DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

More cold weather comments

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
After 2023 finishing up without any serious winter weather, a bit of chill finally arrived and we dipped down to -40. That was only at night so things warmed up to -30F and I decided to toss the Mini 4 Pro up to see how it would do. I was hesitant to fly it far away as I have mobility issues and if it went down I would not be able to easily get it back so most of the time was just hovering but I did fly it a few hundred yards back and forth as well as a fair bit of time just going up and down. I actually got 27min of flight time before a RTH was initiated. I cancelled the RTH and roughly two minutes later it was a forced landing. The flight started with 95% battery. I got a Battery Temp too Low after just 12 minutes. On a previous flight at -20F I got that warning and kind of freaked out as I'd never seen that with my Mavic 3 or FPV which can fly without problem at those temps. I flew back across a river worried that my Mini 4 was going to drop out of the sky at any moment, hence this test. After 21 min and in spite of Low Temp warnings I still had 37% battery life. The Low Temp warnings went away at one point while just hovering which made sense as the load on the battery generates heat and apparently the wind from the props isn't too hard on it. Later that day I was able to fly my Mini 4 Pro into my house and bust it up. It wasn't easy but I pulled it off after having turned off Obstical Avoidance. It's on it's way to DJI for some tough love and I thoroughly scolded it for not paying attention when I failed to pay attention. My Avata, FPV, Mav3 and other drones appreciated the extra air time so there's always an upside! If we can eek out some mid day -40F I'm going to do a bit more flying but I already know that my Mav3 is limited to about 15min at -40F if it's actually flying around so I'm going to check out the Avata. With the Avata's exposed battery I know it will wimp out fairly quickly as it has done similarly even in not-so-cold temps of -20F. We'll see.... It's kind of sad that we no longer get -60F temps like we used to. Keep burning those fossil fuels! :)

Sorry to hear about your Mini 4. Hopefully you will get it back soon.

We don't have temperatures as cold as you do were I live but in the past in January it would not be unusual to have temperatures in the range between -20ºC to -30ºC or sometimes even colder and the ice on the large lake in the area would freeze up between Christmas and New Years. We had a cold snap last week and the daytime temperatures ranged from -17ºC in the morning to a high of -13ºC in the afternoon. I was out flying my Mini 3 Pro in -13/14ºC temperatures without any problems. Today it is 1ºC and pouring rain - go figure. Our ice finally froze over on January 20th or 21st even later than last year. Every year it seems to be getting warmer!

Chris

Reactions: MWCarlsson
Sorry to hear about your Mini 4. Hopefully you will get it back soon.

We don't have temperatures as cold as you do were I live but in the past in January it would not be unusual to have temperatures in the range between -20ºC to -30ºC or sometimes even colder and the ice on the large lake in the area would freeze up between Christmas and New Years. We had a cold snap last week and the daytime temperatures ranged from -17ºC in the morning to a high of -13ºC in the afternoon. I was out flying my Mini 3 Pro in -13/14ºC temperatures without any problems. Today it is 1ºC and pouring rain - go figure. Our ice finally froze over on January 20th or 21st even later than last year. Every year it seems to be getting warmer!

Chris
No big deal. I have had to use DJI care a few times for assorted issues and they have been prompt and really responsive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chrislaf
@akdrone hope you get your drone back soon ,i would personally be more worried about my temperature, in the temps you fly in ,as well as the drone of course,makes me cold just thinking about it

Reactions: Dbez1
I prefer flying in the colder temperatures we had last week as the air is dry. Although it was windy a few times which made the wind chill around -20C which makes it more difficult to keep the hands warm and stay out as long.

This week the air has been moist and with the temperature hovering around -2ºC and the dew point at the same temperature and I had prop icing for the first time ever on both my Mavic 3 Pro and my Phantom 3 Standard. Neither drone gave me any problems but I was aware of the possibility of icing (flying over a frozen lake and creek with nobody in sight). What surprised me was that the icing was on the bottom of the underside of the props, so I had actually made two flights with my Mavic 3 and didn't realize there was icing until I went to put it away. I had always thought the prop icing would be on the top side.

Chris

IMG_0385.JPG

Reactions: Ancient Aviator
If low battery temperatures are a concern what about, where possible, some insulation around the battery?

@akdrone ,
I read one one of your posts saying you had returned the Mini 4 Pro
,so have you bought another one ,or did you change your mind??

sorry about photo of my dog was just trying to see if i could get pics on here trying some thing different keith

Attachments

• 1000002149.jpg
    1000002149.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 2
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member