DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android 11 Kills the Fly App

It's officially released as of September 8th. It's not just available for the Pixel, other brands are getting it rolled out now. The betas were available for months. DJI dropped the ball on this one. I'm sure they are scrambling to get new Android versions out, but this is just sloppiness on their part.
Seems like Google knows to keep their own software off their own devices... not much confidence there, or a lack of compatibility,

Android is all over the map, DJI could have indeed been testing for V11, though we may never know for sure, its not like they advertise that.,.. they may have just encountered problems and more problems with each version, now that is supposedly released, now perhaps they can actually make a version that works for a non-moving target..

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
Seems like Google knows to keep their own software off their own devices... not much confidence there, or a lack of compatibility,
The Google Pixel phones were the first to get Android 11...

Android is all over the map, DJI could have indeed been testing for V11, though we may never know for sure, its not like they advertise that.,.. they may have just encountered problems and more problems with each version, now that is supposedly released, now perhaps they can actually make a version that works for a non-moving target..

Since people have reported that Litchi is working under Android 11. My guess is a permissions issue is what is blowing it out of the water. AFAIK, Litchi uses DJI's SDK to communicate with the RC and the drone, so that part of the code is probably fine. Taking a peek at some of the extra permissions that the GO 4 app is using, it appears to be using some device virtualization library from Huawei. I don't know why they used it, anything that is based on virtualization has more things to worry about when the OS changes.

Reactions: MaverickMavicMark
That would be a version number for DJI Go 4, not DJI Fly.
Thanks, I thought it was the same thing. What's the difference? Does the Android 11 update affect Go 4 in the same way?

Ok, just found this at Why the Mavic 3 will use the DJI Fly app and not DJI GO 4 - DroneDJ :
"Slow and steady improvements
Over the last few months DJI has improved the Fly app with various updates by adding new features, getting the app closer to the GO 4 app. To me, this suggests that DJI could do the same with the Mavic 3 once it’s released. DJI will likely update the app to bring in the features you can find in the DJI GO 4 app and those specifically created for the Mavic 3.

Under the hood

Looking at DJI Fly under the hood uncovers that the app file is titled dji.go.v5, suggesting that the Fly app is in fact DJI GO 5 with a shorter and logical name for those just getting into the hobby with the Mavic line of drones. Looking at the images below, you can see the main file is dji.go.v5, and within the folder the DJI FLY folder can be found."

I use the Go 4 with the Mavic Pro Platinum, using a Samsung Galaxy S10+ as additional screen. I haven't been offered the Android 11 update yet, will hold off until there's clarity.

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought it was the same thing. What's the difference? Does the Android 11 update affect Go 4 in the same way?

I use the Go 4 with the Mavic Pro Platinum, using a Samsung Galaxy S10+ as additional screen. I haven't been offered the Android 11 update yet, will hold off until there's clarity.

DJI Go 4 is used for most previous generations of DJI Drones, DJI Fly is for the newer models starting with the Mavic Mini and Mavic Air 2, and probably any other new drone that DJI may eventually release. That may include the discussed Mavic 3, which who knows when that may actually be announced, much less shipped.. Time will tell..

As far as compatibility for DJI Go 4 with Android 11, not sure , using Fly... with MA2. It will probably come up somewhere soon if there is an issue.

Spend $100 on a Kindle Fire 10 and you'll have a great controller platform. I don't have the installation instructions handy, but found them easily with a google search.

The perils of being an early adopter. I always wait to see what happens. Thanks for letting us know.

I am still wizzed off that DJI told us that there would soon be a upgrade for the Smart Controller. Of course 6 months after buying my MA2 still not compatible with the SC. I am beginning to believe they use deceptive sales tactics to get people to buy their stuff.

Reactions: Jam0ne
I am still wizzed off that DJI told us that there would soon be a upgrade for the Smart Controller. Of course 6 months after buying my MA2 still not compatible with the SC. I am beginning to believe they use deceptive sales tactics to get people to buy their stuff.
My two cents, while I think that eventually this upgrade will appear. if its the only reason you decided to get a MA2, perhaps you should have waited till it actually was available..

If it doesn't appear, hopefully DJI will be forth-coming enough to say why. Perhaps there is some technical reason its taking longer, or perhaps they are waiting for the Mavic 3... Who knows..

I have two phones I updated to Android 11, and now the Fly App does not work. I wish I had known this before I updated both. DJI had about six months to fix this but didn't. So now I am grounded - great...
Thanks for the heads up! I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 4+ and I know they have started pushing out the next version O. S. for Android.
I will wait to update until it's safe.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the heads up! I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 4+ and I know they have started pushing out the next version O. S. for Android.
I will wait to update until it's safe.
Thanks again.

No worries, your Note 4 will never get Android 11 (Samsung only updated that to Android 6)

What about the people who will be buying their first DJI product in the next few weeks, only to find it either doesn't work with their phone when they unbox it, or it stops working for some unknown reason a short while after. I have an old Motorola 1 for flying and a Samsung for all the usual smartphone stuff. I might update the Samsung OS and see what happens if I try to use that.

I have almost 100 apps on my phone, so it is hard for me to wait to upgrade "without first verifying that others have had no issues with it" for each and every app. This is not just an OS update; it is also a security update. In any case, it is irrelevant how long I wait, the more important point is why DJI didn't update its app with many months of lead time. BTW, Android does not have auto-update.
You apparently missed the last sentence of my post.
"Use a dedicated device for flying."
This was pilot error! ?

What about the people who will be buying their first DJI product in the next few weeks, only to find it either doesn't work with their phone when they unbox it, or it stops working for some unknown reason a short while after. I have an old Motorola 1 for flying and a Samsung for all the usual smartphone stuff. I might update the Samsung OS and see what happens if I try to use that.

I think I have seen posts that a new version of Fly is available for Droid 11.. so if they get the latest version of the app, they'll probably be fine.

DJI should probably include a compatibility sheet in the box, so that customers are not frustrated trying to get their new drone up and flying only to run into compatibility issues..

This issue is probably more prevalent on Android than IOS.. With IOS it maybe more of an issue with having a new enough iPhone to run the app then whether its compatible with the version of IOS on the iPhone since many older iPhones can run current versions of IOS, but may need more processing power to run "Fly" properly. Probably the same for iPads..

I have a Google Pixel 3 on Android 10, used latest DJI Fly App 1.1.8 with my Mavic Mini and sometimes the app doesn't connect to the drone but I could operate it and fly but no video, battery status, etc displayed on the phone which was weird. I got the Android 11 update reminder these past few days but was curious due to these experiences by other people, I wasn't too worried if my Pixel 3 didn't work with DJI Fly app since I actually use my other backup phones (Google Pixel 1 and Oneplus 3T) still on Android 9 to fly my Mini. When I did update my Pixel 3 to Android 11 the DJI Fly app actually worked perfectly, the app's display orientation was upside down at first and would not rotate but when I restarted the phone, the display rotated correctly. I guess maybe when you upgrade your OS you just need to restart your phone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.