DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I the first one to crash MA2? (Video Included)

Its not really due to lack of a top sensor right? The front vision looked simply unable to avoid the thin and potentially moving branch.

I don't think a top sensor would have prevented that. Looks like it was tried to catch up real fast and the system wasn't able to react fast enough because of the light conditions? I would think going from bright light to shade so fast might throw off the system.

Its not really due to lack of a top sensor right? The front vision looked simply unable to avoid the thin and potentially moving branch.

The problem im noticing with the new MA2 follow me is that it stays too far behind, and then to catch up it suddenly bursts forward just like in your video, this is where collisions happen because even with APAS it takes a split nano second to stop the motion of the drone. If the MA2 could follow a little closer and also us apas I think the result would be better for everyone. I hate looking back to see if its lost or whatever when Im using it, I have had it also loose track of me and burst forward almost cutting my neck.

Reactions: Brandaloo
The problem im noticing with the new MA2 follow me is that it stays too far behind, and then to catch up it suddenly bursts forward just like in your video, this is where collisions happen because even with APAS it takes a split nano second to stop the motion of the drone. If the MA2 could follow a little closer and also us apas I think the result would be better for everyone. I hate looking back to see if its lost or whatever when Im using it, I have had it also loose track of me and burst forward almost cutting my neck.
Agree, many of the recent APAS / active track crash happens when you see the aircraft burst forward from a long distance, and it usually only flies in one direction without more careful avoidance.

Neither does it have side sensors, nor top sensor. But it did very well until it did this. I mean, I was blown away by how it followed me until this point.
An example video is there on the link;
I seen videos where it crashes more going backwards when filming you because of the sensors. People are saying its safer following you from behind as long as you don't go to fast of course.

Hello pilots!

After testing MA2 Active Track capabilities, I decided to take it on a challenging flight yesterday and it did well! I posted a thread yesterday about it:

However today, I took my MA2 through a woodlands ride expecting it to perform the same as it did yesterday and it was okay for about 10 minutes until it did this:

However, now I have my drone with a dented bumper and a few scratches, but everything else works perfectly! Could you please look at the pictures below which shows the damage to the plastic bumper and recommend how to get it fixed please?!

(And, I have promised to my self not to make this bird suffer like it did again! ?)

View attachment 101675
View attachment 101676
View attachment 101677
View attachment 101674
My first reaction when watching your video was "wow, this drone could actually do the same obstacle avoidance than the Skydio 2!"... But look like not really though. I may be wrong, but from the drone specs and advertising videos I saw so far, don't think this DJI drone was build for this kind of heavy obstacle course that dense forest are.

If you are planing on doing those kind of follow up a bike inside a dense forest kind of video more often, the only drone that have proven to be the best for this, was the Skydio 2. :cool:

Reactions: mithatrone
Neither does it have side sensors, nor top sensor. But it did very well until it did this. I mean, I was blown away by how it followed me until this point.
An example video is there on the link;

I agree. That is impressive performance. I almost felt bad for the little thing trying to figure out how to get around or through the branches at the end!

I let my buddy fly mine (he's upgrading from the Karma) and he took it (in sports mode) flat-out into a tree. I really don't think the tree did much if any damage as it was very full of leaves and kind-of acted like a cushion. It was getting it down from the tree that did the damage (I believe) as it hit a metal fence and landed on concrete.

Good news for me (I guess) is I have DJI Care Refresh. He's paying the $69.00 replacement fee and bought me DJI Care Refresh+. Now how long I'll be without out a drone is a different story because DJI does ground shipping, I live in Florida and it's going to California and then back.

I let my buddy fly mine (he's upgrading from the Karma) and he took it (in sports mode) flat-out into a tree. I really don't think the tree did much if any damage as it was very full of leaves and kind-of acted like a cushion. It was getting it down from the tree that did the damage (I believe) as it hit a metal fence and landed on concrete.

Good news for me (I guess) is I have DJI Care Refresh. He's paying the $69.00 replacement fee and bought me DJI Care Refresh+. Now how long I'll be without out a drone is a different story because DJI does ground shipping, I live in Florida and it's going to California and then back.
Hope he's buying the beers until your new drone arrives!!

It was getting it down from the tree that did the damage (I believe) as it hit a metal fence and landed on concrete.
How bad was the damage? So far I have dropped my MA2 twice on to tarmac from a considerable height (~5m) but only got few scratches here and there with a front bumper damaged as shown on the picture. Apart from that the drone flies flawless and I am planning to claim the DJI care replacement near to the end of the year...

How bad was the damage? So far I have dropped my MA2 twice on to tarmac from a considerable height (~5m) but only got few scratches here and there with a front bumper damaged as shown on the picture. Apart from that the drone flies flawless and I am planning to claim the DJI care replacement near to the end of the year...
It fell from about 40 feet up in the tree, I should have taken pictures but the front cowl was completely out of shape (one side pushed way out) and one of the front landing gear was broken. I actually changed the battery and it flew fine.

Yikes!!! Lawsuit! ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s