. When there are crowds I will launch / recover away from them also the Mavic is pretty stealthy if your not (and some times when you are) looking for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13