DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

It's official - M4P can't handle the cold

Wow! While shooting in Nebraska once it was -23 (with the wind chill) and it hurt any exposed skin. No thank you! Those are some extreme temps.

DJI states that the Mini 4 Pro is capable of operating in -10Ā°C to 40Ā°C.

Stay warm, and happy flying!

It's frightfully cold up there at the north pole, but one benefit is the friendly locals. Perhaps @akdrone can regale us with tales of some great banjo and beers with his buddies after a good flight.

šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Ask and ye shall receive. Here I am with friends but alas, no beer :).

If I turn up the heat once the water my eggs are cooking in starts to boil at 100C, they don't boil any faster. So I assumed that the reverse is true and that I wouldn't freeze any quicker at -20C than at -1C.

If I turn up the heat once the water my eggs are cooking in starts to boil at 100C, they don't boil any faster. So I assumed that the reverse is true and that I wouldn't freeze any quicker at -20C than at -1C.
Not true. Eggs don't boil any faster because the water isn't getting any hotter. They remain at a constant 100C. The extra heat is being used to vaporize the water. -20C is colder than -1C so yeah...you'd get colder faster. Imagine liquid nitrogen at -195C....

Not true. Eggs don't boil any faster because the water isn't getting any hotter. They remain at a constant 100C. The extra heat is being used to vaporize the water. -20C is colder than -1C so yeah...you'd get colder faster. Imagine liquid nitrogen at -195C....
Yep! If ambient temp is -20C, youā€™ll get down to freezing (0C) quicker than if itā€™s only -1C. šŸ„¶
Donā€™t relish the idea of either!

Yep! If ambient temp is -20C, youā€™ll get down to freezing (0C) quicker than if itā€™s only -1C. šŸ„¶
Donā€™t relish the idea of either!
If you spend a few hours at -60F doing Aurora photography you'll learn that -20C can be perceived as "nice out".

Just the left side of my brain telling me that if water can't get hotter than 100C, no matter how much more it is heated, then human blood and flesh shouldn't get any colder than 0C no matter how much colder the surrounding air is. Can I get a Nobel prize for this?

You'd be wrong šŸ˜

Boiling water is constant temperature, 100Ā°C, for the entire time you're cooking the egg. It has no contact with the colder world outside, so the outside temp is irrelevant once the water starts boiling.

In contrast, anything in contact with the external cold temp will cool faster in colder weather because the rate of heat transfer between two bodies is proportional to the temperature difference.

This does affect the egg cooking process, but only by making it take longer to bring water to a boil.

Flew Mini4pro in Northern Norway this evening, car indicated outside temp of -12Ā°C, using standard battery got over 21 minutes flight time. Checked props for icing, none. Used a lot of caution, checking batt temps, did n't fly more than 80m from home point.

Reactions: 3rdof5
Flew Mini4pro in Northern Norway this evening, car indicated outside temp of -12Ā°C, using standard battery got over 21 minutes flight time. Checked props for icing, none. Used a lot of caution, checking batt temps, did n't fly more than 80m from home point.
Northern Norway at -12C? Must be a heatwave. Anchorage (just south of Alaska) is on the coast so they get that kind of balmy weather in the winter too.

Following this thread now. I'm in Central Alberta and I just got my Mini4 Pro a few weeks ago. I've flown a few times at about -8C to -10C and battery life has been pretty good (compared to my last HolyStone Drone). We're about to drop to -25C this week and I'm curious to see how they do. Does anyone have any experience between the regular battery and the battery+ in the cold? I've been considering buying one of those.

You all have me very curious now. I really haven't flown my Mavic 3 or either of my mini's in very cold weather, might have had my Mavic 3 out in minus 10C. Not the mini's, yet. But having flown my Phantom 3 Pro numerous times in very cold weather, as cold as minus 31C one flight, without any issue whatsoever, I just trust these birds in cold weather. Now I'm gonna have to test my mini 4 pro (and my Mavic 3) if we ever get some winter here in Alberta, Canada. Plus 1C here right now.

Found the guy who summoned the -50Ā° weather in Alberta last week. Get em'!

Reactions: 3rdof5
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian