DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone temps in cold weather - Two Graphs

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Recently I posted about my Mini4 Pro showing a Battery Temp Too Low screen warning recently. On that same day I had no issue with my Mav3Pro which is not surprising given its size. Out of curiosity I went to Airdata.com to look at the battery temp graphs. Here's some interesting information.

The first pic is a graph from the Mini4Pro.The temp was -20F with a light wind of 3.1mph according to Airdata. Flight time was 13min, and it landed with 57% battery and 25min of predicted flight time left. The Minimum temp had to be when I got the warning of battery temp too low.

The second graph is my Mavic 3 Pro shot on the same day earlier in the day, so maybe 5deg or so colder? It shows what I have long held which is how the Mavic 3 series is virtually unaffected by temps down to 0F and I would suggest quite a bit colder than that, while the Mini line must be flown with some caution in those temperature ranges. The caution holds for the Avata. The FPV is as impervious to cold as the Mavic series although that is just from experience flying them at -20F where I've had little problem.

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 5.10.26 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 4.27.25 PM.png

Last edited:
Recently I posted about my Mini4 Pro showing a Battery Temp Too Low screen warning recently. On that same day I had no issue with my Mav3Pro which is not surprising given its size. Out of curiosity I went to Airdata.com to look at the battery temp graphs. Here's some interesting information.

The first pic is a graph from the Mini4Pro.The temp was -20F with a light wind of 3.1mph according to Airdata. Flight time was 13min, and it landed with 57% battery and 25min of predicted flight time left. The Minimum temp had to be when I got the warning of battery temp too low.

The second graph is my Mavic 3 Pro shot on the same day earlier in the day, so maybe 5deg or so colder? It shows what I have long held which is how the Mavic 3 series is virtually unaffected by temps down to 0F and I would suggest quite a bit colder than that, while the Mini line must be flown with some caution in those temperature ranges. The caution holds for the Avata. The FPV is as impervious to cold as the Mavic series although that is just from experience flying them at -20F where I've had little problem.

View attachment 171525

View attachment 171522
Nice comparison. Must have something to do with relative size and the structure resulting from the minimal weight design objective like injection molding wall thickness. I'm curious but not enough to rip apart a battery LOL.

Nice comparison. Must have something to do with relative size and the structure resulting from the minimal weight design objective like injection molding wall thickness. I'm curious but not enough to rip apart a battery LOL.
agreed :)

Reactions: PhilJenkins

View attachment 171525

View attachment 171522
I'm curious when considering the flucuation in temp whether there's a risk to the integrity or structure of the battery or the drone itself. I haven't heard anything about that but does make me wonder if there’s a hidden risk to flying in extreme cold temps. Great info here and much appreciated when users post this kind of content!

Reactions: @Rip
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne