DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost a fly away, that was close. Question on strong wind warning?

xiarcher

Reactions
So, I just had this happen to me flying my Mini over water. But what I had was the strong wind warning and then the message said cannot RTH, Landing! I got out of RTM but at this point I lost video feed, only about 1500 feet away from me. So, I cannot see her since it is trying behind a bridge, I keep trying to get her up, but the DJI Fly app is frozen. I have no idea at this point where this bird is. I restart the app and it connects and the video I see is my mini hovering over the takeoff spot. Oh, did I mention I was out about 100 feet on the fishing pier. Ran back and landed her safely. The first video file was fine of the initial flight but the second broke up and could only read on the phone cache and it came close to the water. I did not try to hit the land and then RTH on the app. I only hit RTH on the remote. Anyone get (Strong wind warning followed by Landing)?

The Wind Warning and the Warning that it cannot use the RTH is normal.

The Problem you faced was most likely going behind the bridge and being to low, causing you to loose signal.
Once you lost signal , RTH activated despite the wind warning and brought it back.

Unless the App really crashed , the restarting of the app had little to do with gaining the signal back.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mini 2 in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Anyone get (Strong wind warning followed by Landing)?
I'm not sure why you say this was "almost a flyaway".
A flyaway (if there was such a thing) would be the drone flying away, not landing or returning to home.

The wind warning is badly worded and doesn't mean tat the drone won't attempt RTH.
It's trying to say that RTH might not be successful because of wind.
But the warning has nothing to do with the drone landing.
That was caused by something else and the most likely cause would be accidentally hitting the landing button that's right next to the RTH button on screen.

So, I just had this happen to me flying my Mini over water. But what I had was the strong wind warning and then the message said cannot RTH, Landing! I got out of RTM but at this point I lost video feed, only about 1500 feet away from me. So, I cannot see her since it is trying behind a bridge, I keep trying to get her up, but the DJI Fly app is frozen. I have no idea at this point where this bird is. I restart the app and it connects and the video I see is my mini hovering over the takeoff spot. Oh, did I mention I was out about 100 feet on the fishing pier. Ran back and landed her safely. The first video file was fine of the initial flight but the second broke up and could only read on the phone cache and it came close to the water. I did not try to hit the land and then RTH on the app. I only hit RTH on the remote. Anyone get (Strong wind warning followed by Landing)?
As usual, a look at the flight logs always helps

Thanks all, looking at the log and remember I'm a newbee. If I try to remember my actions it looks like the drone was RTH but I think I took over control in a panic. I myself hit RTH twice and when I hear strong wind warning unable to RTH I panic and took control again. I will have to try this on a very windy day in controlled conditions to see what happens and not touch anything. I still can't explain why after hearing (strong wind warning unable to RTH...Landing). Landing is what got me crazy. I did find a video from a you tuber explaining the RTH speed and if the winds are two high and the drone computer thinks it will not make it the drone will land. Once again thank you for all your info and help.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Glad you landed your drone. Interesting the term fly away, usually means I lost my drone and don't why?
Few reasons why many lose their drones, too strong wind for drone to RTH.
Flying behind a building, terrain etc, losing signal and having an RTH height too low to clear obstacles in the TRH path. Launching from steel surfaces or reinforced concrete ( it messes up the compass)
Many other reasons as well. Check out the search function, glass icon upper right, type in flyaway cause.
See what responses you get.

I did find a video from a you tuber explaining the RTH speed and if the winds are two high and the drone computer thinks it will not make it the drone will land.
Youtube is wonderful for spreading misinformation.
If you did attempt RTH and the wind was too strong for the drone to make headway against the wind, the drone would keep trying to fly home and not land until the battery reaches critical low voltage level.

The simple way to avoid strong wind problems is to be aware of the wind direction and speed before you launch and don't fly off downwind, which ensures the drone has to fight against a headwind to come home.

Reactions: maelstrom
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura