DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Allowed to Fly my drone?

bijayk

Reactions
OK, so I bought DJI Mini almost 15 months ago. Played around for few months and then got busy with other things. Now trying to fly it now and it seems recently more rules have been put in place.

I got the TRUST certificate. I understand that it being under 250 gm I need not register the drone as far as using it for recreational purpose.

When I check the B4UFLY app, it shows Yellow zone with DC SFRA. I tried reading more but not sure if I am interpreting it correctly. Somewhere i read that there are two zones, 0-15 miles radius I cannot fly without FAA authorization. For 15-30 miles radius (which is what I fall under) i can fly if I follow certain requirements (one of them is that says >>Aircraft must be registered and marked). So does it mean that even if I fall under 250 gm drone, i still need to register?

Or am I even reading/understanding it correctly?

Would appreciate any feedback from the experts here.

Attachments

• drone.jpg
    drone.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 50
Would appreciate any feedback from the experts here.
Quick advice is to go to YouTube and search on and view several videos, actually seeing the videos as they are explained might clears thing up really quickly.

Below is the link to all of the downloads offered by DJI for the Mavic Mini. You will also find the 49-page Mavic Mini's User Manual, in case your Drone did not come with one.

After you read the Manual, read it again, you will be surprised what you missed the first time and you will be better prepared for that first "scary moment…"

Good Luck…

Reactions: YVRGUY
DC-SFRA means Washington DC Special Flight Rules and it is a no fly zone from surface to 18,000'. If I am reading your Lat/Long correctly you are just west of Damascus and fall within a Temporary Flight Restriction zone with no termination date.

You should be able to fly just a few miles north of those coordinates according to the FAA Sector maps.

Reactions: Torque
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama, welcome to the forum!
Here is a helpful article for you

Thank you all for your feedback.

The more I read and understand the more depressing it is. So it seems I have 3 restrictions showing up on B4UFLY. Seems the DC SFRA is least of my worries. I think I am covered there as it it almost 25+ miles from the airport. But the other two are more critical ones making it a no fly zone for me :-(.

I guess it's no go for me unless I drive a bit far just for flying.

The first two TFR apply to me which does no expire.

Thank you all for your feedback.

The more I read and understand the more depressing it is. So it seems I have 3 restrictions showing up on B4UFLY. Seems the DC SFRA is least of my worries. I think I am covered there as it it almost 25+ miles from the airport. But the other two are more critical ones making it a no fly zone for me :-(.

I guess it's no go for me unless I drive a bit far just for flying.

The first two TFR apply to me which does no expire.
I'll pat you on the back for trying to fly in compliance and researching the rules before you fly.

Let me also commend you for working at learning the rules about the airspace and the TFR.

As to your question about registration, even though your drone is light enough to not be compelled to be registered there is a benefit to doing so. If you want to fly in a controlled airspace you will want to get a LAANC certification using an app like Aloft. If you aren’t registered it is my understanding that such a tool cannot be used. That makes the $5 registration fee well worth spending.

Let me also commend you for working at learning the rules about the airspace and the TFR.

As to your question about registration, even though your drone is light enough to not be compelled to be registered there is a benefit to doing so. If you want to fly in a controlled airspace you will want to get a LAANC certification using an app like Aloft. If you aren’t registered it is my understanding that such a tool cannot be used. That makes the $5 registration fee well worth spending.
I have wondered about the advantages. Is there a link that links all advantages or is that the only one? I do not fly in a controlled air space now, but maybe there will be the opportunity to do so.

Thank you for your inputs. I will go ahead with registration at least.

Just wondering why B4UFLY shows this zone as yellow though. I thought Yellow meant that I can still fly with Caution. But it contradicts with the TFRs. It is really confusing. Shouldn't it be red in that case?

It is my understanding that B4UFLY shows a warning of possible upcoming TFRs in yellow, but restricted areas show in red. That would mean that you could still be able to fly in the yellow zones, but need to maintain a situation awareness that it go red and restricted in the near future.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78