DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Annoying Wind Warnings

Grizzo

Reactions
I have flown a few times now in dead calm conditions and still get the wind warning coming up on the screen. Even at low altitude when there is clearly no wind at all!

Even when it is a bit breezy, the warnings seem to come up at any random time. It gets a bit annoying.
I would rather turn this feature off and use my own judgement.

Something out of calibration? I've only had a couple, but it was noticably windy. Hopefully it's not something too serious.

Does your judgement extend to 400ft of altitude?

When you get a wind warning do you come and immediately land or do you continue flying and use your own judgement? Going by how many warnings I get, you would never be in the air if you didn't use you own senses.

I would rather turn it on or off as I please. If I think I need it, I'll turn it on.
Seeing all the false warnings I'm getting you have to question how effective it really is as I get the warnings on every flight at random intervals and even when there is no wind at all.

Reactions: sbels and ted35
My take is that if there are frequent wind warnings in dead calm air it is better to figure out why that is happening than turn off the warnings—if that is even possible.

The Mavic doesn’t doesn’t directly know what the wind speed is. It only knows that it takes X amount of thrust/pitch to keep itself in position and if X exceeds a certain amount it assumes high wind.

There have been cases where incorrect compass data caused a Mavic to correct its own incorrect movement and thought it was happening due to wind.

Mike

You do understand that just because there is no breeze on the ground does not mean that the winds aloft are also nonexistent, no?

Yes, I know. I've been close to myself, lower than trees that are not moving at all and dead calm on the ground where I'm standing. Warning still comes up sometimes.

Yes, I know. I've been close to myself, lower than trees that are not moving at all and dead calm on the ground where I'm standing. Warning still comes up sometimes.
Recalibrate the compass and IMU. Something is off then.

It is well known that those wind warnings are overly sensitive and that is why many opt to turn them off.
In “dead calm conditions?” I have never gotten a wind warning in conditions like that. Presumably the OP is also well aware of wind changes with altitude so I’m taking his assessment of dead calm as meaning: no wind or very little wind.

Mike

No it isn't. I only get a warning if there actually is a fair amount of wind to fight against.

Some people seem to think that because they don't experience something, that it is impossible that others have. So...
LMGTFY
As you can see, MANY people experience this. There are tutorials on how to turn it off.

First things first. Definitely do a compass calibration and reset anything you can. It's not hard to do, and the app steps you through it. Like Tinmania says, the MP uses data from it's correction pitch, yaw, power settings v. GPS apparent position change to decide if there are strong winds or not. It does not have the sophistication of larger aircraft that can scan the ground to determine ground speed v. air speed and direction. You might want to be sure the downward sensors are clean. I had a friend who put a big red, one meter long ribbon on the back of his quad, so he could see it better as it flew. Had to take it off, because the quad kept "seeing" the ribbon fluttering during certain maneuvers and taking odd maneuvers as a result. Great idea, but not so good in real-life execution. A bit of grass or other debris near a sensor could cause erroneous data. Something that might help you zero in on what the issue is, is to see if you can figure out if there's a specific flight maneuver that makes the warning come up. Does it happen when you're turning, hovering, flying fast, slow, straight line, climbing, etc, etc. And one last thing, just a thought I had. Have you crashed your quad hard, ever? One of the arms could conceivably be out of alignment, or doesn't fully extend due to damage, causing the quad to have to compensate with prop RPMs, and interpreting that as wind speed. Not likely, but there's a chance.

Reactions: Hoefantasy
Some people seem to think that because they don't experience something, that it is impossible that others have. So...
LMGTFY
As you can see, MANY people experience this. There are tutorials on how to turn it off.
I'm not aware of any settings to turn them off. Did I miss an update on the FW?

When you get a wind warning do you come and immediately land or do you continue flying and use your own judgement? Going by how many warnings I get, you would never be in the air if you didn't use you own senses.

I would rather turn it on or off as I please. If I think I need it, I'll turn it on.
Seeing all the false warnings I'm getting you have to question how effective it really is as I get the warnings on every flight at random intervals and even when there is no wind at all.

I suggest you retrieve the DAT files for the flights in question. The wind speed calculations are in those files and can be compared with the pitch and roll data.

Reactions: laurens23
anyone see the ( insert term here ) who posted recently he set the height to 1600 feet, then could not understand why his drone could not make it back after the winds carried it off

Go read a TAF sometime and see where the wind is not all that far AGL

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milixa9705