DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android phone stopped showing video stream on Mavic Air 2

rjones

Reactions
HI All. I got my Mavic Air 2 a couple of weeks ago, and it's certainly impressive. I've taken it out four times now with no problems. But today, after flying for a few minutes, the video feed on my phone went black. I was still able to take photos and video, but I just was no longer getting the live stream while flying. I tried landing, turning off the aircraft and the RC, then starting them back up, but it didn't help. Any ideas what has happened? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Reactions: FluffyButt
No idea really but I will say this. I had a Galaxy S10e and had a lot of problems with many interactive apps. DJI Drone, DJI gimbal, Edelkrone slider, Nikon control. Crazy glitchy stuff. Sometimes I could restart the phone. Sometimes I had to delete and reinstall the application. I swapped it for an Iphone 12 and now everything works with no issues. Night and day.

HI All. I got my Mavic Air 2 a couple of weeks ago, and it's certainly impressive. I've taken it out four times now with no problems. But today, after flying for a few minutes, the video feed on my phone went black. I was still able to take photos and video, but I just was no longer getting the live stream while flying. I tried landing, turning off the aircraft and the RC, then starting them back up, but it didn't help. Any ideas what has happened? Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Video feed is almost always the cable going from device and controller. I you ever encounter it again remove from the device first and then reinsert to see if you get picture back. Then try controller side. If you happen to be using USB-C you can also try rotating the connector 180°. If none of these work you might want to look into getting a new data cable as it is a known failure point that causes this issue. I always order mine with 3-4 new ones on hand. They are just too fragile and far to many people are just jamming them in and not storing them correctly, or putting undo stress on connection point, and get intermittent connection.

Last edited:
I have had this problem (intermittently) and also video freezing on all my DJI drones, even Autel. It occassionally just happens. Sometimes I had to reset the software, sometimes the controller and sometimes the aircraft itself. I also had to replace a data cable once. Sometimes the phone itself needs to be restarted. There are a lot of reasons for this problem.

Video feed is almost always the cable going from device and controller. I you ever encounter it again remove from the device first and then reinsert to see if you get picture back. Then try controller side. If you happen to be using USB-C you can also try rotating the connector 180°. If none of these work you might want to look into getting a new data cable as it is a known failure point that causes this issue. I always order mine with 3-4 new ones on hand. They are just too fragile and far to many people are just jamming them in and not storing them correctly, or putting undo stress on connection point, and get intermittent connection.
Thanks for the advice! I am using USB-C, and the cable seems to be in fine shape and seated properly, but I'll try it!

I have had this problem (intermittently) and also video freezing on all my DJI drones, even Autel. It occassionally just happens. Sometimes I had to reset the software, sometimes the controller and sometimes the aircraft itself. I also had to replace a data cable once. Sometimes the phone itself needs to be restarted. There are a lot of reasons for this problem.
Thanks. I will keep trying things, then. :-/

No idea really but I will say this. I had a Galaxy S10e and had a lot of problems with many interactive apps. DJI Drone, DJI gimbal, Edelkrone slider, Nikon control. Crazy glitchy stuff. Sometimes I could restart the phone. Sometimes I had to delete and reinstall the application. I swapped it for an Iphone 12 and now everything works with no issues. Night and day.
Thanks. I'm using a Moto G Power. It's not the best phone in the world, but I haven't had this kind of problem with anything else, and it also has been find with the Mavic until it suddenly stopped in the middle of a flight.

Reactions: SmilingOgre
Thanks. I'm using a Moto G Power. It's not the best phone in the world, but I haven't had this kind of problem with anything else, and it also has been find with the Mavic until it suddenly stopped in the middle of a flight.
Interesting... I bought the Moto G Power just for the drone, so far it's been flawless over the past 2 months.

Interesting... I bought the Moto G Power just for the drone, so far it's been flawless over the past 2 months.
That is encouraging, actually. I'm hoping it's just the cable. I have tons of cables, so I will do some experimenting. Too much work to do this weekend, but I'll report back when I get to try some things out. :)

Hi, this happend to me before and the reason was that the Fly App has the option to store a 720p file of the video stream you are seeing in your phone; once the phone storage is full it stops the video stream from the drone. Once I deleted the files and the phone had storage space available the video stream returned as usual.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Hi, this happend to me before and the reason was that the Fly App has the option to store a 720p file of the video stream you are seeing in your phone; once the phone storage is full it stops the video stream from the drone. Once I deleted the files and the phone had storage space available the video stream returned as usual.

Hope this helps.
Well that's interesting. I'm not sure if that's what happened to me, but I'll check for it. Are you saying you deleted the files from the album in the DJI FLY app? Or are you talking about different files?

Well that's interesting. I'm not sure if that's what happened to me, but I'll check for it. Are you saying you deleted the files from the album in the DJI FLY app? Or are you talking about different files?
Well in my case I deleted the video files in DJI/dji.go.v5/DJI FLY/VIDEO/OriginalFiles/Video

But the important thing here is to make sure you have storage space available in your phone if you have this option activaded in the Fly App.

I have this issue occur once every few weeks. My solution has been an easy one. Tap the "back arrow" to return to the home screen and then tap "GO FLY" to return to the camera view.

Sometimes the video comes back on the first try and sometimes the second try.

Attachments

• screen-20210221-133842_exported_0_1614526122774.jpg
    screen-20210221-133842_exported_0_1614526122774.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the advice! I am using USB-C, and the cable seems to be in fine shape and seated properly, but I'll try it!
Like I said previously, I have had this problem for many reasons. The cable going bad was a one time event. It was a USB3 to USBC mini cable (the connector that can flip both ways). Over a year, I had a video issue about 8 times, each time I fixed it. The only time I couldn't was when the cable was bad. This only occurred once. Just the other day, I was flying with an Iphone 12 max pro. The video froze when I was flying back. The only way to fix it that time in particular was to turn off the drone itself and restart it. The phone, controller , software and cable were fine. There are lots of things that cause video feed to fail.

Just the other day, I was flying with an Iphone 12 max pro. The video froze when I was flying back. The only way to fix it that time in particular was to turn off the drone itself and restart it.
Not in the air, presumably. ;)

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I just got my Air 2 and have flown it 3 times when my screen went back but I could still take video and photos. Did you find out what wen wrong? I'm still trying to figure it out.

This is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I just got my Air 2 and have flown it 3 times when my screen went back but I could still take video and photos. Did you find out what wen wrong? I'm still trying to figure it out.
Try restarting your phone and/or reinstall the app. If that doesn't work, try another cable. I've had this happen to me with the DJI air 2.. What I did was, I restarted the app while the aircraft was still in the air and the video came back up. I also had a situation where I had to turn off the remote and unplug and plug the cable back in, This worked also. I did this in mid flight also. When disconnected, the aircraft did start to return home, but stopped after the app reinitiated and the cable was plugged back in. There are lots of reasons for the video to go black. I have only scratched the surface.

Try restarting your phone and/or reinstall the app. If that doesn't work, try another cable. I've had this happen to me with the DJI air 2.. What I did was, I restarted the app while the aircraft was still in the air and the video came back up. I also had a situation where I had to turn off the remote and unplug and plug the cable back in, This worked also. I did this in mid flight also. When disconnected, the aircraft did start to return home, but stopped after the app reinitiated and the cable was plugged back in. There are lots of reasons for the video to go black. I have only scratched the surface.
I'll try this when I fly today. Thank you very much!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078