DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I correct?

Mel 08

Reactions
Got into a argument yesterday whilst flying.
Got lumbered with the most annoying person on the planet who said he knew all the laws about flying drones.
Was flying in the county side.
At 110metres.
In front of me a large incline.
This idiot said I could not fly higher than 400 ft from where I was standing.
I said if I was flying at that top of the hill in front of me the 400 ft was valid from under the drone not where I was standing.
I was correct wasn't I?
Ended up having a full blown argument with him despite 2 other pilots backing me up.

It can be hard being polite to some know it all’s but it’s the best option.
Some people will argue even when they know they are in the wrong, it’s like a power thing for pathetic people.
Not a lot you can do if you have the rules printed out to show them and they still argue.

One of the other guys showed him a picture very similar.
He insisted it was out of date and the law changed last year.
Not a nice experience dealing with him.
Lost my temper after he annoyed me for over an hour lol
He was wrong! That diag comes from the current CAA Drone Code. Might be a good idea to bookmark it on your phone so that you can easily counter misinformed individuals. I’ve actually printed them out & carry them in my drone bag.

The Drone and Model Aircraft Code | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Got into a argument yesterday whilst flying.
Got lumbered with the most annoying person on the planet who said he knew all the laws about flying drones.
Was flying in the county side.
At 110metres.
I said if I was flying at that top of the hill in front of me the 400 ft was valid from under the drone not where I was standing.
I was correct wasn't I?
Ended up having a full blown argument with him despite 2 other pilots backing me up.
the max height you can legally fly is 400 ft AGL so if you took off from the top of the hill and went up say to 100 ft as you flew out from the hill top across the valley ,your height above ground level would increase the further you flew from the take off point,so although you height reading on the screen would still say 100 ft you could in theory be at more than 400 ft AGL ,as the ground below the drone drops away ,where i fly in Wales i am often flying with a minus height reading on my screen if i have taken off from a very high mountain

the max height you can legally fly is 400 ft AGL so if you took off from the top of the hill and went up say to 100 ft as you flew out from the hill top across the valley ,your height above ground level would increase the further you flew from the take off point,so although you height reading on the screen would still say 100 ft you could in theory be at more than 400 ft AGL ,as the ground below the drone drops away ,where i fly in Wales i am often flying with a minus height reading on my screen if i have taken off from a very high mountain
That was explained to him numourous times.
What he wouldn't admit was what i/we were doing was the exact opposite of the scenario you just described

If Mr Rules was correct Mr A is within the rules but Mr B is breaking them.
Since their drones are 100 ft above the ground below them and only a metre apart that would seem pretty stupid.

i-3NFhcdM-L.jpg

Some people you just can't reason with... I'd be inclined to respond with a "I'm piloting an aircraft right now and would kindly ask you to abstain from distracting me any further"
He was looking over my shoulder at one point.
There was a message on the screen that I had exceeded 120 meters which he saw.
The drone was going up a hill in front of me therefore the message was technically wrong.
I physically had to push him out of the way quoting the 2 metre rule.

He was looking over my shoulder at one point.
There was a message on the screen that I had exceeded 120 meters which he saw.
The drone was going up a hill in front of me therefore the message was technically wrong.
I physically had to push him out of the way quoting the 2 metre rule.

You're a more patient man than me- like I said, with people like that, there's no talking to them.

I doubt I would've reacted with just a push in the same situation, fair play for keeping your head dude ;)

Mel...you did make a huge mistake..the mistake was flying with that guy in near proximity:cool:

Reactions: Mel 08
Never argue with a know it all, just ignore them.
They think that they know it all, but generally know piss all. It took me decades to learn to just ignore those types of people.
Arguing with an idiot, they just drag you down to their level.
Even on a forum, if you see a know it all, just use the ignore function, and save yourself some frustration.

If Mr Rules was correct Mr A is within the rules but Mr B is breaking them.
Since their drones are 100 ft above the ground below them and only a metre apart that would seem pretty stupid.

i-3NFhcdM-L.jpg

If person A sends his drone east without any up/down movement and he's directly over person B now, will the DJI Fly app indicator change from 100 to 500 feet (assuming no altitude ceiling lock)? Or will it remain at 100 feet?

Reactions: OneQuickSix
if someone approaches me while i am flying ,and this advice applied before and after the covid issue ,my response if they try to get in my face is you will have to excuse me for a few moments while i bring my drone in to land ,could you please stand over there so you dont get hit and then i will be able to talk to you and answer any questions you may have
i use the same technique if approached by a park ranger or a police man it has worked for me for the last few years

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31