DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

almost hit a building. thought and decisions

last night the Mavic and I went to make a nice night and buildings shots and videos. the location was pretty open and there was a relatively small area with 100m tall buildings.
A few minutes into the flight and the quick decrease in signal strength was quicker than usual. At a 100 + meter altitude and a less than 20 meters from the nearest building the controller`s signal lost for 9 seconds which triggered the fail safe RTH option. I moved to a closer location and the image signal returned only to show that the drone is heading directly to the nearest building which standing between home point and the Mavic. Controller inputs didn't seemed to make any difference, I tried this while trying to cancel RTH mode.
Right when it seemed that Mavic is less than 2 meters from building and the footage going to be added to youtube`s drone crashes hall if fame, RTH canceled and the rudder inputs turned the drone 180 degrees and we managed to escape the crash vector. few minutes later that night the drone landed to die another day. Feuuu, that was a close one.

I chose the best time and location to film(late at weekend night, and a area that is very not active at this time in the week). the connection lost was somewhat expected but I think that the the fail safe trigger while flying in tight an close-to-controller location demand that the fail safe mode when losing connection will be to stay in place.

looking at the flight footage and seeing it while flying, i couldn't estimate the distance from the building (even thou it looked pretty **** close), I am not sure if the avoidance system took action or even recognize the object ahead. in other night flights I noticed that the collision system was inconsistent at recognizing potential collision. it is possible to view the system`s log and find out if the system took action or it was just luck that the RTH canceled at the right time?

I will appreciate any comment and suggestion. please let me know what methods do you use when flying to night-above-city mission.

enjoy your flights, DD

Flying with low light , avoidance does not work, will say low ambient

Reactions: DroneDD
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis