DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alternative to holding Mavic for compass cal?

When I fly i2s near T&D lines the magnetic interference is constant and I sometimes have to calibrate multiple times a day.
The issue of course being that I do not have the choice to fly anywhere else when it is my job to fly around a steel pole surging EMF. I understand that there is nothing wrong with the compass technically, honestly
But you do not "have to calibrate multiple times a day" because you fly near something with a magnetic field of its own.

Compass calibration is all about your drone and it's own magnetic field and has nothing to do with where you fly the drone.
You don't calibrate the compass to adjust or correct for anything in your flying environment.

The reason you have a compass is to have a reliable direction sensor that uses the earth's normal magnetic field as a reference.
The components of the drone and the electrical currents running around the drone have their own magnetic fields that can deflect the compass.
Calibrating the compass helps identify the magnetic fields that belong to the drone so they can be ignored allowing the compass to accurately read the magnetic field in which you fly.
Once calibrated, that's it.
The drones own magnetic fields don't change unless you modify the drone.
Recalibrating the drone multiple times a day is a complete waste of effort and won't change anything.

If you get a compass error ... don't recalibrate (since it's not going to fix the problem..
Instead move a bit further away from the cause of the compass warning to launch your drone.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Recalibrating in a bad magnetic environment will likely actually decalibrate it but look like its good. That would be bad.

One legitimate reason to calibrate is if the AC itself managed to be magnetized to some degree. Better to demagnetise it which has solve some with chronic problems but in absence of that ability, calibration may gain some accuracy, since the magnetism will be fixed in relation to the AC.

As for deviating from topic, yes we have to an extent, but we're also addressing if there's a need to calibrate in the first place.
If his AC isn't one of those that is programmed to frequently call for calibration due to time or distance, then he can have someone help him calibrate it the one time, and not be concerned about it again for the foreseeable future.

When I calibrated my Spark there was a notice on the screen it was complete.. I did the calibration 3 times with the MA when I got it because there was no notice of completion so I started flying and it's been running great so far.. my question now is there a warning given when it need calibration again ?

Usually yes. Really it should rarely need it, just as the IMU or gimbal rarely needs calibration.
Only some of the M2's have regularly asked for calibration. Perhaps because early editions were prone to acquiring magnetism?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661