DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alientech Pro 5.8

Does anybody know how to disassemble the Pro 5 8ghz Alientech? I need to change the female QMA connector . Please help
I’ve opened a couple of Alientech 5.8 boosters, most recently had to replace both amplifiers as both had fried.

Here are a few pictures, but remember I had to gut out the entire booster assembly and rebuild from scratch so what you’re seeing here are a different set of amplifiers, and totally rewired completely different from original. Plus, I must have the worse luck as even my second Alientech 5.8 booster is defective.

First, Remove both batteries. Then pop off the front plastic portion covering the antennas, then pop off the mid plastic assembly. From here, remove both the two mini outer black screws, one on each side of outer antennas. These two outer screws is what keeps the main metal bracket holding upper antennas, the backside of this metal bracket houses the amplifiers.

From here, once disassembled remove the defective QMA connector each held with two screws and a solder joint.

If you need additional pictures, very soon I’m going to rebuild another defective Alientech 5.8 booster and will take step by step pictures.

My original Alientech 5.8, burned out two amplifiers. So I gutted the unit, replaced both amplifiers with another set of 5.8 amplifiers and had to resolder in different connections. All worked well, even added a battery LED volt meter. Also, added in a push button switch. I may change that to a rocker type switch in near future.

Good luck, and these pictures should get you going.

Paul

3A483716-642B-4BA2-A810-54F0DC783CEC.jpegBB68CF24-708B-4BE5-B244-AAC58D2518A6.jpeg759919EE-083A-41DA-8328-9E673CF64B86.jpeg9DDAF9E3-22C0-4D85-AFA0-8CE737A41724.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jam0ne
Thank you so much for your help. In your answer to the post, you stated "
Then pop off the front plastic portion covering the antennas, then pop off the mid plastic assembly. From here, remove both the two mini outer black screws, one on each side of the outer antennas. These two outer screws is what keep the main metal bracket holding upper antennas, the backside of this metal bracket houses the amplifiers." In the paragraph " how do you pop-off the mid plastic assembly" are there any screws that secure the front plastic portion of the covering the antennae? I hope if you can upload a picture of it. In reference to two mini outer black screws are they located inside the housing? First I would like to know how you remove the cover? I wish you have pictures of every step so that can help me to disassemble the unit. Thank you again.

Then pop off the front plastic portion covering the antennas, then pop off the mid plastic assembly. From here, remove both the two mini outer black screws, one on each side of the outer antennas. These two outer screws is what keep the main metal bracket holding upper antennas, the backside of this metal bracket houses the amplifiers." In the paragraph " how do you pop-off the mid plastic assembly" are there any screws that secure the front plastic portion of the covering the antennae? I hope if you can upload a picture of it. In reference to two mini outer black screws are they located inside the housing? First I would like to know how you remove the cover? I wish you have pictures of every step so that can help me to disassemble the unit. Thank you again.
You’re welcome, okay I’ll post additional pictures of the breakdown tonight if all goes well.

I’ll breakdown the second defective Alientech 5.8 booster, pictures of each step.

👍

Here you go, start from bottom corner then work around downward. Eventually, middle section will snap off. First remove both batteries, take your time disassembling booster. You’re going to cause some slight scratches from prying apart, which is why to start from bottom to hide the minor nicks.

Then, remove both side T-6 Torx screws to remove antenna assembly plate. These two screws may be regular screws, I’m seeing two different types from two same like Alientech 5.8 boosters.

Once center plastic section is off, slowly pry apart the antenna plate from back plastic assembly. From here, replace damaged or defective QMA connector.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Paul

68D44A5B-D81A-46C2-895C-0B9DA1738EDF.jpegDCAA838B-F9F5-4DA0-A4C1-3559A14F4EB9.jpeg417234A6-4075-4245-AD10-AB9D435A0DC6.jpeg12C35B71-D07C-4AF3-BB45-6CCBE9711835.jpeg1B013705-ADC6-4516-AC9D-E7ECDF5C367A.jpeg

Thank you so much . You must be really smart to install new amplifiers . If you do not mind where can you purchased the amplifier that match the alientech antennae? Did you successfully fix or repair defective antenae? I know those guys that worked at Alientech only wanted you to buy new one so they can make money out if you. The Pro is made of cheap materials . They sing cheap solder or lead so solder joints where very weak. They are out to make profits . Well thank you again . Let me know if your defective antennae is successfully working after replaced both amplifiers.i will looking forward to see the results.

After remove or disassemble the antennae. I do not know where can I get a hold of the female QMA and what it call. I search on Google but negative result . Please advise

Thank you so much . You must be really smart to install new amplifiers . If you do not mind where can you purchased the amplifier that match the alientech antennae? Did you successfully fix or repair defective antenae? I know those guys that worked at Alientech only wanted you to buy new one so they can make money out if you. The Pro is made of cheap materials . They sing cheap solder or lead so solder joints where very weak. They are out to make profits . Well thank you again . Let me know if your defective antennae is successfully working after replaced both amplifiers.i will looking forward to see the results.
Thank you, honestly I’m not that smart. Was fortunate to start with electronics when I was a kid, from there read books and built kits from books moving on to larger projects.

I’m not sure who sells QMA connector such as this particular one you’re needing. Personally, I would replace it with something similar and replace the cable end that connects from outside with a matching opposite connector.

Or, post on the classifies searching for a bad Alientech booster. Use this bad Alientech booster for parts, maybe someone has one and will let it go for postage only.

In regards to my recent Alientech 5.8 project, fortunately had two mini 5.8 GHz mini boosters on hand from another project, With some fabrication was able to make these two mini boosters work as replacements.

With the recent defective Alientech 5.8 booster, I’m going to replace the defective amplifiers with two mini 2.4 GHz type and replace antennas to 2.4 GHz as well. Going forward, it’ll be a 2.4 GHz booster. Have many spare 2.4 GHz amplifiers, too many actually.

Enjoy the hobby, very adventurous sport both building, repairing and flying 😊

Paul

49A97F37-73F6-430F-8F73-21C37308A089.jpeg

Last edited:
Does anybody in the forum know what type of Right Angle QMA connector for this Alientech Pro 5.8ghz.

Attachments

• IMG_2022_05_09_08_15_49.png
    IMG_2022_05_09_08_15_49.png
    777.7 KB · Views: 1
Is this the connector you need? Circled in yellow.

If you can’t find one, you can always solder the antennas cable directly to the booster antenna leads. Actually, only one wire needs to be soldered, the ground wire can be held on underneath the two screws mount.

Keep us posted

9F6F32F4-C4F7-4F51-9BD6-E36D531FE6F0.jpeg

Actually , the female connector on the board is fine . Only need the part of the connector on the picture so I can redo the wire.

Attachments

• IMG_2022_05_09_08_15_49.png
    IMG_2022_05_09_08_15_49.png
    777.7 KB · Views: 1
Okay,I see now.

Going to send you a link in a private message, go here he has the cable connectors you need. Order a new set, he’ll fix you up with what you need.

Thank you so much for ypur help . Can you send me a link through the forum. I am not familiar with private message how it work. I really appreciate it

Wow guys. This was fascinating reading. You had conflict, a character arc (when Waldo went from tech geek to zen master of boosted antennas), tension, villains, relevance and blend of genre's. The I am ready for the sequel, if one is needed for resolution!

Seriously though, and not to hijack the thread (will gladly start a fresh thread, I just wanted to link to the right people.

Bought an AlenTech Duo 2 with adapters for Autel Smart Controller. It's a good antenna and works as designed, with a few issues.
1.) 5.8ghz is much less boosted than 2.4ghz. Is this typical?
2.)The weak link is the adapters design - a link that is weak.
SmartSelect_20220613-101216_Chrome.jpg as you can see, the QMA connectors have a small threaded section. After pushing them on to the antenna's matching connections, you have knurled thumbwheels that spin out to lock the two together.
The setup is a bit wobbly and I can only get it "sort of" secure feeling.

I want to get either a pre-modified RC-N1 to use with the Duo II since I have a Mavic 3, and Air 2 and a Mini 3 Pro on the way. Will be great to get use across 4 different drones. I doubt it's worth modifying or getting an Autel standard controller, but even though Video signal is 5 bars the Autel Smart Controller gers pixelated and blotches out way too often and at ranges where the controller connection in still strong. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions hugely appreciated!

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Wow guys. This was fascinating reading. You had conflict, a character arc (when Waldo went from tech geek to zen master of boosted antennas), tension, villains, relevance and blend of genre's. The I am ready for the sequel, if one is needed for resolution!

Seriously though, and not to hijack the thread (will gladly start a fresh thread, I just wanted to link to the right people.

Bought an AlenTech Duo 2 with adapters for Autel Smart Controller. It's a good antenna and works as designed, with a few issues.
1.) 5.8ghz is much less boosted than 2.4ghz. Is this typical?
2.)The weak link is the adapters design - a link that is weak.
View attachment 150039 as you can see, the QMA connectors have a small threaded section. After pushing them on to the antenna's matching connections, you have knurled thumbwheels that spin out to lock the two together.
The setup is a bit wobbly and I can only get it "sort of" secure feeling.

I want to get either a pre-modified RC-N1 to use with the Duo II since I have a Mavic 3, and Air 2 and a Mini 3 Pro on the way. Will be great to get use across 4 different drones. I doubt it's worth modifying or getting an Autel standard controller, but even though Video signal is 5 bars the Autel Smart Controller gers pixelated and blotches out way too often and at ranges where the controller connection in still strong. Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions hugely appreciated!
Hello BlairAir,

I'll add what little I know and what I have experienced, and my solution that works for my Smart controller with the special QMA connectors for Alientech booster. Can't comment on the Duo 2 boosters 5.8ghz signal strength compared to 2.4ghz, I'm using a regular Alientech 2.4ghz amplifier.

With the. QMA connectors, yes I encountered some loose wobbly lack with QMA connectors when fully tightened.

You'll need to remove one or two washers keeping the remaining locking nut, Can't remember how many washers each side had but do remember removing at least one washer. Even if you removed all washers leaving the tightening nut that's okay too.

That's the only way to get these QMA connectors to tighten snug. I had to use needle nose pliers to remove the threaded nut.

Hope this helps, I'm sure you've already figured something out but just in case here's show I did solved the wobbly slack issue.

Good luck, enjoy the Alientech booster 🙂

Paul

IMG_20220613_123919~5.jpg

Thanks! Actually your right, there is some play there thats not optimal. I was referring to the other side where the QMA snaps into the antenna connectors. The wheels in an animation I saw start fully tightened to the antenna bracket QMA connections (been hunting for an hour now, can't find it.)

They show the qma adapters (from a standard controller) pop in, then the wheels spin out, onto the adapters to lock them from popping out. But they still wiggle and I'm a perfectionist. I also don't want to keep messing with them as that can only make it worse.

I'll include a few pics

1. The two connections I'm not sure about
20220613_173900.jpg

2. How AlienTech shows it:
20220613_174038.jpg

How previous owner had it:
20220613_174030.jpg

The small amount of threading on adapter:
SmartSelect_20220613-101216_Chrome.jpg
So when I tighten the thumbwheels fully out onto adapters, the do seem to lock but both adapters swing back and forth. I can spin and lock in a way that one will be tight as in not able to swing, but I can't make both tight that way.

When you removed washers on the plated connectors on the controller did it slow the adapters to really tighten where there they don't swing? I'm fairly sure I have a decent inner connection, I am just not fond of the movement of the adspters.

Lastly, I know your single/2.4 band, and I get better range and performance in 2.4 (as I would expect) but still get a lot of video pixelation, even with 5 bars of video signal. I think I'll put a video of it here later for your opinion. Range is all I expected, but I'm trying to determine if I need this controller to be looked at under warranty.

Thanks for your feedback and experience- you and I chatted about this last year and I grabbed this Duo 2 off the classified here. The Antenna works great, I am just making sure I am getting the best out of it!

-John B.

Attachments

• 20220613_174030.jpg
    20220613_174030.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220613_174030.jpg
    20220613_174030.jpg
    906.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220613_174038.jpg
    20220613_174038.jpg
    836.8 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Waldo Pepper
You are welcome, these Alientech boosters can be challenging at times. I've owned three, each was different connection wise. Looks like my latest version is similar to yours, connections are the same. No. 2 picture of yours, is correct.

I think the excessive slack you are experiencing is coming from the upper black plastic portion? I've included a second pic with yellow arrows pointing to the two areas, look here and see if these are mounted correctly. Otherwise, some slack from this area is common and to reduce this slack you need to tighten the QMA connections on the controller side getting them snug as possible. Once they are very snug, shouldn't experience that much slack may even completely eliminate it.

That's was my reasoning for removing those washers, needed that extra tightness to eliminate the slack from both upper connection sides on booster as well as the slack from the controller side.

Autel Smart controller is very powerful even as stock actually even stronger signal over my Magic 2, coupled with the Alientech Autel Smart controller is incredibly powerful.

I'm still in the learning stages, So much to learn enjoy the hobby only been flying drones about three years.

Hope all works out for you, some slack is okay but to completely eliminate it or most of it tighten it at the controller side. I feel you to remove those washers to get that super tight grip on the Smart controller side,. Give it a try.

Enjoy your Autel Evo 2, it deserves more credit than it's getting 🙂

Paul

IMG_20220613_180305~3.jpg

IMG_20220613_180305~2.jpg

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AviewFromAbove_