Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Annoying Wind Warnings

person 1: "My drone got blown away by the wind"
person 2: "Didn't you get the high wind warning?"
person 1: "I turned it off cos it was annoying me"
person 2: :rolleyes:

Reactions: SXViper03
Pretty sure that the first wind warning start at 6mph winds so you might not think thats windy but thats whats programed into the AC.. if you use an older FW you can change the wind warning mph in the parameter part of the old DJI Asst2...

Love these kinds of comments. I have a question for you.
When you get a high wind warning come up on the screen do you go and land straight away every time?
Or, do you use your own judgement and usually stay in the air?

While hovering in no or low wind, the "radar" image should show a centered horizon. You can test this on the ground by tilting the Mavic (motors turned off) and watching the display. If the display is not level when the Mavic is then a calibration is needed.

When you get a high wind warning come up on the screen do you go and land straight away every time?
Same bro. I just smh sometimes

First things first. Definitely do a compass calibration and reset anything you can. It's not hard to do, and the app steps you through it. Like Tinmania says, the MP uses data from it's correction pitch, yaw, power settings v. GPS apparent position change to decide if there are strong winds or not. It does not have the sophistication of larger aircraft that can scan the ground to determine ground speed v. air speed and direction. You might want to be sure the downward sensors are clean. I had a friend who put a big red, one meter long ribbon on the back of his quad, so he could see it better as it flew. Had to take it off, because the quad kept "seeing" the ribbon fluttering during certain maneuvers and taking odd maneuvers as a result. Great idea, but not so good in real-life execution. A bit of grass or other debris near a sensor could cause erroneous data. Something that might help you zero in on what the issue is, is to see if you can figure out if there's a specific flight maneuver that makes the warning come up. Does it happen when you're turning, hovering, flying fast, slow, straight line, climbing, etc, etc. And one last thing, just a thought I had. Have you crashed your quad hard, ever? One of the arms could conceivably be out of alignment, or doesn't fully extend due to damage, causing the quad to have to compensate with prop RPMs, and interpreting that as wind speed. Not likely, but there's a chance.
The compass has nothing to do with this.

While hovering in no or low wind, the "radar" image should show a centered horizon. You can test this on the ground by tilting the Mavic (motors turned off) and watching the display. If the display is not level when the Mavic is then a calibration is needed.
Cool. Thanks for the tip. I’ll check that.

Reactions: butterflyslicer
When I get wind warning, I KNOW there's higher wind up where it's flying so I am a bit more cautious and perhaps lower altitude where possible. It's better to be aware of your surroundings than be oblivious to it. How many people lost their drone, just because they feel no wind where they stand, and assume there no wind at the altitude where their drone is flying? Sometimes, people choose to be ignorant, and when things go wrong, they don't take responsibility.
And the high wind warning says fly with caution, not land immediately. So, that's what you are supposed to do. Not ignore, and not try to disable any warning that might feel inconvenient to you.

Just fly it with out the app if the screen feedback annoys you.
I see you don't want to find and fix the PROBLEM you have with your hardware.
Maybe play firmware bingo and see what happens..... Maybe it will work, maybe it wont. But it might be easier than trouble shooting.

The compass has nothing to do with this.

Tell that to the guy who crashed and, before final analysis was complete, was blamed for flying in crazy wind. In fact he wasn’t. It was mainly due to him taking off with the compass data not matching the actual heading of the aircraft, as well as without GPS lock. GPS eventually kicked in, the FC tried to make a correction, which was not the correct direction due to compass error, the FC thought it was fighting wind so tried to correct even harder—with the result of the aircraft flying quickly in an incorrect direction.

I for sure would find out what the actual problem was if I got wind warnings in dead calm air. That is not normal behavior.

Mike

You do understand that just because there is no breeze on the ground does not mean that the winds aloft are also nonexistent, no?
Exactly! Winds aloft can vary greatly from ground level to just 20 feet! Wind shear can be a caveat at higher altitudes too. And consider trees, buildings, and other ground structures that can alter wind speed and direction, even at very low altitudes.

OMG that is too funny!! Done that myself. Got 'Strong WiFi interference' warnings and totally ignored it because, 'it was annoying me'! Lol!

Exactly! Winds aloft can vary greatly from ground level to just 20 feet! Wind shear can be a caveat at higher altitudes too. And consider trees, buildings, and other ground structures that can alter wind speed and direction, even at very low altitudes.

What I think is funny is that you need a machine to tell you it is windy 20 feet in the air from where you are standing because as you say, it can be different from where you are standing and won't notice it.

I
How many people lost their drone, just because they feel no wind where they stand, and assume there no wind at the altitude where their drone is flying?

None that I know of.
Do you know of anyone that lost their drone due to excessive wind but can honestly say they didn't notice any wind?

Last edited:
When I get wind warning, I KNOW there's higher wind up where it's flying so I am a bit more cautious and perhaps lower altitude where possible. It's better to be aware of your surroundings than be oblivious to it. How many people lost their drone, just because they feel no wind where they stand, and assume there no wind at the altitude where their drone is flying? Sometimes, people choose to be ignorant, and when things go wrong, they don't take responsibility.
And the high wind warning says fly with caution, not land immediately. So, that's what you are supposed to do. Not ignore, and not try to disable any warning that might feel inconvenient to you.

I'm still looking into whether my drone has a genuine problem or the wind warnings are typically a little optimistic. I'm getting mixed answers. If you search there are hundreds of wind warning complaints.
As I said earlier, I want an option to turn the warnings on or off when I chose, not permanently disable them.
To me they are annoying because if you stick to height and LOS laws, you "generally" feel if there is a breeze and I already know to fly with caution before I even take off. If it's blowing a gale outside I can already see that for myself too. I done need the drone to tell me.

Also what happens is a warning comes up, ok thanks I know. I'll clear that now so I can see my screen properly. Then 30 seconds later the same warning appears and the process keeps repeating. If you have a bad memory and are happy with that then good for you but to me it's annoying and I want to disable it.

Do you take off and your drone instantly gets blown to hell by a gale wind and then say - I didn't get a chance to see the warning on the screen?" hahaha

Reactions: Tinmania
I'm still looking into whether my drone has a genuine problem or the wind warnings are typically a little optimistic. I'm getting mixed answers. If you search there are hundreds of wind warning complaints.
As I said earlier, I want an option to turn the warnings on or off when I chose, not permanently disable them.
To me they are annoying because if you stick to height and LOS laws, you "generally" feel if there is a breeze and I already know to fly with caution before I even take off. If it's blowing a gale outside I can already see that for myself too. I done need the drone to tell me.

Also what happens is a warning comes up, ok thanks I know. I'll clear that now so I can see my screen properly. Then 30 seconds later the same warning appears and the process keeps repeating. If you have a bad memory and are happy with that then good for you but to me it's annoying and I want to disable it.

Do you take off and your drone instantly gets blown to **** by a gale wind and then say - I didn't get a chance to see the warning on the screen?" hahaha
You are obviously thinking about what is convenient for you. You are not the only person flying a drone. There are different types of pilots out there. Some will fly with common sense, some don't. If DJI gives the option to turn it off, there'll be people who will turn it off permanently, because it's annoying. Some will fly >1 km out, and the wind further away is not the same as the wind you feel where you are, especially out in the ocean.
Sometimes, it's not just about you.

Reactions: SXViper03
You are obviously thinking about what is convenient for you. You are not the only person flying a drone. There are different types of pilots out there. Some will fly with common sense, some don't. If DJI gives the option to turn it off, there'll be people who will turn it off permanently, because it's annoying. Some will fly >1 km out, and the wind further away is not the same as the wind you feel where you are, especially out in the ocean.
Sometimes, it's not just about you.

That’s why we have options to suit what different people want. There are options to turn off the obstacle avoidance so why not the wind warnings? I’m referring to the red warnings by the way. The yellow more stronger warnings are much less frequent and do require extra care to be taken. Even so, when I get these I am already aware there is a stiff wind blowing.

If I crash or lose my drone because of high wind I would not blame the machine or anyone but myself. Wind warnings or not.

I

None that I know of.
Do you know of anyone that lost their drone due to excessive wind but can honestly say they didn't notice any wind?
Yes, plenty of new people who posted their "I lost my Mavic thread". The most notable was when the guy lost his in the ocean as it couldn't make the return trip.

Reactions: joejaxvic123
That’s why we have options to suit what different people want. There are options to turn off the obstacle avoidance so why not the wind warnings? I’m referring to the red warnings by the way. The yellow more stronger warnings are much less frequent and do require extra care to be taken. Even so, when I get these I am already aware there is a stiff wind blowing.

If I crash or lose my drone because of high wind I would not blame the machine or anyone but myself. Wind warnings or not.
Yes, but if the drone is lost, DJI might be held liable. They are doing this to cover their *****. I personally just ignore them, once I notice them.

I use an app called UAV forecast to check different altitude winds.

Attachments

• 779E2371-8554-478E-95C4-AF54B1C374DA.png
    779E2371-8554-478E-95C4-AF54B1C374DA.png
    872 KB · Views: 34
  • 665F71CB-45FF-4EA8-904A-D5C000894BE4.png
    665F71CB-45FF-4EA8-904A-D5C000894BE4.png
    893.4 KB · Views: 40
Reactions: PaulNH
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics