DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost crashed another mavic..

You've started the worst way.
I was in a real hurry to get a shot of the sunset earlier today
Never put your drone to fly in this haste. This equipment needs certain procedures to fly and stay in the air properly and safely.
First of all, let the GPS signal lock, the home point be set and the IMU warm up.
Mark this: You don't need to calibrate the compass nor the IMU everytime you turn it on. Do that whenever the app ask you to. If it's ok, just don't.

Reactions: Dragonfly
I may not calibrate every time (actually, only when the app requests it), but I do make sure when I take off everything is in the green and most importantly my home point is accurately set. Don't want to jynx but have yet to experience any fly away scenarios.

You've started the worst way.

Never put your drone to fly in this haste. This equipment needs certain procedures to fly and stay in the air properly and safely.
First of all, let the GPS signal lock, the home point be set and the IMU warm up.
Mark this: You don't need to calibrate the compass nor the IMU everytime you turn it on. Do that whenever the app ask you to. If it's ok, just don't.
I think that was the point of this post by the o.p.

Reactions: Grungymike95
I just asked tech support at Dji if they advise compass calibration before every flight or only at certain times like the drone being moved into new locations etc.
QUOTE "always calibrate the compass before every flight".

Obviously take this information or leave it, but that's what Dji advised and I'm of the same opinion.

I hope this helps mate

Reactions: Lutzdrone
Definitely no need to calibrate anything until the app tells you so.
For your case I rather think GPS had not fully been acquired when you took off.

I agree with you, Egika. The one time I got My Mavic crazy was in a situation of hurry to takeoff.

After the scary moment, analyzing the log it showed that I took off with 9 locked gps and dropped to 7. I believe that was the problem.

Since then I wait until I get at least 12 locked satellites and never had another similar scary moment

Reactions: ed1nh0 and Egika
I just asked tech support at Dji if they advise compass calibration before every flight or only at certain times like the drone being moved into new locations etc.

Obviously take this information or leave it, but that's what Dji advised and I'm of the same opinion.

I hope this helps mate
That is what one person at DJI advised.
Ask the same question again to another person in the same company and you will get a different answer.
It's the same like here in this forum.

Reactions: ed1nh0
I have NEVER calibrated my compass.

Its been from China to USA and then to Europe.
I'm with you. My Mavic came from China(obviously) to Europe and I have since brought it to Singapore. Never calibrated the compass, and it flies perfectly.

My iPhone 6+ had never asked me before to calibrate its compass but now it does almost every time I connect it to RC... Coincidence??? Is it possible that one compass is interfering with the other???

I hope this helps mate
You talk to help desk, a DJI person employed to answer phones who knows absolutely nothing. If you want the correct answer, you talk to the technician or designers at DJI.
You dont ask a chef how to change a spark plug!

No, I never spoke to help desk, I'm very aware of how Dji work and majority of them clearly know nothing. I spoke to the technical support staff who are always really helpful and do actually know what they're talking about to be fair

That is what one person at DJI advised.
Ask the same question again to another person in the same company and you will get a different answer.
It's the same like here in this forum.
Hence what you're saying is that there is no definitive answer as everyone has mixed opinions.

Hence what you're saying is that there is no definitive answer as everyone has mixed opinions.
Quite right.
Here we have hundreds of users who use their Samsung devices with Android 7 and had absolutely no issues (I envy them).
Also we have those who calibrates the compass and IMU before and after every flight (If they could calibrate during the flight would surely do so) and those who never did...
So, the point is, there is no common sense! :)
My guess is, after reading as many posts I could and by my own rookie experience, almost all issues came from haste take offs with not enough sats and locked and no home point properly set.
That's why the experienced pilots perform a pre-flight checklist on every battery change.
I'll do as I always been doing. Calibrate whenever the app ask to do.
Fly safe!

Reactions: Alex ROV
Quite right.
Here we have hundreds of users who use their Samsung devices with Android 7 and had absolutely no issues (I envy them).
Also we have those who calibrates the compass and IMU before and after every flight (If they could calibrate during the flight would surely do so) and those who never did...
So, the point is, there is no common sense! :)
My guess is, after reading as many posts I could and by my own rookie experience, almost all issues came from haste take offs with not enough sats and locked and no home point properly set.
That's why the experienced pilots perform a pre-flight checklist on every battery change.
I'll do as I always been doing. Calibrate whenever the app ask to do.
Fly safe!
And I guess this is the whole point really isn't it.. The fact that I've ALWAYS from day 1 calibrated the compass on every drones never experienced a single problem such as erratic behaviour etc.. Ie certainly nothing that would be of any great concern or detriment to my flight.

And then, there's yourself who chooses to do it when the app says or i guess whenever you feel it needs calibration.

All taken onto account the end result is there absolutely no definitive right or wrong answer. So I guess that's the answer right there [emoji2]

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman