DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alaskan cruise question

Jebatty

Reactions
Taking my Mavic Pro with me on a cruise to Alaska Curious to know if any pilots have had experience with this trip and can point out any pitfalls to watch out for Thx James B

You will need to check with the cruise line (website/contact booking agent) if you have not already to determine if they will even let you board the ship with a Mavic. Many cruise lines have strict policies against them.

If you try and sneak it on and then pop it out to fly from the vessel you could get yourself in a pickle. Find out about bringing it aboard with the intention of only flying from the ports that you dock in.

Then research each of the ports that the cruise ship is intending to dock at. Those will be the places that you want to determine if they are

A: Within a Restricted Area of flight
B: Have specific restrictions on flight imposed by the local authorities

I have flown in areas surrounding Anchorage Alaska , but not while taking a cruise so please let us know what you find out.

IF your lucky, you might be able to bring it on board, however checked. And when you get to a port, you might be able to "check it out" for use on land. Then you have to check it in when you get on board the ship again...

My 2 cents....:"Don't get off the boat".....

There are so many airports in and around the major cities that you would visit, i.e., Juneau, Seward, etc. Check AirMap around any of the cities that you are cruising too and unless you are leaving the area, you will probably be within 5 miles of an airport or heliport.

Reactions: Mossiback
@Fuzzman18 beat me to it. The "cities" in Alaska that cruise ships visit are pretty small so not only will an airstrip likely be within 5 miles but there are also float planes that come and go.

@Fuzzman18 beat me to it. The "cities" in Alaska that cruise ships visit are pretty small so not only will an airstrip likely be within 5 miles but there are also float planes that come and go.

Floatplanes would be one of my biggest concerns. There are an incredible amount of pilots flying float planes around Alaska. Hood Lake in Anchorage has up to 800 flights in and out on a busy summer day. I’ve flown a drone in Alaska (I spend time up there every summer) and always stayed low (under 200 feet) and even at that I was on constant lookout and on edge.

Regardless, be careful, there is so great scenery in the 49th state!

We are cruising with Princess

From another thread:

Princess Cruise Line is very hard line about Drones on board. I called and talked to
some main people at the top. And, was told no, because drone owners do not respect
other people and property. So, if you disregard their regulations you are not setting a good example representing the rest of us. Royal Caribbean accepts drones on board, just don't cruse on Princess any more.

Tello on a cruise ship??

Princess cruise lines said "NO DRONES" Party pooper Oh well guess I will have to rely on a regular camera for pictures

I am visiting Alaska on a cruise ship next year - this is what the cruise line has said to me;

Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV), commonly known as Drones are not permitted onboard Silversea vessels regardless if to be used only for recreational purposes or video/image recording.

**Hand luggage search is also performed by the Security team at the gangway, any item brought on board that is determined as restricted or prohibited will be immediately confiscated.**

As a keen photographer - this is rubbish.

Having been on a few cruises recently on cruise lines where I was told my drone was prohibited...

I brought it anyway. Packed it in my camera bag and removed the propellers like I always do. I only used it in port and as always used my best judgment.

When I was done I simply put it back in my camera bag.

Just use your head and best judgment. Don’t be the “look at me I have a drone guy“. Pack it in a discreet case. I used a camera bag the mavic fits great in an empty lens compartment. Scout your possible flight locations on google maps and don’t draw attention to yourself.

If they do find it you just have to check it in and out with the security office on the ship when you are in port.

What they don't want is you flying it off and around the decks of the ship. I would say who would be so stupid, but there is someone out there I'm sure.

My advice is bring it anyway.

Attachments

• 7DA87C43-109C-4033-9514-A9D332A59BBE.jpeg
    7DA87C43-109C-4033-9514-A9D332A59BBE.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Reactions: FASTFJR
Viking allowed me to bring it on board but flying on the ship was prohibited. This was 4 years ago

Having been on a few cruises recently on cruise lines where I was told my drone was prohibited...

I brought it anyway. Packed it in my camera bag and removed the propellers like I always do. I only used it in port and as always used my best judgment.

When I was done I simply put it back in my camera bag.

Just use your head and best judgment. Don’t be the “look at me I have a drone guy“. Pack it in a discreet case. I used a camera bag the mavic fits great in an empty lens compartment. Scout your possible flight locations on google maps and don’t draw attention to yourself.

If they do find it you just have to check it in and out with the security office on the ship when you are in port.

Exactly what I've done on 4 cruises!!!

Anyone doing a typical Alaska 7 day cruise out of Seattle don't bother bringing your drone. The area your in is one big National Park. Each port has lots of little planes and helicopters flying around

I am going on a Costa cruise around SE Asia soon. Costa say no drones allowed on board. I would like to take my Mavic, not for use during the cruise but we will be staying on in Thailand where i have previously flown. Does anyone know if Costa will hold my Mavic during the cruise and return it at the end
I have tried asking Costa but got no clear answer.

I am going on a Costa cruise around SE Asia soon. Costa say no drones allowed on board. I would like to take my Mavic, not for use during the cruise but we will be staying on in Thailand where i have previously flown. Does anyone know if Costa will hold my Mavic during the cruise and return it at the end
I have tried asking Costa but got no clear answer.

Just bring it. If and if they find it in your bag they will ask to keep it in the security office. Like I said in a previous post Ive been on several cruises lately and haven’t had it taken from me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure