Android tablet working. Asus Zenpad z8s for Mavic Air 2

• Thread starter Deleted member 136962
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 136962

Hi folks!

So I can say that the older Asus Zenpad z8s (granted with Verizon crap) is working!

My biggest issue was getting something that would allow me to actually see the screen. I can run my 5th Gen iPad but the brightness stinks. Even on the highest brightness it simply does not get it done for me.

Now this "older tablet" does work. I could also download the DJI Fly app and with simple tests here in the house it seems like everything is working fine.

The TRUE test will be tomorrow when I have some daylight. But so far so good.

Still trying to figure out some options on the tablet but I "think" this will work!

I'll post up some results from tomorrow.

Mike :)

PS....I got this thru Amazon's refurb section. If you go this route, please get the most recent update/version of this 8" Tablet. There are a couple of versions out there and I simply went with the latest one (P00J)

The 5th gen Ipad is technically more powerful and brighter than the Asus Zenpad z8s according to the specs.

The 5th gen Ipad is technically more powerful and brighter than the Asus Zenpad z8s according to the specs.

I can only say what I "SEE" from my old eyes. Thus far the Zenpad z8s is way brighter than the iPad.....will see tomorrow when I test it in actual conditions

I can always return it so lets see how it works in reality

Reactions: jpabello
I've been using the Asus z8s for a month or two now and it works great!! I made a shade for it and it's perfect in midday sun. My measure of functionality is if I can see the word "calibrate" in blue on the black safety screen its good enuf....and I can.

origami sunshade

Last edited:
I made a shade for it and it's perfect in midday sun.

Nice little arts and craft project.

looks like a stage cover for a miniature amphitheater. :)

So the little zenpad z8s is working well. I ran into a bit of a snag with the maps since it does not have a data or phone plan with Verizon.

I am still experimenting but for some reason the “offline mode” for google maps did not work like on my fifth Gen iPad (not the mini)

On the third flight yesterday I had all the map info w/o any connections so going to test it again tomorrow.
I fully realize w/o cell or WiFi the maps won’t update. However, this does work on the old iPad.

So next step is to go to the mountains and see what happens with the old iPad, current iPhone, and the zenpad.

I won’t know until I try.

I haven't had the need to test this but I've read that if you open the fly app while you have a connection and scroll to the location that you'll be flying, the fly app will cache the map for you.

You may want to zoom in and out a bit and scroll around so that it caches the whole flight area.

Please post back if this really does work.

It does work! However the places we go do not have service.

Google does allow for offline maps and I have used that, albeit sparsely, with the MA2 on my old iPad. I have gone a few miles from the house but have to get either pad to look at a map before leaving.

I run Gaia maps for all our travels and have everything from Nat Geo maps to USFS MAPS.

It would be cool if the DJI stuff could utilize that

BTW although I prefer the tablet mount on the right for the Asus z8s because its wider, the left mount works20201031_234546.jpg better as its a little longer and does not strain the phone mount/antenna.
The shorter, wider mount (on the right) pulls the controller mount out to its full stops.
If it was 2 cm longer, it'd be perfect.
Both are on Amazon for <$10

Last edited:
Hi folks!

So I can say that the older Asus Zenpad z8s (granted with Verizon crap) is working!

My biggest issue was getting something that would allow me to actually see the screen. I can run my 5th Gen iPad but the brightness stinks. Even on the highest brightness it simply does not get it done for me.

Now this "older tablet" does work. I could also download the DJI Fly app and with simple tests here in the house it seems like everything is working fine.

The TRUE test will be tomorrow when I have some daylight. But so far so good.

Still trying to figure out some options on the tablet but I "think" this will work!

I'll post up some results from tomorrow.

Mike :)

PS....I got this thru Amazon's refurb section. If you go this route, please get the most recent update/version of this 8" Tablet. There are a couple of versions out there and I simply went with the latest one (P00J)
Hi Folks,

With regrets I will no longer be participating in this forum.

Fly Safely!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser