DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Amazon security drone on sale

Reactions: Hidden
I never even knew this was a thing. I remember a few years back (at least it feels that long ago) someone posted what looked like a rumor. Never knew it actually turned into something. It just seemed so ridiculous the advertising video. Like, if someone's stealing in the house, the sound of the drone would scare them away, likely, before it could even reach the intruder.

Just what everyone mush have: a Ring enabled camera police can use searching for evidence. Yes, Ring - the people that sell this new 'drone' and doorbell cams - has contracts with police departments so they can search camera footage looking for crimes.

The problem I see here is if the protections mentioned in the article were to slip.

Provided that the ownership of the cameras is not disclosed to LE, and it requires explicit owner consent to share the videos then it's simply a more efficient method to request help than going via local media.

However, if LE were to go to court to get from Ring a list of all local camera owners and then get access to video, that would be a problem. While in principle no different to walking the neighborhood and looking for cameras that they could potentially request access to via the courts, it certainly feels much worse.

The problem I see here is if the protections mentioned in the article were to slip.

Provided that the ownership of the cameras is not disclosed to LE, and it requires explicit owner consent to share the videos then it's simply a more efficient method to request help than going via local media.
I'm drifting pretty far off the drone topic here, but since DJI is probably doing this, too ...

Ring requires an account, and the moment you opt in - your info is out there. With Amazon devices, like Alexa hubs or Fire tablets, you join these systems without the option to opt in; though some devices allow you to opt out, it's not easy.

My personal issue with Ring is the fact most users click yes without reading what they are giving up - falling victim to the simplest wording Ring can come up with that meets the legal minimums to scoop up everything about them. Much like Facebook Google and and other data collectors. But that's true of just about any smart cloud linked device these days, including drones like DJI's.

This is where businesses like Ring and Amazon are getting too creepy (and since DJI sends all of your drone flight data home to China - I'm thinking DJI is doing similar):
Join your Neighborhood
Ring Neighborhoods expands the Ring of Security from your home to your neighborhood by letting you easily share and communicate with your neighbors about crime and safety, so you have up-to-date local crime data at your fingertips. We believe that knowledge and communication fosters stronger and safer communities. It's free and you're automatically signed up!

The benefits of Amazon Sidewalk

Amazon Sidewalk creates a low-bandwidth network with the help of Sidewalk Bridge devices including select Echo and Ring devices. These Bridge devices share a small portion of your internet bandwidth which is pooled together to provide these services to you and your neighbors. And when more neighbors participate, the network becomes even stronger.

I'm drifting pretty far off the drone topic here, but since DJI is probably doing this, too ...

Ring requires an account, and the moment you opt in - your info is out there. With Amazon devices, like Alexa hubs or Fire tablets, you join these systems without the option to opt in; though some devices allow you to opt out, it's not easy.

My personal issue with Ring is the fact most users click yes without reading what they are giving up - falling victim to the simplest wording Ring can come up with that meets the legal minimums to scoop up everything about them. Much like Facebook Google and and other data collectors. But that's true of just about any smart cloud linked device these days, including drones like DJI's.

This is where businesses like Ring and Amazon are getting too creepy (and since DJI sends all of your drone flight data home to China - I'm thinking DJI is doing similar):
DJI only syncs your flight data to their servers if you want them to do that. But, more generally, these are the privacy tradeoffs that one faces when considering whether or not to use cloud services of any kind. It's personal choice.

Reactions: eEridani
DJI only syncs your flight data to their servers if you want them to do that. But, more generally, these are the privacy tradeoffs that one faces when considering whether or not to use cloud services of any kind. It's personal choice.
Agree 100%. Though I am reasonably sure I did NOT specifically agree to uploading my flight logs automatically after every flight. If I did, it was buried in the license I HAD to agree to to 1) fly my drone; or 2) purchase the Care package insurance for fly-aways. My understanding when registering was that IF I had a flyway, DJI could use my logs. But - as in all things legal: caveat-emptor.

Agree 100%. Though I am reasonably sure I did NOT specifically agree to uploading my flight logs automatically after every flight. If I did, it was buried in the license I HAD to agree to to 1) fly my drone; or 2) purchase the Care package insurance for fly-aways. My understanding when registering was that IF I had a flyway, DJI could use my logs. But - as in all things legal: caveat-emptor.
It's not an agreement - it's a simple setting in the app. As for DJI using the logs if you lose the drone, you can simply send them from your mobile device or controller.

I never even knew this was a thing. I remember a few years back (at least it feels that long ago) someone posted what looked like a rumor. Never knew it actually turned into something. It just seemed so ridiculous the advertising video. Like, if someone's stealing in the house, the sound of the drone would scare them away, likely, before it could even reach the intruder.

Well, that's how sometimes humankind creates things; Some say ideas and do not believe in them. However, others, really do. And the next decade we have planes, tanks, radio, internet, and even drones like these, heh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost