DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I causing motor damage?

EgorTheRed

Reactions
Still finding my way round the controls of my MM (And having great fun doing it!) But on a couple of occasions, rather than land on uneven terrain, I've landed the aircraft on my hand and flipped it over onto it's back to quickly shut off the props. Just wondering if this doing any damage to the prop motors by doing this?

Still finding my way round the controls of my MM (And having great fun doing it!) But on a couple of occasions, rather than land on uneven terrain, I've landed the aircraft on my hand and flipped it over onto it's back to quickly shut off the props. Just wondering if this doing any damage to the prop motors by doing this?
Rather than flipping just hold down the left control and the Mavic will power down

No , its not going to do any harm to the motors, but as written above there our better and safer ways. .

If, using manual control, I land my mini on my hand I can release the up/down joystick as soon as the mini touches my hand and the motors shut down maybe one second later. ( I have just tried it) Alternatively as mentioned by others simply continue to hold the up/down joystick in the fully down position until the motors stop, again it only takes a second or two.
That catch and tilt thing IS useful for an emergency.

With regards to launching from a hand, I have found that if I start the motors, with a CSC, and then move my hand up and down reasonably slowly I can feel the drone's motors react to the movement. Once that has happened if I then slowly lower my hand the drone will 'lift off' my hand i.e. stay roughly where, in space, it was. If anyone tries this make the "lower your hand" movement slow at first just incase your up and down movements were not 'vigourous' enough to trigger the drone's hovering and be ready to use the controller to if needs be contol the drone as it may wander a bit before the VPS get's a grip of it

Last edited by a moderator:
If, using manual control, I land my mini on my hand I can release the up/down joystick as soon as the mini touches my hand and the motors shut down maybe one second later. ( I have just tried it) Alternatively as mentioned by others simply continue to hold the up/down joystick in the fully down position until the motors stop, again it only takes a second or two.
Interesting, I didn't know about that first technique, I always use the second one (continue to hold the up/down joystick in the fully down position).

Several youtubers advised against that because it can stress the motors.

Going vertical 400 ft straight up can put stress on your motors on a windy day , We know this because your Controller will show you a Warning in regards to the motors. Flipping over your Drone while holding it for 1 second wont stress the motors but it might make them race a bit .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Pouring rain.
Coal

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Doubt it would cause damage to the drone but might to you (and I know from experience it hurts!)- but why flip it? Just hold down on descend and motors automatically stop when landed.

Now if you're doing it to impress girls, I'd understand ;)

Any running of the motors stresses them to a degree. The more their speed fluctuates the more the stress. They're designed to accommodate this, but the more "sympathetic" you are to them the better chance they have of a long problem free life.

In short: not flipping the drone to shut down the motors is the more sympathetic way to do it, but flipping isn't necessarily "bad" per-se. A bit like driving/accelerating a car gently vs harshly - it's designed to cope with both, but being more gentle lowers the chance of problems occuring.

It must be true then......
No, it mustn't. That is their opinion, in the same way that somebody here have different opinion. Just two opinions. And probably only DJI knows for sure. Or somebody that knows about motor mechanics.

And speaking of DJI I don't remember anything in Mini's manual about that technique to power off the motors. It could be that powering off motors by flipping the drone is just emergency mechanism integrated in case of unwanted flipping during flight (Emergency Propeller Stop), and somebody just figured out that it can be cool way to use it after grabbing drone in hand. But maybe DJI did not intended it for such usage.

I think that is logical that any drastic change of speed in motors is stressful for them. That is the reason why motors usually gain or lose speed in gradual manner.

No, it mustn't. That is their opinion, in the same way that somebody here have different opinion. Just two opinions. And probably only DJI knows for sure. Or somebody that knows about motor mechanics.

And speaking of DJI I don't remember anything in Mini's manual about that technique to power off the motors. It could be that powering off motors by flipping the drone is just emergency mechanism integrated in case of unwanted flipping during flight (Emergency Propeller Stop), and somebody just figured out that it can be cool way to use it after grabbing drone in hand. But maybe DJI did not intended it for such usage.

I think that is logical that any drastic change of speed in motors is stressful for them. That is the reason why motors usually gain or lose speed in gradual manner.

Think you missed the sarcasm dude ???

Reactions: bcfd29 and BokiFly
What is the worst that might happen? The drone thinks it’s flying upside down and some flight control algorithm is implemented with the aim of righting itself is probably the reality. Motor damage is extremely unlikely unless you drop the drone or manage to cause a motor obstruction by coming into contact with the props. Even then a cooked mosfet in the inverter stage of the speed controller would be more likely than a thermal or mechanical failure in the motor. The motor won’t rev past it’s design limit, max RPM is set in firmware.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98