DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ALL MAVIC 2 ZOOM FEATURES IN ONE VIDEO!!!

roflyer

Reactions
Traveling by car through the southeastern United States, we went through 4 states. Adventurous travel, with manatee diving on Crystal River and Key Largo wrecks, nightlife in New Orleans, and trails on Ormond Beach .... enjoy all this, with many breathtaking underwater and aerial images !!

I took advantage of most of the Mavic 2 Zoom features: intelligent flight modes and zoom capabilities. This bird is an awesome piece of technology!!! I'm glad I chose the Zoom!!

Enjoy!!!

You might want to consider 2160 quality instead of 1080 p as it would look a lot better and cleaner on a wide screen or 30 inch monitor. Great shots.

Reactions: roflyer and Twocalf
You might want to consider 2160 quality instead of 1080 p as it would look a lot better and cleaner on a wide screen or 30 inch monitor. Great shots.
Thanks for the feedback buddy. I chose this resolution because some of some of the intelligent flight modes resolution output are only availabel in 1080. But I'll certainly make a version with a better resolution footage.
Please consider subscribbing if you like my content. :)

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Nice Vid.

Reactions: roflyer
Traveling by car through the southeastern United States, we went through 4 states. Adventurous travel, with manatee diving on Crystal River and Key Largo wrecks, nightlife in New Orleans, and trails on Ormond Beach .... enjoy all this, with many breathtaking underwater and aerial images !!

I took advantage of most of the Mavic 2 Zoom features: intelligent flight modes and zoom capabilities. This bird is an awesome piece of technology!!! I'm glad I chose the Zoom!!

Enjoy!!!

Very nice images! Thanks for posting this.

Really nice work! And clearly some excellent video editing as well, not just shooting. Very smooth tying together of different video sources and beat matching. I just started working through my Premiere Pro tutorials to try to learn this aspect of the game. Any advice welcomed!

And a question -- the zooming boats around 2:37....is that a hyperlapse? I haven't played with that yet on my M2P. Love it either way!

And the sounds.....were they real sounds recorded on site? Or sounds you recorded or downloaded elsewhere? (boat motors, for example....and bird calls)

You must have a very patient wife. Great job with the intelligent flight modes.

I wonder when DJI is gonna make a submersible drone?!

Enjoy!!!
Very cool.

Really nice work! And clearly some excellent video editing as well, not just shooting. Very smooth tying together of different video sources and beat matching. I just started working through my Premiere Pro tutorials to try to learn this aspect of the game. Any advice welcomed!

And a question -- the zooming boats around 2:37....is that a hyperlapse? I haven't played with that yet on my M2P. Love it either way!

And the sounds.....were they real sounds recorded on site? Or sounds you recorded or downloaded elsewhere? (boat motors, for example....and bird calls)
Hello MT_Brian!!

Thanks for taking time to watch my video, I'm glad you liked. Please consider subscribbing to my channel for similar content.

As for your questions, yes the zooming boats clip was made with the hyperlapse (waypoint mode) intelligent flight mode. I had to made a few tries before nailing it...

About the sounds, I used the sound fx library that came with Final Cut Pro X which is the sofware I use to edit my videos. In my opinion FCPX is much easier to work than Adobe Premiere, if you have a Mac.

If I can give one advice for novice video editors: when you start to edit, is quite usual that you want to put a lot of effects, titles and transitions on your video. This may seem cool, but lets your video a little amateur. Try to make things simple, focusing on your footage and not the software features. Your criativity and sensitivity is the key for a nice video. Cut your scenes to the beat of the music and it will make it more fun to watch.

Happy flying!!!

You must have a very patient wife. Great job with the intelligent flight modes.

I wonder when DJI is gonna make a submersible drone?!
LOL :) Why do you say that??? hahaha
In fact she isn't too much patient and she is glad that she can do something else while I fly my drone. When I make the scenes where she is the subject I have to nail on the first take, otherwise I get a frown face....

Nice one!

I chose this resolution because some of some of the intelligent flight modes resolution output are only availabel in 1080. But I'll certainly make a version with a better resolution footage.
I don't think people fully understand that many of the fancy M2Z features like Dolly Zoom only create 1080p output, despite the 4K camera. In order to shoot Dolly Zoom in a higher resolution, you would have to create the effect manually with steadily increasing zoom while steadily flying backwards in 4K or 2.7K, or just create it in post, from the appropriate 4K footage as described in this tutorial, which could even be used on the M2P to create a dolly zoom!

Last edited:
I don't think people fully understand that many of the fancy M2Z features like Dolly Zoom only create 1080p output, despite the 4K camera. In order to shoot Dolly Zoom in a higher resolution, you would have to create the effect manually with steadily increasing zoom while steadily flying backwards in 4K or 2.7K, or just create it in post, from the appropriate 4K footage as described in this tutorial, which could even be used on the M2P to create a dolly zoom!
That was not my case specifically saying about the lighthouse dolly zoom scene. I made it manually, flying the drone backwards and increasing the optical zoom while shooting in 4k. I didn't use the intelligent flight mode for this scene. This way I made the effect on camera with no need of post production and keeping the 4k resolution. For this video I rendered the whole project in 1080p because some of the other intelligent flight mode footage output in 1080p.

In MP2 is you use the method described in the video you sent, the output resolution achieved in post production will always be lower than 4k, a clear disadvantage to the M2Z, which you can make the effect in camera manually (not hard to master it) shooting in 4k.

Even with the 4k resolution, with the M2P you can make the effect only to a certain point, because if you go too far your final product will lose quality even if rendered in 1080p. The "fancy M2Z Dolly Zoom" uses the combination effect of the optical zoom, 4k footage, and software processeing described on the video you sent making it more appealing and intense.

Last edited:
Very good video! Good flying skill! Well done mate! Keep up the good work

That was not my case specifically saying about the lighthouse dolly zoom scene. I made it manually, flying the drone backwards and increasing the optical zoom while shooting in 4k. I didn't use the intelligent flight mode for this scene. This way I made the effect on camera with no need of post production and keeping the 4k resolution. For this video I rendered the whole project in 1080p because some of the other intelligent flight mode footage output in 1080p.

In MP2 is you use the method described in the video you sent, the output resolution achieved in post production will always be lower than 4k, a clear disadvantage to the M2Z, which you can make the effect in camera manually (not hard to master it) shooting in 4k.

Even with the 4k resolution, with the M2P you can make the effect only to a certain point, because if you go too far your final product will lose quality even if rendered in 1080p. The "fancy M2Z Dolly Zoom" uses the combination effect of the optical zoom, 4k footage, and software processeing described on the video you sent making it more appealing and intense.
My bad for assuming the 1080p video was because you also used the Intelligent Flight Mode Dolly Zoom. I was trying to defend your choice of 1080p. Good on you for doing the Dolly Zoom manually in 4K! Unfortunately, I couldn't tell in the 1080p compilation. However, several of the other included ones do output in 1080p (which most don't realize) , which was my main point, and the automated Dolly Zoom is also only in 1080p.

If I understood the Drone Film Guide video correctly, as long as the key frame zoom is less than 200% (he used 160%), it still supports 1080p output from 4K on any drone, including the M2P, without any resolution loss. Is that your understanding as well?

From my understanding of DJI's description of their automated Dolly Zoom process, it flies back 4x the initial starting distance from the subject, while zooming from 1x to 4x while in 1080p. However, you were suggesting it was actually shooting in 4K. In 4K, the zoom is limited to 2x, while in 1080p, it is 4x. Since they are flying back 4x, they need to zoom 4x to keep the foreground subject the same size. Your thoughts?

DJI: How to Use Dolly Zoom

My bad for assuming the 1080p video was because you also used the Intelligent Flight Mode Dolly Zoom. I was trying to defend your choice of 1080p. Good on you for doing the Dolly Zoom manually in 4K! Unfortunately, I couldn't tell in the 1080p compilation. However, several of the other included ones do output in 1080p (which most don't realize) , which was my main point, and the automated Dolly Zoom is also only in 1080p.

If I understood the Drone Film Guide video correctly, as long as the key frame zoom is less than 200% (he used 160%), it still supports 1080p output from 4K on any drone, including the M2P, without any resolution loss. Is that your understanding as well?

From my understanding of DJI's description of their automated Dolly Zoom process, it flies back 4x the initial starting distance from the subject, while zooming from 1x to 4x while in 1080p. However, you were suggesting it was actually shooting in 4K. In 4K, the zoom is limited to 2x, while in 1080p, it is 4x. Since they are flying back 4x, they need to zoom 4x to keep the foreground subject the same size. Your thoughts?

DJI: How to Use Dolly Zoom

I agree with you. But that depends on the lenght and intensity of the "vertigo effect" you desire to put on your video... With a M2Z You can zoom (optically) 2x in 4K only, and keep everything in 4K if the result you want is achieved. Something you can't do with M2P.

For the other intelligent flight mode I'm aware the final footage will be 1080 (for most of them, not all).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones