DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android 11 Kills the Fly App

Yeah, A11 was having problems in beta, then the release. Still no joy with fly, yet! On IOS, still no issues. Waiting for a future update at anytime for Android.

Yeah, A11 was having problems in beta, then the release. Still no joy with fly, yet! On IOS, still no issues. Waiting for a future update at anytime for Android.
They had a long time to fix it in beta. It's not like the full release was a surprise. I'm kind of disappointed. I have a third phone that's having the battery replaced now. I might be able to use that one with the fly app.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
Anyone try "Fly" on a beta of IOS 14?

Is just about time to make it to work.

I have two phones I updated to Android 11, and now the Fly App does not work. I wish I had known this before I updated both. DJI had about six months to fix this but didn't. So now I am grounded - great...
Never a good idea to update to the latest OS for your device without first verifying that others have had no issues with it. Word to the wise: do not update the OS and turn off auto-updates to protect your flying app, unless you like surprises! Those of us who have been around a while always sandbox our systems so this cannot happen. Use a dedicated device for flying, and if it ain't broke, don't go fixin' it! ;)

Never a good idea to update to the latest OS for your device without first verifying that others have had no issues with it. Word to the wise: do not update the OS and turn off auto-updates to protect your flying app, unless you like surprises! Those of us who have been around a while always sandbox our systems so this cannot happen. Use a dedicated device for flying, and if it ain't broke, don't go fixin' it! ;)
I have almost 100 apps on my phone, so it is hard for me to wait to upgrade "without first verifying that others have had no issues with it" for each and every app. This is not just an OS update; it is also a security update. In any case, it is irrelevant how long I wait, the more important point is why DJI didn't update its app with many months of lead time. BTW, Android does not have auto-update.

I have almost 100 apps on my phone, so it is hard for me to wait to upgrade "without first verifying that others have had no issues with it" for each and every app. This is not just an OS update; it is also a security update. In any case, it is irrelevant how long I wait, the more important point is why DJI didn't update its app with many months of lead time. BTW, Android does not have auto-update.

A lot of developers wait until the final, official release to finish development of an app for a new OS.

I may be wrong, but Android 11 is not in full release as of yet. In fact, I think it is only available on a handful of phones. It doesn't surprise me that DJI has not completely updated to work with Android 11 yet - considering it is so early in the release of that OS. I am sure it is a pain in the...for you and I hope you can find an alternative device or someway to get past this - and hopefully you won't have to wait much longer until DJI catches up.

DJI Fly 1.1.8 is out according to the DJI forum.

A lot of developers wait until the final, official release to finish development of an app for a new OS.

Then they are doing it wrong.:) If you are doing commercial app development, then being aware of breaking changes in the OS is just part of the process. For the last few years, Apple and Google have released new versions in the Fall. You plan the beta OS testing in the Summer. It's annoying, but it's just one of the things that you need to do.

The point of having beta releases of Android and iOS is for developers to test their apps to make sure that they will work with the next release. Both Google and Apple document the breaking changes. If the app breaks because of that change, then the developer can update the app to handle that change and push out a new release. If they find an issue in July, they don't need to wait for September to push the release out. They can always push out another release if something else changes.

I may be wrong, but Android 11 is not in full release as of yet. In fact, I think it is only available on a handful of phones. It doesn't surprise me that DJI has not completely updated to work with Android 11 yet - considering it is so early in the release of that OS. I am sure it is a pain in the...for you and I hope you can find an alternative device or someway to get past this - and hopefully you won't have to wait much longer until DJI catches up.
It's officially released as of September 8th. It's not just available for the Pixel, other brands are getting it rolled out now. The betas were available for months. DJI dropped the ball on this one. I'm sure they are scrambling to get new Android versions out, but this is just sloppiness on their part.

Android 11 is in full release. It is not in beta anymore. However, as usual, some phone manufacturers and carriers are slow to offer the update. That's why I never buy those phones. I should have my old OnePlus 6 back from battery replacement next week with Android 10 on it. DJI has a real problem with the Fly app - I have yet to get an update on it. I always have to delete it and reinstall.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King