DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude Mini 2

its probably a built in Geofence ,and dont forget its a max above the take off point ,so in theory you could take off from a mountain at 500m and go up another 500m ,i believe there is an absolute limit, where the props are unable to support the drone because of the air density

its probably a built in Geofence ,and dont forget its a max above the take off point ,so in theory you could take off from a mountain at 500m and go up another 500m ,i believe there is an absolute limit, where the props are unable to support the drone because of the air density
I wounder if anyone has ever tried it

DJI spcifies a maximum altitude of 4000 meters (13123 ft) for mini 2. Air is really thin up there.

As for 500 meter high flights, the limit is there for flying uphill.

There are however many idiots that tried the 500m limit on flat ground.

Reactions: The General
"I wounder if anyone has ever tried it"

Probably but there are risks associated with this 'leapfrogging'. The landing and restart reset the homepoint, so to get it to return to you you have to know how to reset the homepoint to your location.
Apart from that it's a long way up and a very long way down especially when the battery is counting down to low numbers.
By accident (accidentally set RTH height) I sent my MM up to 870 odd ft and it took a long time to get it down, and I wasn't even battery watching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a thread from somewhere around the Eastern Mediterran where it was legal but that was a while ago and the rules may have changed.
May I ask why you are so interested?

Reactions: old man mavic
No reason i was just interested, any way i wouldn't want to take it much higher than the legal limit, to be honest even if you did go say an extra 200ft higher i don't think it would make you want to go wow anyway ?
that 400ft limit is not just for fun my friend it is set for a reason ,to give a separation layer between UAV and Manned aircraft ,and just remember ,when it comes to airspace, UAV are at the bottom of the food chain ,and we always have to give way to manned flight ,thats the whole reason for VLOS ,please dont go higher than 400ft AGL, you will be in big trouble if you are caught ,and will be looking at a big fine ,and even jail time in an extreme case ,and be aware that there are different height limits, depending on airspace classification ,so the maximum could be 100ft in some instances

Reactions: Mavic 57
@Photoman phil was not tying to have a go at you ,maybe i misread your post it just seemed you thought it would be ok to exceed the 400ft limit ,yes there are lots of idiots on YT, i agree and its those that give the hobby a bad name ,and spoil it for the rest of us
take care and happy flying

I am not in favor of excessive regulation, but the 400' rule is a good one and should never be exceeded. I have on many occasions seen aircraft flying below 400', especially helicopters. Very recently I was flying my Mini in the desert in the middle of nowhere at around 20' above ground level when I heard a chopper approaching. I landed immediately. The chopper was a police helicopter and he obviously veered in my direction to check out what I was doing. I actually thought he was going to land he came in so low. He passed over me at around 200' elevation! For this reason I try to keep my drone below 200' when flying in flat plain areas. I think the future will be 300' and lighter drones, the technology is out there to make these things super light, super safe, and still have super quality video. Just imo

I believe it is a breach of regulations for manned aircraft to fly below 400 ft unless they are approaching for landing in controlled air space (no fly for UAS).

Not sure about the Police, but technically they are in breach of airspace regulations if they are flying too low. The flight ceilings do not (and should not) overlap.

By the way, you will always wrongly estimate the height of a large aircraft. Whatever height you estimated, it was probably wrong.

Last edited:
400ft is 122m!

400ft is 122m!
@photo2be please read the whole thread from the start the 500m i mentioned referred to the max height above the take off point that the drone can reach ,not the 400ft AGL

To Photo2be, bear in mind this thread involves 2 separate ceilings, the 400ft/122m AGL ceiling of British Law and the 500m/1650ft above-the-take-off-point ceiling built into DJI drones.

NO, this thread was started by a UK poster so in this instance it is British Law. The FAA has no jurisdiction in the UK or EU.

Reactions: old man mavic
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flonke