DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost lost the Mavic!

Ddjmrql

Reactions
I followed all the instructions to land the Mavic on a moving boat: 1. Disable downward sensor 2. Put smart RTH to hover and 3. Lost connection to hover. I was able to land it on the roof of a moving bamboo boat during my vacation but I have to do a controlled crash land due to the Mavic motor wont turn off despite holding down the left stick.

Also, Mavic reach the maximim distance, therefore I have to tell the person manning the boat to get closer to the Mavic. Don't know why?

All in all it was a nerve racking experience but definitely an excellent learning opportunity. BTW, my finger got clipped by the props since the motor has a lagged before reaching a complete stop.

What would you suggest in this situation to have a much smoother landing.

Most of the time I hand catch my Mavic since the props are so low to the ground and I don't want to be trimming the grass, and this was one of the major positive aspects of the Mavic as far as flying in locations that might not have a suitable launch/landing spot. Unless the boat is traveling at full speed I would think you could just bring the Mavic in and grab it by hand, and then you wouldn't have to worry about disabling sensors, etc.

-Joe

I have not launched or landed on a boat yet with the MP.(Still getting used to the different characteristics from the P3P).But I wont turn off sensors,and I wont use RTH.IMO it's best to hand launch and hand catch from a boat .

For the max distance, jsut don't set one. There isn't one set by default so you've done that.

For motor stop you probably didn't hold the stick down long enough. 3 seconds sometimes feels long.

Thanks for all your comments! I will definitely try some of the advises mentioned here on my next boat trip.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming