DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost lost it!

It was in RTH mode, and lucky for him that is a straight line back to the takeoff point. It traveled far enough in that effort to make it to a piece of land. Luck...nothing more! This event would’ve happen exactly the same over land, don’t blame the water.
Your right the water has nothing to do with it other than it's harder to find it in 30 ft of water.

Not sure what your trouble could be . I’ve been flying over water for two years. I fly a Mavic Pro and an Air2. I have never had any unusual occurrences with either. It sounds to me like you have a battery problem, not a drone problem.. living next to a lake Gives me unobstructed view and is a great place fly. I always return with 20-30% battery to give me a good margin for wins charges.
You were very very lucky. Glad it did not land in the water. Flying over water definitely has it's challenges. I don't go that far from shore. Do you have a video of it?
Here's a video I just did by the Long Island Sound
Ray, thanks for sharing your video!
I would fly over water more if it looks like that.
Nice work, did do any editing?

Reactions: RayKelly
Did you check UAV Forecast? Wind at 150ft might have been quite high and against your return flight. RTH speeds are not the fastest and often keep you up in that higher speed winds. If you watch your screen, it will be obvious that it is returning too slowly. Reducing altitude to lighter winds and if necessary, switch to sport mode (fast) and getter done.
Happy for your save but don’t let it stop you from water flights. Accept your, and your drones, limitations. Every flight is a learning experience. Enjoy

PS: use a float (GetterBack) if you have Care Refresh or over fresh water for retrieval.
Did not check UAV forecast, after looking at the flight log it was definitely a battery problem, flight lasted a little over 3 min. Total with the low battery warning.

Got lucky, very glad for you.

lesson of the day. Don’t go 2000ft distance away over water when your battery is below 50% do that earlier in the flight.

May all drones come home
My battery had just been charged, showed over 80% when I put it in the drone. I had no doubt I could fly there and back little did I know.

after looking at the flight log it was definitely a battery problem, flight lasted a little over 3 min. Total with the low battery warning.
Is there any chance we'll see the flight data?
My battery had just been charged, showed over 80% when I put it in the drone. I had no doubt I could fly there and back little did I know.
If your battery didn't show 100% or very close to that, it wasn't fully charged at all.
If the battery isn't fully charged, the % indicator gives a false reading.
Cell voltage is what matters .. not a false %.
If you want to understand what the real situation was, post that data.

I have not had one issue over the water with my mini or ma2. 90% of my flights are over water Not once have I ever even had a thought I would sink one of my drones just be cautious,careful and confident make sure everything on your drone is working correctly before you head over water and you will be ok

The battery has to be charged to 100%, otherwise the cells may be unbalanced, hence the critical low battery warning after only 3minutes of flight.

The key to flying over the water it to understand that your drone does not know your flying over the water, it does not know your going to be flying back in a headwind , you have be to be the brilliant pilot who negotiates all those factors.

I always suggest you get a Rescue Jacket so the next time you go out over the water , you can gain some confidence and learn without sacrifice how to pilot over the water.

Once you gain the confidence understand why the drone is force landing with 15 % battery left and what to do because of it , you will be a far better pilot for it .

Please check out this thread on the Rescue Jacket and how you can ease yourself back into the world of flying over the water.

( Keep in mind you get a 2800 Ft Visual Line of Sight with the Rescue jacket.) :)

I have not had one issue over the water with my mini or ma2. 90% of my flights are over water Not once have I ever even had a thought I would sink one of my drones just be cautious,careful and confident make sure everything on your drone is working correctly before you head over water and you will be ok
What nonsense. If you are a pilot I am dumping my wings. A “Pilot” for better or worse and in your case the worst would already have factored in such common routine variables. Calling a DJI drone operator/enthusiast a “pilot” is self identification and in this case My indent is unicorn. Just saying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929