DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude height

millbah

Reactions
What is the best way to determine a suitable height to fly? More specifically, I want to set a height when flying a mission (Dronelink or Maven) so that I will not bang into something. I usually set the mission at home beforehand with the software setting the height parameter. Recently I nearly hit a tree because of the extreme difference in height across the site on an automated mission. 😩

Check Google maps for the maximum land height above sea level of your mission and add whatever you think is a safe height to get over trees and other obstacles. And then make that your minimum mission height.

I usually set the mission at home beforehand with the software setting the height parameter
Maybe scout out the flying area before setting up a mission for that automated flight? You can fly around to check out the nearby obstacles and see how high the drone needs to be to safely clear them.

What is the best way to determine a suitable height to fly? More specifically, I want to set a height when flying a mission (Dronelink or Maven) so that I will not bang into something. I usually set the mission at home beforehand with the software setting the height parameter. Recently I nearly hit a tree because of the extreme difference in height across the site on an automated mission. 😩
Use common sense. Don't you check the area you are going to fly in before hand, if not start.

When checking the area you will fly in don't just look at all the trees you can see near you. If your in an area with lots of trees and you cannot see across all of them, then fly up and look over them. years ago I was flying a large property with a forest on one side. I could not see all the way across the forest from the ground. I set my height high enough to clear all the trees, however, while flying over, there was one tree of a different kind that popped up way higher than the rest. Guess where I landed unexpectedly? Fortunately I had two drones. I used the other with a hook and lifted it up and brought it home.
Check your environment well before your flight!

I always scout the area fly to the area where the highest point is and fly to the top is and make note of it and set RTH at least 25-50' above that. Then I am fine. Because I do this I never have issues and this only takes me a minute or two to do this.

Reactions: HoozierDroneDaddy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet