DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alligator in Everglades miami

o_0 Imagine having a crash and have to recovery it in the alligator nest , scary

Shot in Miami Everglades in June on mavic pro hand take of and landing from airboat hope you enjoy what i have.

Heck yeah, that is what I am talking about! More videos of alligators and crocodiles needed here.

Reactions: taz
Be careful. You just flew in a place that you aren't supposed too. Then you put up the video with your name and picture in it.

Hi Skippy905
Why do you say that "in a place that you aren't supposed too" , I'm new here , Just curious

If I am not mistaken, Everglades is a national park. Drones are not allowed to take off and land in a national park (I think technically you can do a flyover).
So it's actually illegal to start your flight from within a National Park.
However, I'm not from the USA, so maybe someone from Florida area could weigh in on this to be certain.

If I am not mistaken, Everglades is a national park. Drones are not allowed to take off and land in a national park (I think technically you can do a flyover).
So it's actually illegal to start your flight from within a National Park.
However, I'm not from the USA, so maybe someone from Florida area could weigh in on this to be certain.

I'm from Miami, Florida

this specific video was outside the national park :

Airboat Rides
Most of the nearly 2400 square miles of Everglades National Park is managed as a wilderness area and Airboats are prohibited in these parts of the park.

There is a section in the northern area of the park that was added as park land in 1989 and private airboat operators currently offer tours in this area.

These operators are located off of U S 41/Tamiami Trail between Naples and Miami. There are several airboat operations that offer tours in non-park lands, also along U S 41/Tamiami Trail.

Airboat Rides - Everglades National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

I never intended to fly there and special not takin of and land on an airboat (never done anything remotely close to it )

But the tour guide just stopped the airboat and asked me if I like to try flying my drone so just went for it [emoji12]

It was noontime and the glare on my screen was terrible didn’t see anything
Fu**** it I thought i will just fly blind but got some shots done and I’m happy with what I got from it and the experience hope you like it to.

This is also mine and was taken in National Park in US i did not know about National Park’s then and got caught!

But the park ranger was very understanding and let me off with a warning [emoji615]️ and practically gave me a go my video on YouTube [emoji6]

The damage is done i got my lessons but it’s a crime letting the beauty of it suffer.

Am i right or am i over my head on this one. You call [emoji848][emoji16]

This is also mine and was taken in National Park in US i did not know about National Park’s then and got caught!
If you were on a boat, you'd be fine. If you were on land, you'd be in violation. I think it's going to be less and less likely that someone will get off with a warning. Most operators should know by now and a ticket would probably get in the news, in order to educate other people.

Personally, I'd put a BIG warning on the video to let other people know that operating from within a National Park is illegal. Otherwise, they might see the video and think it's okay.

Reactions: radman and taz
Hi @taz - you got some brass mate! Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but YOU CANT FLY YOUR drone over the FL, Everglades b/c it is an American national park! The FL Everglades is the third-largest national park in the contiguous United States after Death Valley and Yellowstone. Sorry but the last time I check with the FAA you're not allowed to fly over ANY National parks or protected reserves. I am very surprised the FAA has paid you a visit OR contacted you.

Please Read below:
There is absolutely NO place in the Everglades where you can legally fly a drone. If you get caught flying in the Everglades National Park you will learn a very, very expensive lesson my friend and that's a fact! If I made that video I would take down as fast as possible and hope to god the FAA has seen it! I just don't get understand SOME people. Also, I KNOW IF YOU don't have a special permit that you are not allowed to fly your drone in Key West, see the link below and a lot of people don't even know this due to being irresponsible and not checking AIRMAP or any other APP.

Last edited:
Hi @taz - you got some brass mate! Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but YOU CANT FLY YOUR drone over the FL, Everglades b/c it is an American national park! The FL Everglades is the third-largest national park in the contiguous United States after Death Valley and Yellowstone. Sorry but the last time I check with the FAA you're not allowed to fly over ANY National parks or protected reserves. I am very surprised the FAA has paid you a visit OR contacted you.
Please read the entire thread (or at east the first 7 posts):

Alligator in Everglades miami

Reactions: dwolfe002
I don't care where it was flying in the Everglades, it's not a risk I am willing to take due to the Hefty fine!
I SENT IN a request to the FAA about flying in the Everglades State Park, and it will be really interesting in what they have to say b.c now Its I want to know for knowledge.

Can you Fly a Drone in a National Park?
No, you can’t. Drone owners are aware they should keep their gadgets away from airports but are often surprised to find out that they also can’t use them in National Parks.

In August 2014, the National Park Service (NPS) made it illegal to operate drones in National Parks under 36 CFR 1.5. Jon Jarvis, the NPS Director, issued a no-drones policy quoting safety and noise issues. According to Jarvis, drones are forbidden in the National Parks as their presence can be disturbing, both to people in the parks and to wildlife.

The ban covers full-fledged National Parks, monuments, historic sites, battlefields, seashores, biking and walking trails, rivers, and other places run by the NPS. Going against the prohibition can lead to a $5,000 penalty and six months in prison. A tourist was penalized for flying a drone into Grand Prismatic Spring located in Yellowstone National Park in 2014.

It may be possible to legally fly into a National Park as long as you do not take off or land on park property. This is because the FAA controls all airspace in the United States. Most monuments are further than the max range of 7 KM (4.3 miles) most high-end drones have, so this can be challenging. This is still risky as the National Park may still be able to cite you under several different provisions. Do this at your own risk.

Drones can only be piloted in National Parks by licensed professionals with permits for search and rescue missions, fire safety, science studies, and research. In practice, these permits are almost never issued. This is a shame because National Parks are a national treasure and it would be awesome to see them from never before seen angles.

Can you fly a Drone in a National Forest?
You can’t fly in National Parks, but what about National Forests? Fortunately, it’s possible to fly your drone in most National Forests. Search for information on drone use for the National Forest that you plan to visit.

The National Park Service is controlled by the Department of the Interior. National Forests are under the jurisdiction of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). This is the reason for the differences in policies. National Forests are much larger than National Parks, so this actually means a lot of lands is available for flight.

Most of the time National Forests are okay with flight, but they may require that you get a special permit for commercial flights.

Can you fly a Drone in Wilderness Areas?
Not only are you restricted to fly your drone in National Parks and some National Forests, but you are also not allowed to fly your drone in wilderness areas as well. Drones are considered ‘motorized equipment,’ and as such, they cannot land in, take off from, or be operated from designated wilderness areas which only cover a small portion of National Forests.

These areas are considered ecologically sensitive—hosting threatened or even endangered wildlife that can be excessively affected by drone operations. Flying a drone near or over wildlife can create pressure that may change their natural behaviors, cause harm, and even death. Drone flights can harass and disturb animals and people enjoying the privacy of the wilderness. To help you be clear on the no-drone areas, you can download and use a map that shows the restricted areas and their locations.

Can you fly your drone in state parks?
Each state, county, and even city may regulate the use of drones in their jurisdiction. We recommend spending time figuring out local drone laws. Some cities have $500 or more fines for flying in restricted parks.

Many state parks allow for drone flight, but always check in advance and ensure that you are still 5 miles away from the nearest airport.

In 2011, FAA charged a man $10K, for flying a drone for commercial purposes recklessly, and without a license OVER A State Park!!

Good Flying Etiquette and Control
While you can license and enjoy flying your drone, it is important to be considerate of other people. Flying a drone in residential and town areas should be done with great caution. Many people are anxious about drones and may cause a fuss after spotting one. Make sure you don’t fly irresponsibly around people, or you could face a fine. Always obey laws governing the use of unmanned aerial vehicles. The following can help you take and keep control of your drone.

• Train and learn to operate your drone safely
  • Always keep your drone within your visual line of sight unless you’re flying under a Part 107 waiver
  • Fly your drone below 400 feet
  • Do not interfere with the operations of manned aircrafts
  • Fly your drone at least 5 miles from an airstrip or airport

I don't care where it was flying in the Everglades, it's not a risk I am willing to take due to the Hefty fine!
Okay... then don't fly _over_ the Everglades. I don't see anyone having any issue with that decision. No one is forcing you to do this. Please keep in mind that the NPS _confirms_ that it is legal to fly _over_ a NP as long as you don't operate the drone from within.

I SENT IN a request to the FAA about flying in the Everglades State Park, and it will be really interesting in what they have to say b.c now Its I want to know for knowledge.
Let me know when they tell you that they have no such ban in place (edit: from the FAA). What you don't realize is that it is the NPS that enforced the flight _on_ the _land_ that they manage. NPS are _not_ a NFZ (from the FAA). Again, this has nothing to do with the FAA

Okay... then don't fly _over_ the Everglades. I don't see anyone having any issue with that decision. No one is forcing you to do this. Please keep in mind that the NPS _confirms_ that it is legal to fly _over_ a NP as long as you don't operate the drone from within.

Let me know when they tell you that they have no such ban in place (edit: from the FAA). What you don't realize is that it is the NPS that enforced the flight _on_ the _land_ that they manage. NPS are _not_ a NFZ (from the FAA). Again, this has nothing to do with the FAA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI SO WE CAN MOVE ON TO A NEW TOPIC. GREAT VID but you're breaking a big-time law.and I would hate for you yo get fined for it. - @tcope - no such ban IN THE Everglades mate, read below then?

[email protected]
To: FlPilotshark

May 10 at 7:42 AM

Thank you for contacting the FAA's Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Support Center.

Drones and other unmanned aircraft are not allowed in the Everglades National Park, or any other National Park Service site. This includes model airplanes, quadcopters, etc.
It does not get any more black and white then that lads and drone pilots.....

Please follow up with any further inquiries at [email protected]. Additional information is also available at Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS).

We appreciate your feedback. Please select: UAS Safety and Integration Division AUS-400.

Last edited:

Please Read below:
There is absolutely NO place in the Everglades where you can legally fly a drone. If you get caught flying in the Everglades National Park you will learn a very, very expensive lesson my friend and that's a fact! If I made that video I would take down as fast as possible and hope to god the FAA has seen it! I just don't get understand SOME people. Also, I KNOW IF YOU don't have a special permit that you are not allowed to fly your drone in Key West, see the link below and a lot of people don't even know this due to being irresponsible and not checking AIRMAP or any other APP.
Oh no the drone police have arrived-Good lawd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FYI SO WE CAN MOVE ON TO A NEW TOPIC. GREAT VIDEO - @tcope - no such ban IN THE Everglades mate, read below then?

You don't understand why has the ban, how it applies or that the FAA is giving you an over-simplified response.

Not to get into too much... the FAA has no ban or NFZ over NP. The NPS has banned drone from use _on_ their land (i.e. no operation take off or landing from the property that they manage). The NPS (correctly so) cannot ban drones from the airspace above the NPS has no authority on airspace. But again, the FAA has no such ban or NFZ above NP. It's not just me... anyone reading this form knows this because there are about a hundred threads on this subject that go into great detail on the matter.

I started to post that you could also look at b4ufly app and online map to confirm this but...

In the true fashion of the FAA they have misleading information (again). Imagine that. The FAA classifies area above NP as a "Flight Advisory" but then they mark it all in red which make it look like you cannot fly in that airspace per the FAA. As outlined above, this is not correct and why the FAA labels it as an "advisory" (but never explains this and make it look like a NFZ). Notice on this FAA page:

Flight Advisories: Parks – Landing at National Parks, Monuments, Preserves, Wildlife Refuges and at State Refuges, Critical Habitat Areas, and Sanctuaries

Note that the page is titles, "Landing At National Parks...". While it is still not completely correct, it mentions "landing". This is partly because flying in airspace over NP is not prohibited. However, this entire page is only mentioning the limitation put forth by the NPS as they don't control airspace and the FAA has no restriction above NP. Notice on this page that the FAA _never_ states that they (the FAA) limit use above NP.

So in summary... it's a well known fact and been established that they FAA does not restrict flight above NP and that the NPS only restricts landing, taking off and operating from the land that they manage.

You don't understand why has the ban, how it applies or that the FAA is giving you an over-simplified response.

Not to get into too much... the FAA has no ban or NFZ over NP. The NPS has banned drone from use _on_ their land (i.e. no operation take off or landing from the property that they manage). The NPS (correctly so) cannot ban drones from the airspace above the NPS has no authority on airspace. But again, the FAA has no such ban or NFZ above NP. It's not just me... anyone reading this form knows this because there are about a hundred threads on this subject that go into great detail on the matter.

I started to post that you could also look at b4ufly app and online map to confirm this but...

In the true fashion of the FAA they have misleading information (again). Imagine that. The FAA classifies area above NP as a "Flight Advisory" but then they mark it all in red which make it look like you cannot fly in that airspace per the FAA. As outlined above, this is not correct and why the FAA labels it as an "advisory" (but never explains this and make it look like a NFZ). Notice on this FAA page:

Flight Advisories: Parks – Landing at National Parks, Monuments, Preserves, Wildlife Refuges and at State Refuges, Critical Habitat Areas, and Sanctuaries

Note that the page is titles, "Landing At National Parks...". While it is still not completely correct, it mentions "landing". This is partly because flying in airspace over NP is not prohibited. However, this entire page is only mentioning the limitation put forth by the NPS as they don't control airspace and the FAA has no restriction above NP. Notice on this page that the FAA _never_ states that they (the FAA) limit use above NP.

So in summary... it's a well known fact and been established that they FAA does not restrict flight above NP and that the NPS only restricts landing, taking off and operating from the land that they manage.
Thank you- You are absolutely correct

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54