DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alaska Highway road trip

Good job....I'm looking to doing the Alaska Highway trip soon. What month did you do this?
This was an August drive headed north. I've done 2 southbound and one northbound trip. Most recent was in May of 2019 and the August trips are much more scenic. Green up hadn't happened yet in May, Muncho Lake was still frozen over but the road construction hadn't started up yet.
I'd recommend a late summer drive but be advised there are a lot of animals on and near the road and traveling at night is a risky endeavor

This was an August drive headed north. I've done 2 southbound and one northbound trip. Most recent was in May of 2019 and the August trips are much more scenic. Green up hadn't happened yet in May, Muncho Lake was still frozen over but the road construction hadn't started up yet.
I'd recommend a late summer drive but be advised there are a lot of animals on and near the road and traveling at night is a risky endeavor
My last time in Alaska was in July and I had the best weather on that trip as all others to that great state were cold, rainy, and windy. Never been there with a drone as I am a nooby with drones.....Looking forward to that trip. Will probably plan for late July or early August. Thanks for your input.

Reactions: Capt KO
My last time in Alaska was in July and I had the best weather on that trip as all others to that great state were cold, rainy, and windy. Never been there with a drone as I am a nooby with drones.....Looking forward to that trip. Will probably plan for late July or early August. Thanks for your input.
A July trip would be ideal. Cold windy and rainy? Imagine that huh. I've spent 31 in Ak and am getting a bit tired of those three weather patterns but it's a wonderful place on earth.
Enjoy the pending road trip.

It's way longer than an average video but the Ak Highway is a long drive
Just plain too long. Sequences of the canyons and fields dwell too long. Each scene could be 3-4 seconds. I was hoping for more sharpness or contrast with color grading, but it didn't happen. Several attempts at a "reveal" but they never matured such as creeping out of the canyon at the beginning. Try to shorten each of the clips to the absolute best footage, even if you have to break ups a scene into good and bad fragments. As filmmakers, even the best of us fall in love with our footage and can't pull away. Same for Hollywood and foreign film makers where it seems as thought they want us to watch the grass grow.

Reactions: j.r.r.
Just plain too long. Sequences of the canyons and fields dwell too long. Each scene could be 3-4 seconds. I was hoping for more sharpness or contrast with color grading, but it didn't happen. Several attempts at a "reveal" but they never matured such as creeping out of the canyon at the beginning. Try to shorten each of the clips to the absolute best footage, even if you have to break ups a scene into good and bad fragments. As filmmakers, even the best of us fall in love with our footage and can't pull away. Same for Hollywood and foreign film makers where it seems as thought they want us to watch the grass grow.
Roger that Mr. Spielberg I’ll take your advice to heart and work on my editing.
You can hope all you want for more color grading or reveals but I’m just a dude with a drone flying around in circles hoping I don’t crash.

It's way longer than an average video but the Ak Highway is a long drive
I went with my brother when I was 14 and got a job. 1200 miles of gravel and dust if I remember. In those days your parents would just say have fun. Your video brings back memories but I don't see the dust. LOL.

Magical place!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15