DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android Note 8: Airplane Mode On, GPS still Works...

davemgood

Reactions
I have a Note 8 in Airplane Mode and the phone's GPS still works. Not sure about other phones, but it's because GPS is only receiving a signal, not transmitting, which is a possible interruption to an airplane's electronics during take-off and landing.

The GPS chip in a phone or tablet is receive only. That is why it remains active in airplane mode. What I noticed on my Android tablet is that I can still transmit via Bluetooth while in airplane mode so I now make sure that it is also shut off.

Reactions: davemgood
Airplane mode just disconnects the phone network. GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth should work in airplane mode. That's why airlines can offer WiFi in flight. I'll use my GPS in flight to track the flight.

Airplane mode just disconnects the phone network. GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth should work in airplane mode. That's why airlines can offer WiFi in flight. I'll use my GPS in flight to track the flight.
Different devices may have different settings. Airplane mode on my Android tablet turns off WiFi.

Most will disable all transmissions but you can override which ones to stay on.
Planes now allow Wi-Fi and Bluetooth except during takeoff and landing so it makes sense those might stay on, especially if you've manually turned them on before in airplane mode.

Nice additional info.

Switching to Airplane mode on my phone turns of network, wifi, and Bluetooth. But I can manually turn wifi and BT back on while in airplane mode.
Must just be a single switch to turn them off.

Yes, airplane mode usually turns all active transmissions off (GPS is passive).
However because many environments will allow certain radio signals, you usually can turn them on individually without turning off airplane mode.
"airplane" mode got it's name when no radio transmissions were allowed on passenger planes. Now they provide Wi-Fi entertainment and internet, and allow use of Bluetooth headsets. I'm sure we forget about our peripherals such as Fitbits that always have their BT on.

Map view might be blank for lack of update from internet, but you can cache it from Wi-Fi if your flight location doesn't have Wi-Fi.

Reactions: Kilrah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maviclake