DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I missing the obvious here? Controller USB connection question

CMILD561

Reactions
New to the air.

If I go to plug the cord from the controller into the my Pixel 3a phone which is USB C, great. The cord works out fine, it has no twists in it. The problem (on my end) is that this is my primary phone which I keep a case on and so it doesnt fit in the cradle grooves of the controller. And I dont want to keep taking a case on/off my primary phone.

I have plenty of old phones lying around, that are old school Non USB C. The pieces which came in my bundle now all require me to twist the cord in order to make it work for any of my old phones. And now it is not long enough and equally clunky. I am wondering if I am missing something so plainly obvious here that I am crazy. or is this a common design flaw. Do I have to order some other adapter to make a non USB C phone work? And if so can you point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1587039914018.png
    1587039914018.png
    550.9 KB · Views: 15
I don't use a phone wit micro USB, so I cannot comment on that. But, if in your case the cable looks like that (when plugged into the phone it goes "down" instead "up", relatively speaking, as seen on the pic), and obviously, you cannot change the orientation of the micro USB plug, it has to be plugged one way only, then you don't have any other choice but to use regular, longer (15 - 20 cm) micro USB to USB A cable and to connect your phone to the controller to the USB port which is on the down side of the controller (USB A port instead micro USB port on the side of the controller).

Let us know if it works. Take care.

Reactions: CMILD561
You will have to buy a longer cord for sure. I bought mi e on amazon. As far as the phone with the case, I dont like taking my case off everytime I fly. I'm ordering these clips. (See attachment.) They are supposedly made for thicker phones. I do have one question for you, your old phone that you use, does it work with the remote without being activated? I might try that if so.Screenshot_20200414-224911_eBay.jpg

You will have to buy a longer cord for sure. I bought mi e on amazon. As far as the phone with the case, I dont like taking my case off everytime I fly. I'm ordering these clips. (See attachment.) They are supposedly made for thicker phones. I do have one question for you, your old phone that you use, does it work with the remote without being activated? I might try that if so.View attachment 98822

Interesting. Got as link?

I don't use a phone wit micro USB, so I cannot comment on that. But, if in your case the cable looks like that (when plugged into the phone it goes "down" instead "up", relatively speaking, as seen on the pic), and obviously, you cannot change the orientation of the micro USB plug, it has to be plugged one way only, then you don't have any other choice but to use regular, longer (15 - 20 cm) micro USB to USB A cable and to connect your phone to the controller to the USB port which is on the down side of the controller (USB A port instead micro USB port on the side of the controller).

Let us know if it works. Take care.
thanks, but I dont think micro usb to usb-a is what i am looking for? The pics on amazon are not indicative of the correct type of cord. Perhaps another nomenclature i need to search?

"Smaller" plug is micro USB and it goes to your phone, "bigger" plug is regular USB, USB A and it goes to the bottom port on the Air controller:

If you don't want to use that port and you want to continue to use side port, then you need micro USB to micro USB cable (choose shorter cable):

"Smaller" plug is micro USB and it goes to your phone, "bigger" plug is regular USB, USB A and it goes to the bottom port on the Air controller:

If you don't want to use that port and you want to continue to use side port, then you need micro USB to micro USB cable (choose shorter cable):

ahhhh, that looks correct. Thanks!

Reactions: Dedal
ahhhh, that looks correct. Thanks!
To everyone on this thread THANK YOU!! I've been searching all over for this cable style and no joy... I've been cobbling together a C and an adapter to micro and it gives me problems with connectivity... It's a good day!
Shawn Paul

To everyone on this thread THANK YOU!! I've been searching all over for this cable style and no joy... I've been cobbling together a C and an adapter to micro and it gives me problems with connectivity... It's a good day!
Shawn Paul
You are welcome.

You will have to buy a longer cord for sure. I bought mi e on amazon. As far as the phone with the case, I dont like taking my case off everytime I fly. I'm ordering these clips. (See attachment.) They are supposedly made for thicker phones. I do have one question for you, your old phone that you use, does it work with the remote without being activated? I might try that if so.View attachment 98822
My wife just did a phone upgrade. I took her old phone(iphone7plus) ,reset it and restored it using my Apple ID without bring over apps,etc and now use it as my rc device. When flying in a remote area I can use my phones hotspot for the gps map to work if I need to change the return to home location while flying.

I use this Owoda cable...USB to USB. This works great with my NVIDIA tablet (dedicated to my drones) and the additional tablet holder that I use with the DJI controller. It works great.

This seems to be what I was looking for!! I saw something similar but it was advertised as being able to fit a max case thickness of 11 mm.

I have a Mavic Air, and my iPhone 8 will not fit into the controller artms, unless I take the case off, which I really don/t want to do. I use the Catalyst waterproof case, and it's not a good idea to keep opening and closing. The Catalyst case is 11 or 12 mm thick...do you think it would fit in these brackets? Does the material flex?

Reactions: L.Bro
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk