DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Android user strongly considering iPad mini 4...have one question!

The iPad mini 4 is complete garbage. I am an android guy myself and after many months I finally decided to get an iPad mini 4. Let me just say... This thing can not perform during daylight when it is hot out whatsoever. The feed lags like a mother when it's only been in the sun for a few minutes. I'm about to throw mine out the window. I have done literally every single tweak possible to try and fix it, but to no avail. I've even tried disabling useful features like caching video and that made no difference. My review of it is 3/10 because when it works its great, but when it doesn't it ruins my shots because the feed is horrible.

The iPad mini 4 is complete garbage. I am an android guy myself and after many months I finally decided to get an iPad mini 4. Let me just say... This thing can not perform during daylight when it is hot out whatsoever. The feed lags like a mother when it's only been in the sun for a few minutes. I'm about to throw mine out the window. I have done literally every single tweak possible to try and fix it, but to no avail. I've even tried disabling useful features like caching video and that made no difference. My review of it is 3/10 because when it works its great, but when it doesn't it ruins my shots because the feed is horrible.

I would assume you are running the newest Go app version and newest ios? if so that is most likely why you are having problems with lag :( I have heard people having problems running newer Go app version with the ipad mini 4 I use one to but I am running older ios AND older dji go app version.
what size do you have? meaning 128,64, etc?

I would assume you are running the newest Go app version and newest ios? if so that is most likely why you are having problems with lag :( I have heard people having problems running newer Go app version with the ipad mini 4 I use one to but I am running older ios AND older dji go app version.
what size do you have? meaning 128,64, etc?
I think I have the 64gb cellular. It honestly only stops working in sunlight on hot days. Hell, sometimes I even boot up dji go 4 and get a cpu overload error when I did a fresh restart. I've done literally everything to it to make sure it runs like brand new, but nothing seems to work.

I think I have the 64gb cellular. It honestly only stops working in sunlight on hot days. ****, sometimes I even boot up dji go 4 and get a cpu overload error when I did a fresh restart. I've done literally everything to it to make sure it runs like brand new, but nothing seems to work.

so you are running a newer version of go app? one thing you can try is run older go app the older ones don't seem to use as much cpu power hence letting the unit run cooler. do you uses a tablet holder for the ipad mini or just the controller to hold it?

Well folks, I flew twice this past weekend with my Samsung s8 and had a blast. No app issues that I could see. But one thing I noticed right off the bat was I can't see the @#$%^^&*& screen on my phone, especially in the Texas sun. I addition I have big hands which makes touching individual icons on the phone difficult...especially when the OH CRAP!! times occured..(not to many of those as of yet!) Anyway tonight I bought Apple Ipad 5th generation 32G wi-fi +gsm unlocked, 9.7in screen,with case and screen protector for $328.00. And I ordered a mavmount using the coupon code offered here coupled with the fact they are on sale...those look like a high quality product! So hopefully this will all do the job.

Reactions: TerKelDing
Well folks, I flew twice this past weekend with my Samsung s8 and had a blast. No app issues that I could see. But one thing I noticed right off the bat was I can't see the @#$%^^&*& screen on my phone, especially in the Texas sun. I addition I have big hands which makes touching individual icons on the phone difficult...especially when the OH CRAP!! times occured..(not to many of those as of yet!) Anyway tonight I bought Apple Ipad 5th generation 32G wi-fi +gsm unlocked, 9.7in screen,with case and screen protector for $328.00. And I ordered a mavmount using the coupon code offered here coupled with the fact they are on sale...those look like a high quality product! So hopefully this will all do the job.
I use a Mavmount with my iPad mini 4 and iPad Pro 9.7 and it is awesome! You will love it!

Reactions: Greenflash
And my $50 Android Wunderphone is still working flawlessly with every update in bright sunlight and full video caching to phone. Never faulted once. XT2 more than Wunderphone, its a MAGICPHONE.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
I wouldn't bother with the cellular version. If your phone has a hotspot feature, as iPhones do, you can use that to beam out a cellular signal via Wifi. For the few times you might use it -- to download maps or whatever -- that's all you really need.

I agree, I use my Samsung S7 as a hotspot to my iPad mini 4 and works great. No need for cellular

And my $50 Android Wunderphone is still working flawlessly with every update in bright sunlight and full video caching to phone. Never faulted once. XT2 more than Wunderphone, its a MAGICPHONE.

Same here...I can't figure out why this phone works out so well. The only thing I can speculate is that it's Huawei, and maybe Huawei's android ports get more testing by DJI.

LP

I would dearly love to know how to do that! It's exactly what I want, providing you're caching the satellite imagery along with the road map. Can you clarify that?

I'm asking if it is possible (on an iPad Mini 4) to:
A) download complete, detailed location data for (multiple?) remote site(s)--road maps, sure, but most importantly: satellite imagery--from Google (Earth? Maps?) online (and do whatever preparatory work is needed), and then
B) travel to the remote site(s), where there is no internet connectivity whatsoever, and then
C) open DJI Go 4, connect with your drone, and see the 'cached' map data--satellite imagery in particular--for that site integrated into the map view, without further user actions (again, beyond the preparatory work included in step A).

If so, can you point me to a source that explains the procedure? Or give a quick summary yourself? I would pull a tooth for that information!

Again, if the satellite imagery is not part of the data set, then I'm just not interested. I can get a blank 'roadmap' view with no trouble at all.
The procedure to download GOOGLE maps to the cache is to open google maps, then go to the area that you want to cache, and in the search bar, type "ok maps". This will come up with a screen that lets you refine the area selection and then download it to cache.
This works both on android and iOS devices (just checked it again with an iPhone 7).

But, and here is a big but... I think that the DJI Go app doesn't use google maps but another map system. So this shouldn't really work. I would have to check this though, maybe they changed maps software.

I think that the DJI Go app doesn't use google maps but another map system. So this shouldn't really work. I would have to check this though, maybe they changed maps software.
That shouldn't work in either current version of DJI GO since they don't use Google Maps.

Reactions: Prismatic
Same here...I can't figure out why this phone works out so well. The only thing I can speculate is that it's Huawei, and maybe Huawei's android ports get more testing by DJI.

LP
I doubt DJI has tested an Android device in a while. They don't seem to care at all. This problem has been going on since around May. No fixes. No help really. It's users figuring out what to do. That and Apple sucking they do so the users on Android end up buying IOS products. I would guess 500 or more mini4's have been sold just in posts I have seen on FB, DJI, and other places.

I think I have the 64gb cellular. It honestly only stops working in sunlight on hot days. ****, sometimes I even boot up dji go 4 and get a cpu overload error when I did a fresh restart. I've done literally everything to it to make sure it runs like brand new, but nothing seems to work.
haha they don't work well when it's too cold below 32 degrees or anything over 88 on a hot day. I was in SC and could not even fly with it. Used my Note 8.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000