DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost lost it in Chicago!

GooniesNeverDie

Reactions
So yes I have an altered Mavic.
On .400

My first time in Chicago. I flew over Lake Michigan. Half mile out and all of a sudden I lose GPS with 17 sats? It drifted for a long ways before it came back.

It went into ATTI mode.

It was super windy. And it was flying crooked kind of.

Any ideas?
3ee35ec883576bd559d7f8d75cdcef55.jpg

So a weird thing happened. I went down there again the next day. The minute I flew over the concrete and over the water I got "ATTI MODE". It's so strange. If I didn't know better I would think there was some interference there. Like heavy steel in the concrete? It scared me so I quit flying.

So strange

There is heavy steel in that concrete, which could maybe give you mag interference but it shouldn't mess with your GPS.

It also gave me compass errors
that sounds like its the steel in the concrete. Same thing happens to be if I get near a bridge. I flew over a old railroad bridge a week ago and all my signals went out. Freaked me out but I was able to regain control and bring it back home. I have it insured with a PAP but still worries me!

Did you turn on the Mavic while it was sitting in the ground or did you try turning on while holding it somitmwasnt on the ground ? Sounds like magnetic interference from takeoff, glad ya got it back

Lol same thing for me, wind blew it out to sea in Chicago, had to tack the wind to make it back to shore.

K index is going to have zero effect on drone performance over those distances and altitudes. Especially at those latitudes.

First day I was out nearly a mile and lost all GPS. That's when it drifted.

Second day Saturday it was right off shore it lost GPS.

K index is going to have zero effect on drone performance over those distances and altitudes. Especially at those latitudes.

I am very fascinated about your self-confidence.
Can I have more info / source - so you can persuade me?
Thanks

More to the point, provided sources it WILL have an effect on very low altitude, very short distance *microwave* communications.
We arent talking long wavelength radio, we aren't trying to admin long wires or power grids. We don't live in the arctic circle. We aren't operating at high altitudes (measured in miles not a few hundred feet).

Its not going to interfere with the control link and isn't going to mess up the GPS. FWIW 5 is a "minor storm" as well, a level way below anyone commercially takes even the slightest notice - even those operating in areas where it can have an effect like high altitude, HF radio links and so on.

Its a garbage gimmick shoved into an app to try to provide a selling point. Its also something very few people actually understand so will get scared by big red lettering.

Nothing on the drone lends itself to being susceptible. Not its chosen control methods, navigation methods or altitude (or latitude).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25